• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch services - www.watchmakerusa.com

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
Hi man! congrats for your results here on rwi. I appreciate a lot the way you are working, your super-tidy work bench, and -most important- your choice to invest a lot in professional tools and equipment to work at the best. That's uncommon, expecially from those who work on reps, and that's the right way to do it. MF70 mini milling machine is super useful (i have one in my shop), also for case drilling and soft modifications. Not really suitable to make parts from zero, you will notice it spins very fast for steel cutting, and it's not very rigid and powerful.(there's a kit which can lower the speed down and raise the torque).
I think that a lathe is essential in replica watch repair, in order to modify bezel-case diameters, create casing rings and do case refinishing. It was the first machine i bought years ago,and i use it 5days a week. I suggest to look for a Swiss vintage lathe, or an austrian one, because their quality and their tolerances are suitable for watchmaking world. Chinese lathes you can find for few bucks are good only with great working diameter,i tried several of them in the past.Cutting aisi 316-904 steels is not like cutting brass, so you need a rigid machine, good tools and lot of hours practicing. I suggest also to look for a real watchmaking lathe(8mm or 6mm), it can't miss in a good workshop, it's essential to create ultra precise parts and modify movement parts,screws ecc..
Good luck for your repairer future, if you need some advice about watchmaking machinery i'm pleased to help you! :D

Reactions: Oascom

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Hi man! congrats for your results here on rwi. I appreciate a lot the way you are working, your super-tidy work bench, and -most important- your choice to invest a lot in professional tools and equipment to work at the best. That's uncommon, expecially from those who work on reps, and that's the right way to do it. MF70 mini milling machine is super useful (i have one in my shop), also for case drilling and soft modifications. Not really suitable to make parts from zero, you will notice it spins very fast for steel cutting, and it's not very rigid and powerful.(there's a kit which can lower the speed down and raise the torque).
I think that a lathe is essential in replica watch repair, in order to modify bezel-case diameters, create casing rings and do case refinishing. It was the first machine i bought years ago,and i use it 5days a week. I suggest to look for a Swiss vintage lathe, or an austrian one, because their quality and their tolerances are suitable for watchmaking world. Chinese lathes you can find for few bucks are good only with great working diameter,i tried several of them in the past.Cutting aisi 316-904 steels is not like cutting brass, so you need a rigid machine, good tools and lot of hours practicing. I suggest also to look for a real watchmaking lathe(8mm or 6mm), it can't miss in a good workshop, it's essential to create ultra precise parts and modify movement parts,screws ecc..
Good luck for your repairer future, if you need some advice about watchmaking machinery i'm pleased to help you! :D

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

New attachment arrived today :

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM

I might have few questions about the lathe, i was planning to buy proxxon mini lathe at is fairly cheap at around 700$.

Also idk which attachments and cutting tools to use

Reactions: s.orologiaio

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
I might have few questions about the lathe, i was planning to buy proxxon mini lathe at is fairly cheap at around 700$.

Also idk which attachments and cutting tools to use

Ok! You mean the fd150e lathe?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk