• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to thin your royal oak

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
So the my latest attempt at a ‘how to’ is the thinning of a royal oak case. The difference between this and my other how to guides is its something im actually good at, toolmaking! Professional watchmaker i am not, but a toolmaker, thats a bit of me :)

jyODc.jpg

Straight out of the gate, if you dont have or know how to use a lathe, your pretty much shit out of luck. Honestly if i didn’t think id use it long term i wouldn’t of got a lathe just for this job. Its MUCH cheaper to just send it to someone else to get done. For that reason im not going to explain basic turning terminology, if your interested bang it into google.

Tools needed:

A lathe

A bar of 30mm acetal (in hindsight id use brass for repeatability and heat proofing)

A cutting tool (i use carbide, you can use hss but keep it sharp, stainless isn’t the easiest to machine)

Revolving center for the tailstock

Drill chuck for the tailstock

Drill bits

Center drill

10mm slot drill

A set of taps (i used m6 because i dont have tool makers drill bits in 0.1mm increments at home and nearly all sizes on an m6 cap head are round numbers)

Micro files (1mm)

Oil stones for deburring

Wet and dry paper to smooth the sealing surface

Vernier callipers

DTI and stand

Screwdrivers

A crystal press (i used 38 and 24mm dies)

jytht.jpg

So assuming you have all the tools, and most importantly a ton of patience, lets get started! Pop the display back crystal out and its gasket.

j1Fwn.jpg

Small note, if you have metal vernier callipers like me, stick some tape over the jaws and press zero to prevent marking the watch. Remember to remove this and re zero if you are using the depth or inside diameter functions as they will be out by the thickness of the tape.

j1fYE.jpg

Ever heard measure twice cut once? That couldn’t be more true than here. Measure your stuff. Repeatedly. Then measure it again! I made a drawing of the case back but DONT ASSUME YOURS IS THE SAME!

j1Gc3.jpg

The most important thing to work out is the clearance between the rotor and the crystal. The rotor has some play in it up and down. Measure with it up, obviously. I worked out theres about 0.9mm between the rotor and the crystal. Ive gone for (a rather ambitious) 0.1mm clearance after thinning. Why clearance, you could be 0.1mm closer to gen? Well the rotor wont spin then dummy! So with 0.8mm off, im aiming for 10.0mm metal to metal, or 10.2 including the crystal which is 0.2mm proud.

j1bCY.jpg

Excuse the rust, i like to swim in the sea...

j1xSD.jpg

At this point its worth noting i have a frosted AP with no rotor (don’t ask, its NOT a JF and the quality is just not the same) that I intended to use as a test pilot. Due to construction methods and sizes i couldn’t use the back from the frosted even for mocking up on the JF so it just gets left out other than in my drawings. I may see just how thin i can get it for fun one day, who knows!

j10is.jpg

Im not going to write a short book about how to turn these parts, either use the drawings and do it, or do as 99.9% of people reading this will and don’t! Again with the measuring, the first set of jigs is used for the machining of the part that contacts the watch.

The main dimensions are 25.3mm x2mm to sit inside the through bore of the case back but not protrude on the left part

On this part the main thing to note is you need the cap head counterbored enough to let the revolving stock sit on the outside of the hole without the point contacting the screw head. The outside diameter is irrelevant, length is pretty much irrelevant.

The second set of jigs are to reduce the length of the part that protrudes from the case back to surround the rotor and essentially hide the movement ring and screws. You probably could get away with just this set of jigs if you were that way inclined, theres no reason you couldn’t do the first operation with this set up but I prefer the security of having more than 1mm touching the part you are machining. The sizes here are important as there is very little space between the two parts when set up.

Some shots of machining and finished parts.

First operation

Second operation

jlDk1.jpg

Jigs

I did the machining in the order i have explained the jigs. I also use an steel rule with wet and dry (240-800) to improve the sealing surface after machining. You may not need to do this but for the sake of 5 minutes its worth it. In between set ups i also use an oil stone to deburr the faces, and a tiny little 1mm diamond file to get the burr out of the case back screw holes.

The finished article! Its ended up 9.8mm metal to metal, 10.3mm overall. I also swapped the caseback crystal to a 0.8mm thick one which in theory saved 0.2mm. Somehow the difference between metal to metal and crystal to crystal is different now, i may have had one to many vodkas when i was measuring at the start because the front crystal is definitely proud. Its possible to get a thinner crystal at the front and get 100% gen dimensions i think but thats a job for another day.

Would I recommend this to a friend? No its a bloody long job to take 0.8mm off a watch! Does it feel any different? Sure it feels 7.27% different by my calculations... It’s still waterproof which is nice! If you made it this far, congrats for still being awake and thanks for taking the time to read.

Any input is welcomed, and anyone who questions the price of thinning, now you know why its so dear!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hey bro, this was mega fun reading through with my morning coffee. I love to watch a master craftsman display his skills. I can't tell you how many you tube videos I've watched of glass blowers making dragons or wood workers carving a cuckoo clock. Fascinating stuff.

