• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch services - www.watchmakerusa.com

Andrew0

Known Member
8/1/17
Sweden
I don’t do a full service but here’s a few things I do when I get a rep (from a TD or a M2M). Remove the movement. Take the auto wind bridge and most of the easy parts to remove and put back together.

Give everything a once over. Get all the dust and dirt I can find out of there.

Look for excessive oil everything and clean that up with rodeco. Keyless works and mainspring areas always tend to have waaaay more oils than it should. Some are damn near gunked up.

Check the gears to make sure there are no broken teeth.

Use a air puffer and blow air all throughout the movement. You’d be amazed at what comes out of some of these watches.

De-magnetize the movement. Be careful with this as I recently found out that if the hands or markers are electroplated with gold or white gold, it will start melting or whatever that caused one of my hands to do this.

If needed, I also swap out the mainspring with a gen ETA one if the power reserve seems to be “ehh”. This is a fairly easy mod to do.

If you do all of this and something funky still happens, just get it serviced or just stick a gen ETA in there. It would cost pretty much the same.

Awesome comment, will start to do this routine aswell!

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Well but even gen ETA Movements need service as they mostly comes dry and not perfect and at minimum need adjustment ;)

Reactions: Tomback

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
The one thing with gen eta is they got better tolerances and better metals are used so even without service it should last longer than clone.

But Im still big believer in service :) nice fresh properly serviced movement is great and can last many years .

Dirty movement on the other hands can work out of the box but will wear itself and will either break or lose performance.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Damn. The clone omega actually has 2 main springs. That’s impressive for sure. Did it actually have a co-axial escapement? I doubt it but you never know.

Oh and that sliding pinion.... that’s impressive how they broke that. :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Just received my second watch from P. I felt so bad when he sent me pictures of how over-oiled the movement was. But, good guy P gave that asian clone the Mr. Clean treatment. Running at 1.4 s/d. Took him two days to do the service, back in my wrist in one week (shipping on weekends). He also included a nice microfiber cloth.

Thanks again P!

04be02487de8bba788111b84171e9d81.plist

Reactions: Oascom

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Just received my second watch from P. I felt so bad when he sent me pictures of how over-oiled the movement was. But, good guy P gave that asian clone the Mr. Clean treatment. Running at 1.4 s/d. Took him two days to do the service, back in my wrist in one week (shipping on weekends). He also included a nice microfiber cloth.

Thanks again P!

04be02487de8bba788111b84171e9d81.plist

Enjoy:)

Reactions: mclarendude