• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best course of action - defective ZF AP 15500

Xilikon

20/8/19
I received my ZF AP 15500 last week from Puretime and while cosmetically, it's perfect, it's not so rosy mechanically. On QC photos, timegrapher result is +10.2s/d and 266 degrees, which is bordeline acceptable but if we follow Miyota 9015 specs, it's within specs. When I received it, i wound it manually and ajusted accurately to the second but after a few hours, it's already 3 mins fast and over 5 mins fast after one day. I tried to slap a bit on the palm and it stopped so I tried to rewind id then it ran fine but still 5 mins fast per day. After this, I noticed that if i screw the crown fully, it stop but unwinding 2 turns make it tick ok. And today, after reajusting to the nearby second, it then run slower.

I guess it's a balance wheel or mainspring issue with that watch. I sent a PM to puretime to determine what to do but with CNY, I know I won't really get a answer for a while. I'm not really keen to send it back to China due to high seizure risk and unneeded expense. I wonder if this is something easy to fix or a new movement need to be replaced ? If it were me, I would send it to a good watchsmith closer to me to service it and fix the issues then get refunded the cost by the TD.

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
I'm no watchsmith so take this with a grain of salt, but I've read that this could be caused by a watch becoming magnetized. Since I read it on the internet it has to be true, right?

Like I said, I'm no watchsmith but it might be worth looking into. I'm sure someone else can either confirm or deny this as a possibility. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Xilikon

20/8/19
I'm no watchsmith so take this with a grain of salt, but I've read that this could be caused by a watch becoming magnetized. Since I read it on the internet it has to be true, right?

Like I said, I'm no watchsmith but it might be worth looking into. I'm sure someone else can either confirm or deny this as a possibility. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had thought of this already and ordered a demagnetizer to test this option. However, due to the crown behavior on the movement, I think it might not be it. A demagnetizer is good to keep in the watch collector toolkit anyway.