• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jaeger Le Coultre Geophysic

watchlover128

Known Member
9/12/14

Hi guys,
Can any of you please advise what movement is in this watch and how do you remove it when there is no visible movement holder or screws? ???? Any help is greatly appreciated

Mav2000

10/1/19
If you take out the stem it may come out, seeing as you already removed the screws holding the movement to the body

watchlover128

Known Member
9/12/14
Believe it or not the screws where not in. I tried pulling at it with the crown out hoping it’s friction fit but no luck so far

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Most of these JLs have Miyota 9015s with deco plates. Those movements don't have any weird or unusual tabs/screws and since we can see where yours should be, I think it's safe to assume the fit was so tight someone thought screws and tabs weren't needed.

There are some movements that get installed from the front after removing the crystal and bezel but IDK about this model - it wouldn't need tab screw holes if that were the case. Even if the gen were that way there'd be no sense making the rep that way.

Assuming you can get the stem out, I would do the following.

I would first try to put a screw in a tab hole, screw it down a little then wrap some 28 gauge 316L wire or extremely fine fishing line around the screw then screw it down tight. Make a lasso loop in the free end and with some needle nose pliers gently but firmly try to work it free. Or see if you can thread some fish line down and back up through the tab screw hole to use as a pull. Use a J shaped twist tie to fish the fish line or stronger wire. Bend a skinny cable tie and route it around the hole.

Failing that or if you don't have materials, I would start removing some components - the rotor, the autowind device, then determine what pieces are junk deco plates and remove those. Get a better look at it then and see if any new puzzle pieces are revealed.

If nothing else appears, then you could use two screw holes to make a pull and try to work it free.

Once you get it out, if it is just tight friction fit, I would be taking a dremel to that case lip to lose however many tenths of mm's it takes to have a regular fit enabling you to use tabs and screws. With care and proper cleaning after, that could be done without removing the crystal or bezel.

Last edited:
Reactions: watchlover128

watchlover128

Known Member
9/12/14
Thanks KJ2020,
I am going to give the fishing wire trick a go tonight and will let you know how I get on. Extremely informative as always and very helpful as I have been genuinely so confused with this

Reactions: KJ2020