• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Frustrated when first got into modding/repairs?

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Hello everyone,
Ive started to get into repairs and stripping down movements and opened up, 2 i believe 2813s. One of them gone to waste first lost the 2 of the 3 springs on dial side then i had bent the hairspring by not holding properly. Tried to fix that and next thing its in the bin. Got completely curled up.

At this point soo frustrated and just wondering does it get better or how have those who are doing modding repairs have gotten better and almost perfect at what they do? Any repairs lessons, courses you guys take? What would your advice at this point? I dont want to give up but everyday theres a new issue and ends up not being solved :(

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Im also wondering if all this is normal or is it just me thats going through this fails and frustration after? Maybe its cz of my transplant meds that my hands are not surgeon steady.

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
the DG you are trying to service is to say the least a poor movement, its is itself difficult to work on. if I were you I would start with a A2824 or A6497 they are a lot better to start of with.
The hairspring on a DG is a lighter (weaker) spring and is easily damaged on handling, the A2824 is a stiffer hairspring and will withstand an amount of rough handling. The calendar mechanism is also easier to work on.

Even after servicing, more likely than not you will yield poor performance result from the DG. I can see why you selected the DG to gain knowledge from, but good movement selection will make it easier for you.

To make it even easier strip the calendar and hour train completely off the movement and service the train side of the watch, forget the calendar and hour train. Concentrate on getting these parts of the movement serviced and working well. The train side of the movement is the heart of the movement. Do this several times and concentrate on the areas you struggle with, trying different techniques for handling the component's every time you assemble. Yes, you will damage or loose parts but that's part of building up your confidence and skills

First rule of servicing is," If you cant see it you cant fix it !." You need good eyesight and magnification, this is a must. Either a loupe, head visor or Microscope. Good quality tooling, especially tweezers and screwdrivers are an essential part of success.

It takes time to get used to handling parts and believe me everyone here has gone through the same issues you are having at present. No amount of tech sheets will build up the skills needed to service and handle the parts within.

Try, try and try again, you will succeed !

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
the DG you are trying to service is to say the least a poor movement, its is itself difficult to work on. if I were you I would start with a A2824 or A6497 they are a lot better to start of with.
The hairspring on a DG is a lighter (weaker) spring and is easily damaged on handling, the A2824 is a stiffer hairspring and will withstand an amount of rough handling. The calendar mechanism is also easier to work on.

Even after servicing, more likely than not you will yield poor performance result from the DG. I can see why you selected the DG to gain knowledge from, but good movement selection will make it easier for you.

To make it even easier strip the calendar and hour train completely off the movement and service the train side of the watch, forget the calendar and hour train. Concentrate on getting these parts of the movement serviced and working well. The train side of the movement is the heart of the movement. Do this several times and concentrate on the areas you struggle with, trying different techniques for handling the component's every time you assemble. Yes, you will damage or loose parts but that's part of building up your confidence and skills

First rule of servicing is," If you cant see it you cant fix it !." You need good eyesight and magnification, this is a must. Either a loupe, head visor or Microscope. Good quality tooling, especially tweezers and screwdrivers are an essential part of success.

It takes time to get used to handling parts and believe me everyone here has gone through the same issues you are having at present. No amount of tech sheets will build up the skills needed to service and handle the parts within.

Try, try and try again, you will succeed !

Well said.

+1 for a2824. DG is so cheap it's really not worth a hassle to open it up and much better and cost effective to just replace it.

Good tweezers and sharp screwdrivers are gonna help you tremendously. Remember even the most expensive screwdrivers will lose it shape, sometimes break etc. Good sharpening stone and guide is a must have if you don't want to spend $$$ for tips. I usually inspect my screwdrivers after every movement I service and just run then on the stone to.be ready for the next one.

We are talking about reps here so scratches here and there don't bother anyone in the movement but what if you would service expensive decorated movement... Bad screwdriver tip can cost you a lot.
​​​​​​
you need a nice I call it "T" shape on the end of the screwdriver tip.

