• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Polished movement?

Basekomp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/18
Another entry into the polishing diary.

Working on an old bp (i think) 16613, I pulled out the movement and was about to tear it down. I started wondering about movements, and how all the really, really high end watches have incredibly finished movements. Then I started wondering, what would happen if I polished the movement?

I’m probably going to end up breaking the movement as I tear it down, but hopefully I’ll be able to put it back together in without losing a screw. So before the madness begins, I did a little polishing. Before is in the case, after is in the holder showing light reflection.

VL7dBZ.jpg

VL77Te.jpg

VL7qCT.jpg

VL7H8R.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Please no....

If you use paste to polish it will create dust particles that will clog up all your movement, if you use microfiber or other materials it will lose lint and will clog up your movement.

All debris will instantly contaminate your oils in the jawels etc. If you want to play like this you need to dismantle the movement, cover the jawels etc somehow and they play with it but remember to beg, ultrasonic clean everything after you done. Make sure you don't overpolish some surfaces as this might create uneven pressure on bridges etc.

I think you better not play with it as you might end up running your movement :p

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Please no....
If you use paste to polish it will create dust particles that will clog up all your movement, if you use microfiber or other materials it will lose lint and will clog up your movement.
I mean, I know very, very, very little about watchsmithery, but even I looked at these pics and was thinking, “Wait, polishing parts of an intact movement? How much CRAP is going to be deposited into the movement..?!” :)

Basekomp

11/8/18
Yeah, I know. I just polished the rotor and I think that’s the main plate. I didn’t go any further for the reasons you mentioned. This is an old beater I’m using to learn. It’ll all get torn apart eventually. Just was wondering if anyone has thought of / has done anything similar.

I know it’s not the same, but if little bits and pieces are polished in the engine bay of a modded car, why not under a case back? I’m not saying everything - but why not a select few?

Basekomp

11/8/18
Before the pitchforks come out - Please understand that I don’t care about this watch and this will be all torn apart, ultrasonic cleaned, and hopefully be put back together (and working lol).

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Before the pitchforks come out - Please understand that I don’t care about this watch and this will be all torn apart, ultrasonic cleaned, and hopefully be put back together (and working lol).

if that is the case...I would at least take off the balance. That is the one thing you don't want to screw up.