You've done an amazing job on this caseback and in documenting it for the rest of us so we wish we'd listened more in metal shop at school! And the reward is a great upgrade to one of your pieces. How great is that! Well done!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Hey bro, this was mega fun reading through with my morning coffee. I love to watch a master craftsman display his skills. I can't tell you how many you tube videos I've watched of glass blowers making dragons or wood workers carving a cuckoo clock. Fascinating stuff.

You've done an amazing job on this caseback and in documenting it for the rest of us so we wish we'd listened more in metal shop at school! And the reward is a great upgrade to one of your pieces. How great is that! Well done!

Well I appreciate putting me in the category of a craftsman but I'm just a guy who likes engineering haha. The glass blowers and wood guys are talented mofos! Its a pretty simple mod if you have the equipment and the know how, just thought it was worth sharing with the community! Does make me wonder why jf don't just make the case back this size considering its the number one complaint every new release. Theres loads of room in the back of a stock royal oak!

Reactions: d4v3 and KJ2020

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Maybe you can start a side business? Those of us without a lathe or any ability in this area would love more options. :D​​​​​​
What are people paying for the thinning?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Maybe you can start a side business? Those of us without a lathe or any ability in this area would love more options. :D​​​​​​
What are people paying for the thinning?

Haha i did think about it. I mean its not as fun when its with other peoples watches, you have to be double extra careful. If i mess up my watch, ill buy a new one, I understand the risks. Never say never i guess! Have to contact the mods and see what the procedure is!

Reactions: Copterguy

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Nice work, when I saw those long grey spirals I wondered what the hell material you'd used - had to look it up, a plastic polymer. Brass would be much better if you do this operation again.

Lot of outlay for 0.8 mm though . . .

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Nice work, when I saw those long grey spirals I wondered what the hell material you'd used - had to look it up, a plastic polymer. Brass would be much better if you do this operation again.

Lot of outlay for 0.8 mm though . . .

Yeah its basically nylon. I used a lot of it at work so thought it was a good place to start. As i said in the tool list i would 100% use brass if i did it again. Its a hell of a lot of work for 0.8mm! Thats just part of the rep game though, shit loads of effort for small gains. Honestly about 75% of this was machining the jigs, i could probably knock another one out in 2-3 hours now ive got the tooling.

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
I always want to know how Sponge thinn my JF 15400.
Than you.
Thinning 15400 is a must since it sit really well and will hug your wrist so comfortable. And GEN like thickness.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
That was a very fun and enjoyable post ! Thank you for making it, this type of content add unbelievable value to the board ! Again, thank you ! (I have same set of threading tool /tap&dye by the way, great little thing for the price !)

VaderTime

9/10/17
It was a pleasure reading your post. I could hear the noises from the machines while reading it lol. Thank you!

Naughtylus

18/4/19
Great post!! Never knew it was this much of tools and work! Is it possible to thin a RG back case? Haha and you just thin the back case of the frosted??? I’m so into the frosted, but hesitated cuz of the thickness and their clasp.... but definitely on top of my list!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
That was a very fun and enjoyable post ! Thank you for making it, this type of content add unbelievable value to the board ! Again, thank you ! (I have same set of threading tool /tap&dye by the way, great little thing for the price !)

Its fun making a little write up, gives me something to do when im bored at work haha! Its a fantastic value set when you consider you can pay about the same for some decent sherwood taps in one size. Bloody overpriced business toolmaking!

Great post!! Never knew it was this much of tools and work! Is it possible to thin a RG back case? Haha and you just thin the back case of the frosted??? I’m so into the frosted, but hesitated cuz of the thickness and their clasp.... but definitely on top of my list!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I have and rg 15400 but you would have to get the case back replated after this100% which is expensive. If you get the case back replated you kind of need the rest done to match. Im sure flying tommy could make it look fantastic but depends what your budget is. Thinned case, gen dial, flying tommy plated, that would be a mean ap! But yeah even the frosted is do able just stainless is easier than rg!

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
that was fun to reduce 1mm.
so the first step was to reduce the surface where the 8 holes sit. second step reduce the section where o-ring wraps?
thanks for sharing.

anyone think to buy a lathe do this, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. where i grew up was a cnc shop and the guy had a funny eye. i can only imagine what happened!

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
that was fun to reduce 1mm.
so the first step was to reduce the surface where the 8 holes sit. second step reduce the section where o-ring wraps?
thanks for sharing.

anyone think to buy a lathe do this, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. where i grew up was a cnc shop and the guy had a funny eye. i can only imagine what happened!

Good point i fully forgot to say this, wear glasses. Your on your own in your garage (most likely) its not a fashion parade. First step was to thin the surface with 8 holes as you say, the second was to take back the end of the surface parallel to this, the face closest to the movement. It contacts the movement ring if you don't machine it back by the same amount. The o ring actually touches the face with the 8 holes and the groove on the back side of the case, there’s a picture of it with a tooth pick pointing it out.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Lot of work and dedication, your work is amazing. If only JF made it thinner from the start...

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Well worth the effort in my book mate and it was a pleasure to read. Good luck with the thinning business ;)