As for the flying/missing/broken parts we all have been there

​​​​​​I'm building nice magnetic sweep I'll post pictures later if you want to check it out. It will help you recover some of the parts.

Good luck

Reactions: p0pperini

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
ado213 oascom Thank you so so much for the input. I feel better after reading everyone goes throuhh this too.
i have bought good expensive tools as much as i could afford. I have a B ergonomic screw driver set and one tip broke others are kindly loosing shape. Some Bergeon oilers, a magnification table lamp from amazon. Also I have the screwdriver stand with sharpening stone from esslinger but idk if that would work as it seems really thin.
Dumont 1 and 3c And one brass tweezers number 3 and a screwdriver tweezer from esslinger too but i find it was waste of money :p

Ive also ordered 18 broken old se what rusted Seiko movements from the bay to get fluent but idk how ill take off the rust and wash them if i dont have an ultrasonic just yet.
oascom that would be great if you can show me the magnetic sweep once its finished :)

For the spare parts of movements, like wheels, screws etc, is there somewhere i can buy in bulk instead of spending 10-20$ for each on ebay?

Thanks once again, really appreciated!

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
if you have good tools, which you have wisely invested in, then get a loupe you will need around 10x loupe for watch work close up, remember, if you cant see it you cat fix it. I suspect your mag light is around 3.5x which is not strong enough for fine work

The Seiko movements will probably end up being a white elephant, especially if they are rusted, your setting your sights too high with these. Take my word and buy an A2824 for $50. Start with this, get to know it inside out, strip it, rebuild it and understand it. There are tech sheets available for this from the eta site and we have teardown tutorials here on RWI.

A2824 parts are available on ebay, but suggest you buy a couple of 2824's. there will be some for sale here on RWI, even if they are part movements they will be cheap and can be stripped for spares

Nothing beats disappointment more than success

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
if you have good tools, which you have wisely invested in, then get a loupe you will need around 10x loupe for watch work close up, remember, if you cant see it you cat fix it. I suspect your mag light is around 3.5x which is not strong enough for fine work

The Seiko movements will probably end up being a white elephant, especially if they are rusted, your setting your sights too high with these. Take my word and buy an A2824 for $50. Start with this, get to know it inside out, strip it, rebuild it and understand it. There are tech sheets available for this from the eta site and we have teardown tutorials here on RWI.

A2824 parts are available on ebay, but suggest you buy a couple of 2824's. there will be some for sale here on RWI, even if they are part movements they will be cheap and can be stripped for spares

Nothing beats disappointment more than success

I have also bought a Horotec 10x loupe and 4x and 8x attachable on glasses loupe from amazon.

Im looking for some spare 6497s and 2824s if they come by in m2m. Maybe my desk position is also awkward and uncomfortable i dont have a proper bench desk station

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Oh it's definitely frustrating, but hey, horology is a hobby AND a profession taking months and months of studies. But us we are not watchsmiths, so as such it takes time for beginners like us to understand all the "clicks and springs" things. It will take studies, errors and patience before sorting something out of it. I've digged into stripping down watches for a few weeks now from nothing, and trust me your nerves will get some hard times but that is what pushes you further also.

1rst, take these advices above from the experienced lads here : good tools will save you time.

2nd, never, NEVER loose your temper while working on a watch. Something doesn't go well? Drop it, take a break, read more about the technical infos you need with a clear mind and get back to it the day after.

Take your time, and most of all enjoy the hobby.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
find Ramon on fleabay "the watchcollector" and start there. Movements are cheap. Watches are cheap, and you can build some nice Seiko/Citizen divers. I've done plenty. You'll learn more than just movements...you can do cases, bracelets, crowns, stems....everything...and not spend a fortune. Once you feel comfortable, ETA's will be easy.

