• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sweet Tiffany 5 digit

alfonzo

25/7/19
If you followed my 6 digit LN Genstein build you know that I have been planning this build. My move into the new house is complete. The new machines are on order and the gargemahall is underway.

I have acquired all of the parts for the build:

- ST 5 digit Case
- ST Tube it came with the case will go gen
- Gen no LEC no AR gently educated crystal
- Gen Used Tritium hand set perfect patina
- Gen Used Tritium Dial nicely aged with some grit from I can only suspect was loose hands
- Gen Date wheel
- Gen Bezel assembly
- Gen insert fantastic patina that is starting to go blue Tritium perl
- Gen Crown
- Hyper franken 3135 that I built off a VR for my 6 digit build but ended up putting a Gen motor in it so I had this one ready to go for Tiffany
- Gen 93150 Bracelet wrong date code for the age of the build I am going for and I paid a few hundo too much for it but I got it
- Gen 501 links they are wrong I know I need 501b but they will work for the time being

The plan:

Reshape the case and get it as right as I can considering the CG's. Setup and create the tools and process for pad printing the dial just like Tiffany. The pad printer will be delivered tomorrow, plates and other shit that is needed for the process is on the way. Got a buddy that has a buddy that does laser etching so that will be my first attempt at the plate making. Should be quite the learning adventure. Here is a quick image as "this thread is worthless without pics". As always thanks to RWI and all the Mods that keep the gentlemen's agreement alive and to all that have contributed to my learning in these pages. Any advice or information will be greatly received and I hope for a good build and lively discussion.

tiffany.jpg

Reactions: LondonBloke2019

alfonzo

25/7/19
Ok got the printer. Needs some help but luckily my mill and lathe are soon to be installed so I will be able to shore up the deficiencies in the machine but over all it will do. Came with a plate and the magnetic ink cup. Got some pads today as well not sure what style to use but that will be part of the experimentation.

pp.jpg

pp2.jpg

pp1.jpg

alfonzo

25/7/19
OK this is still moving albeit slowly. Many projects and honey do's but it is still on!

I shored up the Pad Printer and I think it is ready for the next steps. I will be machining a dial plate to hold the dial on the printer. I ordered the stock for the lathe and we will see if my idea pans out. I also have a new watch makers bench that I bought. It was flat packed and I built it with many reinforcements, glue, brads and screws and a coat of paint so my wife would let it in the house LOL. Now it is a worthy bench. I was going to build one but that project will have to wait.

So I will post back once the machining starts so you guys can see the setup. Again any ideas or helpful tips form anyone that has done this before would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

alfonzo

25/7/19
Alright I have been messing with some designs on the dial holder for the printer. Got a hunk of 6061 in the lathe ready to go and will start prototyping the holder. Now it is starting to get fun!

I have also been following a thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...se-observation from lawlessflyer and has been very helpful in understanding the ST case re-shaping. I am not quite ready for that yet and still am not sure of the the process I am going to use. There is the Dremel, Files or what I may end up using is my milling machine and a rotary table we will see.

alchunk.jpg

Last edited:

mascob1

6/11/16
Alright I have been messing with some designs on the dial holder for the printer. Got a hunk of 6061 in the lathe ready to go and will start prototyping the holder. Now it is starting to get fun!

I have also been following a thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...se-observation from lawlessflyer and has been very helpful in understanding the ST case re-shaping. I am not quite ready for that yet and still am not sure of the the process I am going to use. There is the Dremel, Files or what I may end up using is my milling machine and a rotary table we will see.

alchunk.jpg

Very nice lathe! You could do nice stuff with!
Just don't forget measuring instruments to control your pieces.

alfonzo

25/7/19
Thanks and yes for sure. I have every possible indicator, dial caliper, micrometer, depth gauge etc.. I agree that without precision measurement tools you have no precision.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
What a wonderful setup. Pad printing is something I would dearly love to get into - but as with so many interests, it's likely I'll only get to enjoy it vicariously through this sort of thread! I'll be following this with great interest. Also, I lack precision, and reading this sort of thread will hopefully help me attain a little... :)

Reactions: alfonzo

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
OK this is still moving albeit slowly. Many projects and honey do's but it is still on!

