• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To the experts: how to obtain the satin finish? ( brushed as per gen)

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Well, it doesn’t get much more low-tech than this... But it does the job!

dd18748f344e561db449570891b5f607.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha! I actually thought about doing a similar set up. After you have a kid, you don’t get any space to work in so you have to get creative. That set up works great until the wheel gets caught on something and your bracelet or case goes flying through the cardboard. lol. I suppose it’s better than flying through the wall.

I always brush in 1 direction. For bracelets that taper down, I usually put the bracelet on my leg so it’s a similar shape. Then I brush with a scotch brite pad a few times. Then do a light polish with a jewel polish. Then re-brush the same way but I use a very fine sand paper. I have no idea what it’s called aside from what the package says. “Fine finishing grit”. The stuff feels like thick paper really. You can barely feel the grit but you get a nice satin finish.

Oh and the last step. I wash it using warm water. A stiff bristle tooth brush with toothpaste. Brushing in 1 direction.

I have no idea if the tooth paste makes a difference but it always looks ok to me so I still do it. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
I always brush in 1 direction. For bracelets that taper down, I usually put the bracelet on my leg so it’s a similar shape. Then I brush with a scotch brite pad a few times. Then do a light polish with a jewel polish. Then re-brush the same way but I use a very fine sand paper. I have no idea what it’s called aside from what the package says. “Fine finishing grit”. The stuff feels like thick paper really. You can barely feel the grit but you get a nice satin finish.

Oh and the last step. I wash it using warm water. A stiff bristle tooth brush with toothpaste. Brushing in 1 direction.

I have no idea if the tooth paste makes a difference but it always looks ok to me so I still do it. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thats something i will try. It would be a great help if we knew what grit sand paper it was. Googling shows me finer grits are above 360 and above

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Thats something i will try. It would be a great help if we knew what grit sand paper it was. Googling shows me finer grits are above 360 and above

Wow. I have 1000 and 1200 grit. I wouldn’t try and brush anything below 1000. If bc1221 says it feels like ‘paper’ I would say it’s above 1200 grit.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Wow. I have 1000 and 1200 grit. I wouldn’t try and brush anything below 1000. If bc1221 says it feels like ‘paper’ I would say it’s above 1200 grit.

1000+ grit is very much for polishing though? I can get a very reflective surface with 800 grit. If you start low, around 240-400 and dont go mental with the higher grits you will still have a brushed look but you cant brush say a rolex with 1000 grit. Its too fine.

Reactions: msc1967

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
1000+ grit is very much for polishing though? I can get a very reflective surface with 800 grit. If you start low, around 240-400 and dont go mental with the higher grits you will still have a brushed look but you cant brush say a rolex with 1000 grit. Its too fine.

Dunno...maybe I’m doing it wrong. I don’t think I could get a reflective surface with 800. I’ve found that even 1000 removes quite a bit of material and leaves a ‘sanded’ look. A scotch pad worked for me in terms of a brushed finish, but I’ve no idea what abrasive ‘number’ it would be? Maybe I need to try with the wet & dry paper again...

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Dunno...maybe I’m doing it wrong. I don’t think I could get a reflective surface with 800. I’ve found that even 1000 removes quite a bit of material and leaves a ‘sanded’ look. A scotch pad worked for me in terms of a brushed finish, but I’ve no idea what abrasive ‘number’ it would be? Maybe I need to try with the wet & dry paper again...

If your getting results that work for you, stick with it. No point listening to other people if its not going to achieve the look your after. All im saying is 1000 grit is way too fine. Your probably not getting an actual 1000 grit finish unless you work up through the grades and spend a lot of time sanding. Its probably just skimming the top and leaving most of the rougher finish from say scotchbrite or whatever you used before. Think going from 80 grit to 800. Might be a bit shinier than 80 grit finish but you would be there a bloody long time until it was truly an 800 finish.