• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

+6secs a minute? How to fix?

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
Hey RWI'ers.

Have a watch that is running fine on a timegrapher but when worn is gaining @6secs per minute.

Have had a mainspring replaced on it and I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
Very inexperienced on my side but would love to get this running right.

Mvmt is a 2836.

Last edited:

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
6 seconds per day isnt too bad. You can open the caseback and make a fine adjustment to the regulator screw. You need the correct size screwdriver and want to turn the screw towards the '-' marker to slow it down. Each section or marking equates to around 5 seconds but it's not an exact science so make an adjustment, wear the watch for a few days then adjust again if required.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
Thanks for the reply.
i typo'd per day, sorry about that.

It's actually gaining @6secs per minute when worn.
Seems ok on the timegrapher but runs very vast when worn.

Could it be a magnetic issue?

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
Just to follow up on this.
Had the watch in with a watchmaker and he thinks it may be a gear train issue.

Watch will run fine when on timegrapher in position 1 but as soon as moved to others it starts galloping ahead.

Rebuild will cost more than the watch.
I've dropped the seller an email and hopefully as it's it's only just purchased they will offer some resolution.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

Watch will run fine when on timegrapher in position 1 but as soon as moved to others it starts galloping ahead.

I've dropped the seller an email and hopefully as it's it's only just purchased they will offer some resolution.

That sounds like absolute nonsense to me - why would putting the crown in date set or time set have any effect on the beat rate ?

A rebuild ? Just put a clone in there - they cost $85.

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
That sounds like absolute nonsense to me - why would putting the crown in date set or time set have any effect on the beat rate ?

Dropping a clone in, is exactly what I intend to do.
Have a 6460 on its way as I type.
I find the whole thing weird tbh.
​​​​​​
just kinda hope the seller will contribute towards the repair cost.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

i put my watch in time set , and it stops for some reason ....

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
The "position" comment is a misphrase on my part.
Not the crown position, but as the watch is repositioned or moved the timing starts running ahead.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
cosc-1000.jpg

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area

I am not sure how the gear train could possibly make it go faster. The train only responds to the escapement and mainspring. Maybe you have coils of the balance that touch either each other or the balance cock when it's moved? That would effectively make the spring shorter=faster. I'd replace the balance before I would change the mainspring.

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
I am not sure how the gear train could possibly make it go faster. The train only responds to the escapement and mainspring. Maybe you have coils of the balance that touch either each other or the balance cock when it's moved? That would effectively make the spring shorter=faster. I'd replace the balance before I would change the mainspring.

My own lack of heed when having the watch guy explain the issue to me.

Seems like bobandshawn has hit the nail on the head with his diagnosis, that said our own idea isnt a bad one either but tbh its additional cost that is very near the total cost of the piece as it stands.

I have a 6460 on route and will drop that in.

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
I am not sure how the gear train could possibly make it go faster.

If one of the jewels is cracked it would explain how the watch runs differently in different orientations. Where one wheel rotates within its designed orbit when mounted concentrically, a broken jewel will provide no consistent concentricity and "free wheel" erratically.

Just drop in a new movement and be done with it.