• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To the experts: how to obtain the satin finish? ( brushed as per gen)

mascob1

6/11/16
Which grade pad do you recomend works best ?

I don't want to speak in place of yodog , but I think it depend of the " finesse" you want to get...But as I said, the succes depends of the technique! With pads, you need to brush very carefully and parallel because every hesitation and imperfection will be visible!
otherwise 3M make very good pads too.

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
I don't want to speak in place of yodog , but I think it depend of the " finesse" you want to get...But as I said, the succes depends of the technique! With pads, you need to brush very carefully and parallel because every hesitation and imperfection will be visible!
otherwise 3M make very good pads too.

Thanks , I've actually got a garyflex 120 pad but it only leaves a very faint brush, dosnt really get rid of existing brushing or scuffs

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thanks , I've actually got a garyflex 120 pad but it only leaves a very faint brush, dosnt really get rid of existing brushing or scuffs

How deep are your scuffs if a 120 pad doesn’t remove them? 5 minutes with a 120 block and i can get most brushed things looking new.

mascob1

6/11/16
How deep are your scuffs if a 120 pad doesn’t remove them? 5 minutes with a 120 block and i can get most brushed things looking new.

Yes, abrasive blocks are very useful !
I will order the 120, I only have the 240, very fine...but for the sketch it's not sufficient.
Indeed I looked to the oascom works and he made a very nice but not realy fine brushING. ...and it's beautiful!
​​​​

Last edited:

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
i have all of them - use a coarser grit first and then work down to finest. hold the bracelet/clasp in place and go even straight strokes

mascob1

6/11/16
i have all of them - use a coarser grit first and then work down to finest. hold the bracelet/clasp in place and go even straight strokes

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate :thumbup:

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
I found this to be invaluable as far as understand the experts process. Even if you have seen this it bears repeating.

https://100percentpassion.net/2016/0...ex-submariner/

ETA: You can use chrome to translate the pages on the fly...

That's great , I just had another go tonight with a mix of everything. Garyflex,sandpaper on sticks, scotchbrite sponges and 3m paper. I'm still not happy with the results , dont know if it's just that the factory look is impossible to recreate or I'm not using enough pressure, I mean it's better than it being scratched up but not as good as new.

I cant understand how the guy there got such straight lines by hand, I'd say that's my main struggle is keeping the lines straight, and getting a fine enough grain that still brushes out scratches.

mascob1

6/11/16
That's great , I just had another go tonight with a mix of everything. Garyflex,sandpaper on sticks, scotchbrite sponges and 3m paper. I'm still not happy with the results , dont know if it's just that the factory look is impossible to recreate or I'm not using enough pressure, I mean it's better than it being scratched up but not as good as new.

I cant understand how the guy there got such straight lines by hand, I'd say that's my main struggle is keeping the lines straight, and getting a fine enough grain that still brushes out scratches.

Did you use some lubricant ( oil or soap)?
I think it could make the difference...and of course the practice, the practice...As I ever said, " brusher/ polisher is a really complex job, that needs many years of experience...So we are just to the beginning...
​​

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17

If your struggling to keep it straight you could always build a jig. Two small lengths of wood spaced apart but parallel, with a couple of small holes in to put thin metal rods through and hold the bracelet part. Then just slide the block up and down in between the wood and the lines will be straight. Ill draw a pic if it would help?

Reactions: KJ2020

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
If your struggling to keep it straight you could always build a jig. Two small lengths of wood spaced apart but parallel, with a couple of small holes in to put thin metal rods through and hold the bracelet part. Then just slide the block up and down in between the wood and the lines will be straight. Ill draw a pic if it would help?

It would thanks ! , the best i managed was using a ruler along side the bracelet , I mean what it came out like was "ok" but im chasing a better result

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Did you use some lubricant ( oil or soap)?
I think it could make the difference...and of course the practice, the practice...As I ever said, " brusher/ polisher is a really complex job, that needs many years of experience...So we are just to the beginning...
​​

No lubricant no , would that help i have not seen mention of that before. Yes seems practice is the key ! looking on dhgate for a cheapy now haha

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
It would thanks ! , the best i managed was using a ruler along side the bracelet , I mean what it came out like was "ok" but im chasing a better result

Its no picaso but imagine the frame around the edge is wood, the two ‘pins’ are spring bar thickness metal rods, and the bracelet is in the middle. Just slide the block up and down the center and you cant have anything but straight lines.
aRfkP.png

Reactions: JDM180

mascob1

6/11/16
Its no picaso but imagine the frame around the edge is wood, the two ‘pins’ are spring bar thickness metal rods, and the bracelet is in the middle. Just slide the block up and down the center and you cant have anything but straight lines.
aRfkP.png

Simply. ...and great!
however...It could be a Picasso :D

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Im a simple kinda guy ;) i just do it free hand but ive got a lot of experience working with metal. Just seemed an easy way for everyone to be able to achieve similar results. To be fair picaso is pretty abstract so its not far off haha!

Reactions: JDM180

mascob1

6/11/16
Im a simple kinda guy ;) i just do it free hand but ive got a lot of experience working with metal. Just seemed an easy way for everyone to be able to achieve similar results. To be fair picaso is pretty abstract so its not far off haha!

I saw you have a lathe. I'M in the metal machining too...That's maybe for that I'M so interested in this hobby...
and I like Picasso;)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I saw you have a lathe. I'M in the metal machining too...That's maybe for that I'M so interested in this hobby...
and I like Picasso;)

Engineers like taking things apart and having a go haha! Something very satisfying when you can get it back together again! Plus it saves a few quid here and there, if you have a lot of watches the modding and repair costs really start adding up.