Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the experts: how to obtain the satin finish? ( brushed as per gen)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the experts: how to obtain the satin finish? ( brushed as per gen)

Hello dear friends.
    Sorry if we already talked about, but I really want to know how to brush bracelets and cases " as per gen".
    I have buffering wheels ( bufflex fd6) and 600 gr. Wheel, and I use a lathe to turn at 2500 rpm...
    the results are correct but not perfect...and that bothers me! I know there are here some very good modders ( @Johnnydeep,@spatiomtemporis...) May be they could explain their technics....May be they're already did it but I do some researches and don't find a lot of informations...Maybe it's me I had'not did my homework correctly...but all informations are welcome!
    thanks!
    Last edited by mascob1; 12-01-20, 11:08.

PM

Comment

after some tests, some correct results...
      it seems it's a sensitive subject...except beau7816 nobody want to share his secrets...

Comment

Originally posted by mascob1 View Post

after some tests, some correct results...
        it seems it's a sensitive subject...except beau7816 nobody want to share his secrets...
        Will you now share yours?

Comment

In my personal opinion as a gen and rep collector, I think the rep finish on ARF/noob reps is more than good enough from factory. In fact a lot better than the finish on most used gen Rollies I come across (most of not all have been polished/brushed by the jewellers in house “watchmaker” and looks far from new from Rolex spec)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pickledbeetroot View Post

Will you now share yours?
            No problem. I think that's one of the main reason of this section of RWI.
            As I explained I have no pretention, juste want to test and progress....
            First, I used a buffering wheel mounted on a lathe, with 2500rpm

the result was correct, but far from what I expected...
            I ask to @spatiomtemporis how he was making his brushing.
            So he kindly answered and I used some pads to refine the brushing...with patience and that's where I am now...

Comment

Originally posted by KSwatches View Post
              In my personal opinion as a gen and rep collector, I think the rep finish on ARF/noob reps is more than good enough from factory. In fact a lot better than the finish on most used gen Rollies I come across (most of not all have been polished/brushed by the jewellers in house “watchmaker” and looks far from new from Rolex spec)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Totally agree ! Infortunaly I don't have gen Rolex to compare, So I use my noob submariner to compare the brushing I made on my cheapie rep...

Comment

So what's the secret ??
                Current Rep Collection: TC V6 Sub | Rolex Explorer II White | Rolex Ceramic Sub | Rolex Submariner 1680 Red | Rolex SeaDweller | Rolex Deepsea | Rolex DRSD | Omega PO 42mm | Omega CRPO 45mm | Omega LMPO | Omega Moonwatch | PAM111 | Breitling SO Abyss 44 X2 | Lambo | Armani Ceramic | Various cheepies!
                Wanted: Omega Speedmaster moony|Breitling SO Abyss 44+42

Comment

QFOAHDT

Comment

Originally posted by JDM180 View Post
                    So what's the secret ??
                    I'M very disappointed...no secret in fact...Just the good tools and especially the good method. ..buffering and polishing is a real profession and it needs time to master....And i'M far away to master, but I try to progress slowly...

Comment

Comment

I'M very disappointed...no secret in fact...Just the good tools and especially the good method. ..buffering and polishing is a real profession and it needs time to master....And i'M far away to master, but I try to progress slowly...
                        So..what kind of method ? What pads did you use. Os there different grits to use ?

The best advice I found was to use 30 Micron lapping paper on a block, but I'm curious what other ways people have found. It always seems a bit too rough to me.
                        Current Rep Collection: TC V6 Sub | Rolex Explorer II White | Rolex Ceramic Sub | Rolex Submariner 1680 Red | Rolex SeaDweller | Rolex Deepsea | Rolex DRSD | Omega PO 42mm | Omega CRPO 45mm | Omega LMPO | Omega Moonwatch | PAM111 | Breitling SO Abyss 44 X2 | Lambo | Armani Ceramic | Various cheepies!

Comment

Originally posted by JDM180 View Post
                          So..what kind of method ? What pads did you use. Os there different grits to use ?
                          The best advice I found was to use 30 Micron lapping paper on a block, but I'm curious what other ways people have found. It always seems a bit too rough to me.
                          It's a secret.......
                          Ok, First, I bought on Aliexpress a buffering wheel 600gr AND a "professionnal" buffering wheel on a specialized website. I mounted them on my CNC lathe and turned at 2500 rpm...The very important facts are the density of the wheel and the speed rotation...My first surprise was that the "aliexpress wheel" was better than the "professionnal"...Of course, I buffering the bracelet always in the same way to have parallel lines.
                          The result was correct but not perfect! There were some imperfections and some "micro scratches" that boring me...
                          That's why I contacted Spatiumtemporis and he told me he only used abrasive pads to brush his [email protected] said the same...So after the buffering with the wheel, I took a "scotch britch" pad very fine (....A sponge for the dishes.....) and very sofly, with some soap on the bracelet, brushed in only one direction (no goings and comings)...And finaly for tweaking I used a abrasive block very fine ( Garryson "Garryflex") with a little bit of water.
                          One last thing: Never use pads clothes to clean the surface during the different operations, juste clean with water under a tap.
                          When it's finish and rinsed, you can use cloth...
                          ​​​​​​​That's my method...For the moment.

Comment

It's a secret.......
                            Ok, First, I bought on Aliexpress a buffering wheel 600gr AND a "professionnal" buffering wheel on a specialized website. I mounted them on my CNC lathe and turned at 2500 rpm...The very important facts are the density of the wheel and the speed rotation...My first surprise was that the "aliexpress wheel" was better than the "professionnal"...Of course, I buffering the bracelet always in the same way to have parallel lines.
                            The result was correct but not perfect! There were some imperfections and some "micro scratches" that boring me...
                            That's why I contacted Spatiumtemporis and he told me he only used abrasive pads to brush his [email protected] said the same...So after the buffering with the wheel, I took a "scotch britch" pad very fine (....A sponge for the dishes.....) and very sofly, with some soap on the bracelet, brushed in only one direction (no goings and comings)...And finaly for tweaking I used a abrasive block very fine ( Garryson "Garryflex") with a little bit of water.
                            One last thing: Never use pads clothes to clean the surface during the different operations, juste clean with water under a tap.
                            When it's finish and rinsed, you can use cloth...
                            That's my method...For the moment.
                            Thanks haha, That's not a mile away from what I used to do. What I find is the genuine have the effect of being polished/smooth and the brushed grain at the same time , whatever is done to replicate it always looks more scuffed up but like that is very close

Comment

sand paper 240 and then 320 .
                              Glue the paper on a stick and manually go in the same direction.

After 4 or 5 case you will be able to do a good work manually.

Comment

Working...
                              X