I shored up the Pad Printer and I think it is ready for the next steps. I will be machining a dial plate to hold the dial on the printer. I ordered the stock for the lathe and we will see if my idea pans out. I also have a new watch makers bench that I bought. It was flat packed and I built it with many reinforcements, glue, brads and screws and a coat of paint so my wife would let it in the house LOL. Now it is a worthy bench. I was going to build one but that project will have to wait.

So I will post back once the machining starts so you guys can see the setup. Again any ideas or helpful tips form anyone that has done this before would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

Wow wow wow! That's a pro setup right there... I would definitely take some time and really tweek the case work of your beauty Tiffany.

You can get into some serious projects with that lathe as well and mùcho moneys ;)

following your thread mate!

Reactions: alfonzo

alfonzo

25/7/19
Started the turning last night. Just roughing it out but I think this is going to work just fine.

6061turn.jpg

alfonzo

25/7/19
Yeah, I am turning the middle diameter down to 29mm and will be about 4mm deep. I will punch 2 holes for the dial feet. I am also going to do a dead center hole that is the diameter of the hands gear holes in the dial to help center and align the printing head with a removable alignment bar. I will run set screws into the side of the holder to lock in the feet. Still working out the mount that the holder will sit into. Then mount will allow rotation of the holder for aligning the X and Y relative to the center pin.

alfonzo

25/7/19
Not sure if this is going to make the final cut but I like where I am heading. There is a little more to do before I scrap it and start over LOL. At least this will serve to illustrate what I am shooting for on the holder for the printer.

holder1.jpg

holder2.jpg

holder3.jpg

holder4.jpg

alfonzo

25/7/19
Since the Vid has allowed me to catch up on some projects I found a little time to do some more figuring and machining. I can't get out to get a more appropriate piece of 6061 but I had a big piece of scrap I machined down. Here is the beginning of the mounting plate. I will be recessing the dial holder and cutting some slots in the plate for some little arms that will act like a vise and hold the dial plate. It will allow me to rotate it on center to dial in the horizontal alignment of the printing (pun intended). More to follow just thought this thread needed an update.

facing.jpg

plate.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and Mike116

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Since the Vid has allowed me to catch up on some projects I found a little time to do some more figuring and machining. I can't get out to get a more appropriate piece of 6061 but I had a big piece of scrap I machined down. Here is the beginning of the mounting plate. I will be recessing the dial holder and cutting some slots in the plate for some little arms that will act like a vise and hold the dial plate. It will allow me to rotate it on center to dial in the horizontal alignment of the printing (pun intended). More to follow just thought this thread needed an update.

facing.jpg

plate.jpg

I like where your going with this, keep us updated great job so far.

how's the shaping of the st case coming along do you have a plan for it?

alfonzo

25/7/19
Thanks!

No real plan yet. I have some ideas but some are way to complicated and it kinda leads me back to the dremel LOL

alfonzo

25/7/19
OK stealing time from work LOL I was motivated to finish this and I ended up making it simpler. I try to live by the KISS principle but sometimes my mind wants to make things harder well just because.

Instead of milling out some little clamping arms I use a set screw and saved hours and complexity. Silly what a little thing like that can do. So all that is left on the holder is to punch the holes for the dial feet. I think I am just going to use Rodico or some other tacky substance to hold the dial down or maybe I will try to make it harder again...

plate_rec.jpg

rec.jpg

kit.jpg

set.jpg

comp.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020

alfonzo

25/7/19
I am not sure when I will be able to get a printing plate made and there is still a ton of figuring to do to make this a repeatable process and this pad printer is for printing golf balls not watch dials, there is some work to do to dial in the precision for the printing registration. Since that sounds hard I am going to start rebuilding the movement. The 3135 in the case now is a almost complete franken built off of a VR. I acquired the rest of the gen parts and I am rebuilding a complete gen 3135. Finding the main plate was like finding a unicorn. It just showed up in a group of parts in the sales section here and I pounced!

Gotta keep this thread alive and the build going! My 6 digit needs it's 5 digit sister!

movepart.jpg

mainplate.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020