• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watchmaker bench

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I was looking at the watchmaker benches and the prices for nicely equipped one is just ridiculous (3-5k$) so I decided to make my own.

I'm basically coping similar designs I found on the net but making it to fit "me" with upgrades here and there.

So first off I ordered frame, I decided to go with electric height adjustable with controller that you can put under the table and oak butcher block table 6'x3'.

I didn't found any specific adjustable brackets for arm rest so I decided to go with custom ball mounts.

Then I ordered some 2" high quality memory foam and real leather upholstery. I plan to do soft arms rest myself.

Got some undercabinet led lights that I will use under the corner shelfs, some desk passthru 2" and electric strip.

Anyway here is my progress today I'll continue tomorrow:
UYZAW.jpg
UOxJk.jpg
UOVao.jpg
UOclJ.jpg
UYj6S.jpg
UOgFP.jpg
UYHzL.jpg
UYzvQ.jpg

​​​​​​

Last edited:

opus42

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/5/19
Thanks for the interesting topic ! I just ordered a watch tool kit to try my hand at servicing an A2836 movement in my dssd . Would love to see pics of your new project .

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Love the little groove you routered into the edge to catch stray screws, great touch!

Thanks, yeah that's the plan. First time in my life I used router. Haha, and actually first time building a table myself so it's kind of learning process.

Today I plan to do shelfs, side rails and under table moving tray. And maybe top coat it with satin finnish.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Its great effort mate! I bought a router earlier this year, still never used it but you may have inspired my next project! Fantastic idea of something useful to do :)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Random question but what is a solid wood top that size setting you back in the us? Its going to be so expensive over in the uk im tempted to just get kitchen counter top and use that. I know its just veneered chip board but your talking a good few hundred in the uk just for the top. Do you have a link to the motor/actuator setup? Im on the fence as to if its worth the extra money or if good old brute force and spacers is better. How much travel do you have?

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Cool mate much appreciated. Ill definitely look into this as it seems like a great project and im sick of crawling around on my garage floor looking for that tiny thing i just dropped. Mine might look more like a big perspex fish tank with arm holes :)

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Cool mate much appreciated. Ill definitely look into this as it seems like a great project and im sick of crawling around on my garage floor looking for that tiny thing i just dropped. Mine might look more like a big perspex fish tank with arm holes :)

Hahah good idea with the tank, I spent countless hours looking for parts on my knees :p

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Custom is definitely the way to go. Watch makers come in all shapes and sizes, they cant design a bench to fit us all! At 6k they definitely have the guys with deep pockets covered though!

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
Cool project oascom, leave it to a watchmaker to pay that much attention to detail.

Reactions: Oascom

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Looks Great , but you arm rests freak me out .....

2e1d3528-1b63-424f-82a2-c1c01a87ce05-OPED-FLORIDA-DEATHPENALTY-EDITORIAL-DMT.jpg