• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any tips from the pros on bezel removal

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
For years I've fought with bezels and removing them , 9/10 ended up damaging the case or bezel.

I bought a vice type tool with the 4 blades on a while ago and while it worked ok on a fixed daytona bezel , it's useless against anything that rotates like a sub it just marks the case slightly, using it on an old broken watch just so see if it needed more force ended up cracking the actual blade ! On another old watch the tool wouldnt budge it , yet a case knife did pretty easily , though while marking the case and bezel of course...

I thought about pressing out the crystal in the hope the crystal/bezel ring would come out with it , but then that would end up stuck inside the bezel anyway.

There must be an easier way ! How are the guys who do mods on here removing them ? Its mainly 6 digit models that seem the worst.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I use the same tools but fold a thick plastic bag over the blades to avoid direct contact with the case. Have you tried that?

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
I use the same tools but fold a thick plastic bag over the blades to avoid direct contact with the case. Have you tried that?

Yeah tried with and without a bag or protector on the vice tool , same result it just grips the bezel but dosnt pull it away, it's like the gap between bezel and case is so tight the blades dont go in and it just clamps onto the bezel itself. even me pulling on the case away from it to try and pull it away from the bezel dosnt budge, yet the same watch a case knife popped it off ( though left Mark's on the case and bezel even with tape.

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Yeah tried with and without a bag or protector on the vice tool , same result it just grips the bezel but dosnt pull it away, it's like the gap between bezel and case is so tight the blades dont go in and it just clamps onto the bezel itself. even me pulling on the case away from it to try and pull it away from the bezel dosnt budge, yet the same watch a case knife popped it off ( though left Mark's on the case and bezel even with tape.

Did you try with a bag instead of tape on the knife? That’s what I use, although I have been known to scratch a case too. I wonder if a strong plastic would do the job?

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
I've tried a bag with the vice tool , but not a bag while using the case knife. The best I had was a phone repair tool that was a strong plastic spatula type thing , worked great on the Noob models but wouldnt budge BP or anything else I tried and got chewed up after a few uses.

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Have you tried this from Cousins UK

I had one of those a while ago Steve but it was useless and sent it back , just about worked on very loose bezels on some cheapys but nothing else

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Do you place watch upside down? I have similar tool but sliglty bigger and it has plenty of power to rip anything and no scratches so far. It's mirror polished and hardened tips sharp as a knife.

As for other tools there is this :

https://www.ebay.com/i/254306473096...14165&itm=254306473096&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2386202

Yeah upside down , Yours looks a lot more heavy duty/quality than what I have though. I guess I can try sharpening and polishing the tips on the one I have

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Yeah upside down , Yours looks a lot more heavy duty/quality than what I have though. I guess I can try sharpening and polishing the tips on the one I have

I know mine are so sharp I cut my fingers twice :p wedges bezels nicely. But I bought it as an attachment. The tool is for caseback opening. Top parts with blades is just attached

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
I know mine are so sharp I cut my fingers twice :p wedges bezels nicely. But I bought it as an attachment. The tool is for caseback opening. Top parts with blades is just attached

what brand are the blades or where did you get them , they look like the exact same attachment as mine I.e the two bolts.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I have the same one as the OP, found it mostly useless as well...used to have that piece of crap black plastic split ring thing as well...which went to the garbage. Here is what has worked for me...2 razor blades and a case back knife. I slip one razor blade in as far as I can between the case and bezel, slide the other underneath as far as it will go, then insert the caseback knife between the 2. Leaves no marks and pops the bezel off each time.

Probably only works on rotating bezels though.

I've had some limited success with the 4 knife tool. The problem I get is when the knifes can't slip under the bezel. As was stated, they probably need sharpened. I think you can buy replacement blades?...check Esslinger.

bobandshawn

Patron
29/10/13
Florida
This is what I found does the trip every time. START with a razor blade. It will slip under the bezel much easier to give you a little gap around the perimeter without scratching. THEN use a regular case knife with a piece of tape to pry it off completely.

B

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
I've ordered this contraption since it was cheap , on the off chance it helps :

Screenshot-20200115-142110-Amazon-Shopping.jpg

And this set of plastic blades since they didnt cost much too and might do the job of getting a gap without scratching anything.

Screenshot-20200115-142135-Amazon-Shopping.jpg

Savage Alpaca

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/19
Last bezel I did on a seiko, I used a crystal press from the inside, and had an adapter that fit the inside of the bezel, With a large enough cup underneath, it popped the bezel right off... I dont know if this translates to rep watches though, never done anything to one.

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
That first item is a plastic/acrylic crystal installer...not meant for a bezel

Yeah just thought it might work to get a grip of the bezel too , brass claws so wouldnt mark the steel.

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Last bezel I did on a seiko, I used a crystal press from the inside, and had an adapter that fit the inside of the bezel, With a large enough cup underneath, it popped the bezel right off... I dont know if this translates to rep watches though, never done anything to one.

I was wondering about that, fear is that it could crack the ceramic insert though