• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

(Thoughts / Advice) Gen 16013 Dial install on Vintage 1982 Swiss Sandoz ETA 2872 Automatic Date

mslucas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/9/12
Hi Everyone - First, out of the gate, I have to say thank you some of the more active members posting great information about watch builds...Over the last month, I've spent many hours pouring through detailed how to posts, and project review posts. Those are amazing, so thank you and well done.

I started at this forum years ago when I dabbled with some replicas. I had Rolex/Tudor/Omega Tastes, on a budget that supported a most a nice steinhart, or zeno swiss homage style watch.

In the last month or so, I've returned to the hobby. I started on a quest to obtain a watch suitable for daily wear from my birth year C.1982...I guess with age, comes the desire for things nostalgic : )

Like before, I had luxury taste, but only a slightly larger budget. Having had Reps both mid and high-ish grade, I don't want to go the replica route (remember the part about being suitable for daily wear). I want the watch to be solid and accurate, and build with the attention to detail and quality of higher end swiss watches from the early 80's era.

With all that said, after weeks of research boarding on obsession (somehow think many of you can relate) I've set out to build my first custom watch (for personal use not sale).

II would really appreciate anyone that's willing to help with the following:
a.) provide pointers based on past projects / knowledge, or
b.) tag a friendly member who may be willing to review my post and answer questions on this type of project?
--------------------------------------------------------------

On to the Build and Questions (With Pics):

Watch Base needs:
I started searching for 80's era Swiss Made Base watch, that I could then Install a Gen Rolex Dial on, then add as many Gen parts as possible over time.

First and Hopefully Only Candidate:

Very nice Vintage 1982 Swiss Sandoz ETA 2872. Confirmed Swiss Version, not one of the Indian/Asian lines they also had. The watch should arrive from German vintage watch dealer soon (tracking #s in hand).

Images of the actual watch and movement below:

Details on Watch Base:

Sandoz 21J ETA 2872 Automatic Date Movement:

Caseback:

Sandoz Movement Data:
11.5''', Dm= 25.6mm, Do= 26.0mm
H= 5.35mm
(dial spacer +0.15mm)
F= 1.6mm
T= 2.2mm
17/21/25 jewels
f = 28800 A/h
power reserve 44h

Stem W3514

Mainspring / battery
1.30 x 10.5 x 0.122 x 400mm

Hands
1.50 x 0.90 x 0.25mm
-----------------------------------------------------------

Details on Dial for the Project:

I just ordered today a 16013 Gold Linen Dial for Rolex 36mm version. I believe, but hope someone can confirm the feet are indeed in the same position as other ETA's that accept the dial feet configuration on the 16013. They are below date, and at around 11. What limited details I found was that the ETA 2872 has the same feet position as both the ETA 2824-2's and others like 2836's.

Can someone brave enough to be still reading confirm this is correct?

Images of Actual Gen Dial Below:

Apologies for the long post. Hopefully I have provided enough details for someone with knowledge of these builds to help out a long time lurker, but new poster to mod's boards, that would be appreciated!

P. S. Will work up a second post for the Second Base watch I ended up willing (Inadvertently). This is a pre-Seville day, date Bulova President Homage.

Up Next: Vintage 1982 (Surprise) Bulova Pre-Seville t3 day, date t3 case:

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
The gen Rolex dial feet will not fit the eta movement, the feet are indeed in a different position.

also note, the Gen Rolex dial date window is in a different position will not line up with eta movement date window.

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
You can buy a date wheel overlay to change the date position on your ETA. They're cheap like $15. WholesaleOutlet99 on Ebay sells them. There are multiple choices here as well. Such as riyi on eBay. Raffles time or Raffles dials. You could move the dial feet though. I also am not sure if it's possible to keep the original dial feet and drill holes in the movement spacer. I believe the ETA movement is 25.6 mm in diameter where the Rolex dial is 27.3 mm in diameter. I have a dial and eta movement. I'll check later for you. but to be sure you will have to relocate the feet.