• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Refinishing a rolex case and bracelet

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17

I might get one. Im a bit put off machine brushing after my experience with the bergeon. Dont get me wrong, it does make for a very satin very brushed finish. I just prefer the look of the hand method. Its probably less gen like but to be honest i just think it looks better! Got to go for what you like really!

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Fantastic tutorial, thank you. Also thanks for the references to the likes of Cousins.

When members say “brushed like gen” (I’m talking for Rolex) is that usually done by hand or machine? I think ADs use machines, so does it get done by watchsmiths on a similar machine or can some More experienced guys replicate by hand? I wonder how different “brushed like gen” is to OOTB ARF on a fully brushed Sub bracelet (for instance)

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Fantastic tutorial, thank you. Also thanks for the references to the likes of Cousins.

When members say “brushed like gen” (I’m talking for Rolex) is that usually done by hand or machine? I think ADs use machines, so does it get done by watchsmiths on a similar machine or can some More experienced guys replicate by hand? I wonder how different “brushed like gen” is to OOTB ARF on a fully brushed Sub bracelet (for instance)

Rolex and ad’s use machines. As ive mentioned, i find it much easier to get good results manually. Its not really much different time wise either. Obviously if you were to polish by hand you would be there all day but brushing is quick and easy. I dont have or plan to buy a gen rolex so im not sure how it compares but im happy with the results. Anything looks better than a scratched up beater, unless ‘pre loved’ is the look your going for.

I have got all my stuff for machine (Bench) polishing now so i will make another guide for that at some point but it takes a while and most of my watches are pretty shiny at the moment. Give it 6 months and ill pull my finger out :p

Reactions: KJ2020

clockwork

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
22/12/07
Excellent guide guys!! Thanks for sharing !
I will give it a try and let’s see if I can get a brushed like gen look to my Rollies :)

Thanks!