Reactions: mrsullivan

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
find Ramon on fleabay "the watchcollector" and start there. Movements are cheap. Watches are cheap, and you can build some nice Seiko/Citizen divers. I've done plenty. You'll learn more than just movements...you can do cases, bracelets, crowns, stems....everything...and not spend a fortune. Once you feel comfortable, ETA's will be easy.

I bought the dozen movement for a great price but theyre all rusted and dont even more around and idk if i should use WD40 or vinegar or how to clean those with ultrasonic machine yet. Still searching for oiling guide on seikos too.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
2813s are not meant to be fixed imo. They’re just throw away movements.

Start with a 6497 as mentioned. Those are easy to take apart and fairly easy to assemble. They keyless works are easy too bc it’s a screw and not a push button thing.

It is extremely frustrating at first but it does it get better. Just have to be extremely patient and work in a clean room. No carpet if possible. Nowhere for any parts to hide if it flies off the table.

Also get a bright LED lamp. I got a great one at the dollar store. I was very surprised at how great it was. It’s a small desk lamp that you can pivot around.

Just keep at it. I’ve been on this hobby for years and there are days where nothing seems to work and there are days where everything just works perfectly.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
2813s are not meant to be fixed imo. They’re just throw away movements.

Start with a 6497 as mentioned. Those are easy to take apart and fairly easy to assemble. They keyless works are easy too bc it’s a screw and not a push button thing.

It is extremely frustrating at first but it does it get better. Just have to be extremely patient and work in a clean room. No carpet if possible. Nowhere for any parts to hide if it flies off the table.

Also get a bright LED lamp. I got a great one at the dollar store. I was very surprised at how great it was. It’s a small desk lamp that you can pivot around.

Just keep at it. I’ve been on this hobby for years and there are days where nothing seems to work and there are days where everything just works perfectly.

Good luck

Hey budd! Thanks for the input. Yeah i decided to give up on 2813s i however got the train wheels and bridge to work lol.
now i have a lot of seikos old rusted just so i can try to clean them and assemble disassemble and get the hang of using tweezers and screwdrivers right.

also ordered some 6497s to practice on. Fingers crossed for future ;)

Wow for the dollar store lamp. Ours here in Canada atleast in my area have none. Im looking for a used maybe decent priced lamp which is super bright.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Hey budd! Thanks for the input. Yeah i decided to give up on 2813s i however got the train wheels and bridge to work lol.
now i have a lot of seikos old rusted just so i can try to clean them and assemble disassemble and get the hang of using tweezers and screwdrivers right.

also ordered some 6497s to practice on. Fingers crossed for future ;)

Wow for the dollar store lamp. Ours here in Canada atleast in my area have none. Im looking for a used maybe decent priced lamp which is super bright.

I might be selling mine soon as I upgraded to professional lamp

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
For sure it is frustrating but very rewarding. Try with an A2824 or 2836. Lots of videos on youtube on assembling and disassembly.

Reactions: Lutaito

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Did you guys have headaches lr dizziness because of using a loupe all the time?
I was using a magnifying lamp but had to bend and my back was hurting a bit so i tried to lower my seat and just use a loupe. Man im getting dizzy all day cz of this.

Any suggestions? How do u guys work so long with. Loupe on?

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Sooooo.. i my 6497s i bought (not working) came in.
All non working. They looked in good condition. balance wheel spins for couple seconds and then stops. I dont know what the cause is for this.

Just gave it a random guess to take off the balance wheel. Thinking maybe there would be some debris or the impulse jewel i think its called, the bottom of the balance wheel was not aligned, used a puffer and rel put the balance on and apparently it worked now and started beating. The other 2 movements same issue but the solution i did didnt work haha.

It felt so goood when the watch started to beat and knowing i got the non working movements.

Thought id share this peanut achievement with all thise who helped and motivated me.

Thanks peeps and RWI. Also if anyone can explain me the cause of the issue above id be grateful :)

Reactions: mrsullivan