• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Refinishing a rolex case and bracelet

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Dr Fun Socks Hey bro, I recently discovered a compound that gets rid of micro scratches, and really fast too. I was amazed. You need to check this stuff out if you can get it.

Before

lCJyS.jpg

Best I could do with my usual compound, finished off with Cape Cod

lPDmR.jpg

Then after the new compound

lCV4Q.jpg

lCcgL.jpg

lPZP8.jpg

lPj0K.jpg

lP3ev.jpg

lPHt1.jpg

Here's a link to the "magic bullet". True mirror finish in record time, like under a minute or two per link once you get it close with other steps.

https://www.esslinger.com/polinum-s...-orange-glow-for-gold-silver-stainless-steel/

Also, I find using a lens cloth really good for final cleaning and handling. Gentle swiping leaves no marks or fine scratches at all.

https://www.ebay.com/i/223960411341...MIlcvTmpGU6QIVEdvACh2-KgTVEAQYASABEgJHTfD_BwE

Cheers bro

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I used those felt wheels in the pics on a dremel at a low speed (5000 rpm). They get fouled up pretty fast, it took 4 to do one bracelet and two clasps. I have a bag of 100 but I washed them out with a stiff brush anyway. They can be reused.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
KJ2020 This is why your the man, you solve problems i give up on haha! Added to my cart at cousins, when i get i few more things in there it will be coming my way. Cheers mate! Better order some more felt wheels too by the sounds of it haha!

Reactions: KJ2020

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
KJ2020 This is why your the man, you solve problems i give up on haha! Added to my cart at cousins, when i get i few more things in there it will be coming my way. Cheers mate! Better order some more felt wheels too by the sounds of it haha!

what’s the Cousins ref mate?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Ah balls is it out of stock now? Didnt check this morning. At least we are all accustomed to the waiting game!

edit:
jesus 29th of june? Could be and ebay or a hs walsh job then...

Last edited:

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
I’ve ordered some elsewhere mate, drop me a pm and I’ll send you some

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Nice work! That’s exactly what I did when I had my yachtmaster. Those polished center links scratch when you just blow on it. They scratch soo easily.

I also just cover the clasp with clear packing tape so I don’t have to do that every few weeks (we’re all OCD. There’s no point in acting like we don’t. lol).

I slap a piece of clear tape on the clasp and cut though the parts that needs to be able to move so the fold over part can’t be taped but the rest can.

Slap it on there. Get a heat gun and point and shoot until it completely forms to the shape of the clasp. Then, all you have to do is cut the excess tape off of there with an very sharp razor.

This seemed to last about 2 months or so before it either gets cloudy from desk dives or a corner starts to lift up. Then, I start over.

Saves you some times if scratches bother you like they do to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
red1 thanks for sorting me out with some of this compound. Got to say KJ2020 has done it again! This stuff is great. I didnt even use any other compound on this, just too see what it can do on its own, and coupled with the new loose leaf dremel polishing mops i got the results are outstanding with really minimal effort. Only issue is i was lazy and just wanted to test it on the clasp, now the rest of the bracelet looks like shit so there goes my sunday!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
This is compared to a brand new arf bracelet. Pulled off the stickers just to compare, not a lot in it and im pretty sure the bracelet on the gmt isnt 904l but i cant guarantee that.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
red1 thanks for sorting me out with some of this compound. Got to say KJ2020 has done it again! This stuff is great. I didnt even use any other compound on this, just too see what it can do on its own, and coupled with the new loose leaf dremel polishing mops i got the results are outstanding with really minimal effort. Only issue is i was lazy and just wanted to test it on the clasp, now the rest of the bracelet looks like shit so there goes my sunday!

Nice bro - a little fine sandpaper love on that baby beforehand and it's smooth as glass!

Dhelpiero

Known Member
12/8/19
Hi oascom , May I know where to buy that cover?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Nice bro - a little fine sandpaper love on that baby beforehand and it's smooth as glass!

Thanks for the recommendation mate! For anyone who doesnt have a bench mounted grinder, despite what ive said in the past i, i cannot recommend the loose leaf dremel wheels enough. Theyre bloody great with this compound!

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Another excellent and informative thread. I will be referring back to this! Thank you!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Another excellent and informative thread. I will be referring back to this! Thank you!

Glad to be of some use! Post some pics of your results, and bear in mind what kj said and use his compound over the jewellers rouge I originally recommend. I should update the guide to include it really. Might do that when im home from work.

Reactions: balance27

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Glad to be of some use! Post some pics of your results, and bear in mind what kj said and use his compound over the jewellers rouge I originally recommend. I should update the guide to include it really. Might do that when im home from work.

I will do. When you mention “dremel” do people mean one of those small pen size tools with the mini wheel on or does it need to be a tool more substantial like a bench grinder? Thanks again.

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Sorry if the above sounds a bit stupid. Basically I have one of these. Just wondered if it’s worth me inventing in a bench mounted “grinder type” or of what I have will work well?