• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Learning in progress

Basekomp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/18
I’ve made several threads, so I figured I’d just make one and document as I go.

I was going to tear down a movement today but I don’t have enough time to dedicate to that, so I figured i would try to clean up the case.

This is a beater BP (I think) 16613LB in meeehhh condition. I pulled off the bezel (which is all messed up, which I’ll address another time) and got to bushing and polishing. Cleaned up in between the lugs, removed the crystal, and cleaned up the rehaut too. The crystal went back in easy, I was expecting it to be more difficult.

I hope to tackle the movement next week as I’m sure I’ll need a good amount of time. Until then ill continue small stuff I find in the unwanted WatchBox.

VLdbBr.jpg

VLdzYU.jpg

VLd1NI.jpg

VLdyU8.jpg

VLdI43.jpg

VLdCPb.jpg

VLdQyo.jpg

VLdUHL.jpg

VLdRK2.jpg

VLdnkK.jpg

VLd0Yd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hoosier Watch Guy

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It was already bent when I got it. :/
Ugh.

It wasn't me. :)

But it's so damn easy to do - it's a real shame if it was sold to you without that having been mentioned tho.

Last edited:

Basekomp

11/8/18
Did you manage to bend your bezel like I did on my (very nice) 16613LB, not realising it had the circular clip fastening all round?

The bezel wasn’t bent when I got it, but I did manage to bend it while removing. More interesting is that the ring and groove that the ring sits in is pretty bad. I’ll redo that tomorrow.

Basekomp

11/8/18
Well, now I'm confused... :)

Sorry i was trying to use Tapa - guess that alone proves that tapa sucks. I was trying to edit that post, and I guess it posted instead of edited.

The bezel itself was not bent when i got it. I bent it trying to remove the bezel. The inner groove is bent. Actually the groove isn’t bent, it’s ridiculously mangled, to the point where the clip won’t even fit inside in some places. I’ll post pics tomorrow when I work on it. It’s bad.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Sorry i was trying to use Tapa - guess that alone proves that tapa sucks. I was trying to edit that post, and I guess it posted instead of edited.

The bezel itself was not bent when i got it. I bent it trying to remove the bezel. The inner groove is bent. Actually the groove isn’t bent, it’s ridiculously mangled, to the point where the clip won’t even fit inside in some places. I’ll post pics tomorrow when I work on it. It’s bad.
Ah right - yeah, Tapa can be a Pita :)
So, sounds like you had the same experience I had - but in your case with worse consequences. The problem with this bezel’s construction is that it bends so damn easily. Other times I’ve discovered a bezel is held in by the circlip wire, it’s been because the bezel will not budge - so it’s obvious why. With these BP bezels, instead of not budging, they bend... really easily! Fortunately mine was able to be flattened and re-used. But I checked the price of a replacement at an AD, and it was only around $40 for a full case set IIRC. Which is handy to know!

Basekomp

11/8/18
Ah right - yeah, Tapa can be a Pita :)
So, sounds like you had the same experience I had - but in your case with worse consequences. The problem with this bezel’s construction is that it bends so damn easily. Other times I’ve discovered a bezel is held in by the circlip wire, it’s been because the bezel will not budge - so it’s obvious why. With these BP bezels, instead of not budging, they bend... really easily! Fortunately mine was able to be flattened and re-used. But I checked the price of a replacement at an AD, and it was only around $40 for a full case set IIRC. Which is handy to know!

COMPLETE PITA. Hate it, don’t want it anymore! Lol

Basekomp

11/8/18
I’ve written this post twice and both times were lost while trying to upload pics from picr as the browser reloaded.

Instead of a long post, here’s the cliff notes.

C spring is what’s causing damage to groove in bezel. When being pushed in, if it’s not sitting perfectly it creates high spots and the insert doesn’t sit flush on said spots. While trying to push in insert to fit, the watch slipped and fell on the hardwood floor. Hands and couple hour markers fell out. I said fuck the insert and just put everything together to live another day.

Lessons learned: this BP bezel is terrible, rodico is awesome and shit happens, get over it and keep moving forward.

Next week I’ll try taking apart the movement.

519aecc340eaf60d7c75dd7458f378bc.jpg

dd995d1cd85fb7486d4146f0373c621e.jpg

4db8bcfb0158649d3ff8ba1fcfa7906d.jpg

9eef651a6c4ae3caca9b0f946831361e.jpg
a4eea91c5c8c27fc2f334891750aa150.jpg
4e4642faa98f991e95f8e3b7a4de45ce.jpg
a8e5245eddc9ef36d4d9725b1b66d744.jpg

7edf28b7988de1d4c9ca28b308aa7a88.jpg

c21124ffc190d9e8eac98908b0c6ecef.jpg

4db8bcfb0158649d3ff8ba1fcfa7906d.jpg

Last edited:

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Holy mother of fail hehehe you should use a tape trick to hold the spring when installing bezel back.

You have a lot to learn mate !:) Good luck keep trying:)

If something doesn't go as planned leave it for another day. Don't get frustrated with watches, this never ever ends well.

Watches learn patience that's why it's a nice hobby

Basekomp

11/8/18
Holy mother of fail hehehe you should use a tape trick to hold the spring when installing bezel back.

You have a lot to learn mate !:) Good luck keep trying:)

If something doesn't go as planned leave it for another day. Don't get frustrated with watches, this never ever ends well.

Watches learn patience that's why it's a nice hobby

Yup. Another lesson learned today. The bezel was already thrashed when I took it off. So it is what it is. Compared to the gen style bezels it’s so meeeeh.

Basekomp

11/8/18
That bezel looks buggered mate. I’d be inclined to order a replacement full case set. As I mentioned in my thread, it’s only £40.

I have a nice 16613LB Franken, so I’m not really worried about this one. This was just to see if I would like the bluesy, and I did immediately. :)

1bd4c124ea0b55d71e52383a1890c8e0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I have a nice 16613LB Franken, so I’m not really worried about this one. This was just to see if I would like the bluesy, and I did immediately. :)
Nice. Specs on the Franken?

Basekomp

11/8/18
Nice. Specs on the Franken?

I bought the watch as is, so I don’t want to take any credit for the build, but it’s an awesome build none the less.

wm9z massaged case
tickleshoes movement
WSO 18k bezel, bracelet
gen dial hands insert crown tube clasp

Basekomp

11/8/18
Haven’t touched the eta yet, but did get in a place holder dial for my Daytona, along with a jubilee. I need to do some work to get the end links to fit better.

VLACEG.jpg

VLAUep.jpg

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I bought the watch as is, so I don’t want to take any credit for the build, but it’s an awesome build none the less.
wm9z massaged case
tickleshoes movement
WSO 18k bezel, bracelet
gen dial hands insert crown tube clasp

Heh, since I posted the question, I've been fortunate enough to join the club and now own a 16613 Franken too. Wear yours in good health sir!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area

1bd4c124ea0b55d71e52383a1890c8e0.jpg

I was at my local watch smith the other day, had to pick up a spring drive bezel, he had a bluesy gen that needed full service and a new bracelet (original was worn out)...he told me the owner did not want to spend very much money on it...said he only paid $4500 many years ago! I almost asked what would happen to the bracelet once he replaced it....but I held back!