• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Guy's intro and first 116610 Franken build thread

alfonzo

25/7/19
OK we have arrived!

I finished her up tonight and I am very happy! Mistakes and all I love it!

The movement came together perfectly, the rehaut is pretty damn good (I will get some better images) and it is running smooth. I don't have a fancy Timegrapher but I have an app for that. So there is some more to do but man o man this one fine watch and I learned so much. Next up after the move into the new house? Noob V3 Daytona panda dial! I figured the 3135 was a great stepping stone and I might as well take it up a notch! Oh and a ARF Milgauss for the wife. They don't have a 3131 anymore so it looks like an ETA...

Thanks for all that commented and followed along. The adventure continues but now with a SubC on my wrist!

Better images tomorrow it is past midnight time to crash.

hyperfranky.jpg

franky2.jpg

franky3.jpg

franky4.jpg

alfonzo

25/7/19
Just love it!

Decided to add 2 last parts, a swiss aftermarket pallet to save a few bucks and a gen escape wheel, unless I need more to fix the last little issue.

Check the images and you can see the date is a little high in the window and I am not sure why. I think I have replaced all of the recommended parts except for the intermediate date wheel. Everything works great, snappy date change and snappy quickset date so no issues there. Any suggestions?

Here is franken-sexy!

franklin.jpg

franklin2.jpg

franklin1.jpg

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
So I have done some searching and reading and the consensus is that I also need the 3135 670 Intermediate Date Wheel so I ordered it and will see i that indeed corrects the issue.

alfonzo

25/7/19
New tally on this build and yes now it is officially obnoxious but as a completionist I have to make it correct so here is to hoping. Let's go to the big board for the new tally!!!!

Bought a new set of hands that was $380 landed from EU but I am not going to include it in the build cost as the damaged set is still pretty good unless viewed under magnification. I will use the damaged set on another build.

New NoobV9 VR3135 Base - $700 (Slightly over paid but it got here my way)

Total = $700

New Gen Complete Bezel assembly w/insert, gen ball springs and lock - $1522.89
New Gen Dial, Hands, Crystal and ARF bracelet as a package - $1736.47
New Gen Date corrector - $70
New 13 Gen screws - $170
New Gen Crown - $230
New Gen Crown tube - $122
New Gen Rotor assembly - $274
New Gen Click spring - $30
New Gen Second Wheel - $70
New Gen Hour Wheel - $44
New Gen Third Wheel - $50
New Gen Great Wheel - $65
New Gen Date Wheel - $90
New Gen Minute & Cannon Pinion - $150
New Gen Sliding Pinion Clutch - $65
New Gen Date Jumper - $55
New Gen Barrel assembly - $80
New Gen Jewel for yoke - $10
New Gen Escape wheel - $85
New Gen Intermediate Date Wheel - $120
Used Gen winding bridge - $88
Used Gen Date disc - $109
Used Gen Seating for Date wheel - $100

New Aftermarket Swiss Pallet Fork - $45

Total = $5305.36

Complete build cost and I am done this time! - $6005.36
(Holy shit...)

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
So I added few more gen parts to the movement and now I am done with it. BUT I just sourced a Gen 3135 and it is on the way. SO the SubC just got a whole lot more gen...I am crazy this is proof.

I will use the franken 3135 in another build or maybe try and shove it into the wife's Milgauss but not sure that is possible so maybe a Datejust or 5 digit sub? More pics to follow once the Gen 3135 gets here...

Fuck this is one insane hobby that likes to suck the cash right out of my wallet.

alfonzo

25/7/19
New Gen Complete Bezel assembly w/insert, gen ball springs and lock - $1522.89
New Gen Dial, Hands, Crystal and ARF bracelet as a package - $1736.47
New Gen Date corrector - $70
New 13 Gen screws - $170
New Gen Crown - $230
New Gen Crown tube - $122
New Gen Rotor assembly - $274
New Gen Click spring - $30
New Gen Second Wheel - $70
New Gen Hour Wheel - $44
New Gen Third Wheel - $50
New Gen Great Wheel - $65
New Gen Date Wheel - $90
New Gen Minute & Cannon Pinion - $150
New Gen Sliding Pinion Clutch - $65
New Gen Date Jumper - $55
New Gen Barrel assembly - $80
New Gen Jewel for yoke - $10
New Gen Escape wheel - $85
New Gen Intermediate Date Wheel - $120
New Gen Date Finger - $59
New Gen Yoke for cam - $55
New Gen Ratchet Wheel - $80
New Gen Yoke for sliding gear - $90
Used Gen winding bridge - $88
Used Gen Date disc - $109
Used Gen Seating for Date wheel - $100

New Aftermarket Swiss Pallet Fork - $45

Total = $5589.36 + 700 = 6289.36

Now if we subtract the movement build cost we have 4049.36 + the new 3135 cost of $2800

New total with the Gen movement = $6849.36

The only non Gen parts now are the mid-case, back and bracelet. Still about 40% less than a complete Genuine 116610.

Last edited:

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
That's a crazy amount of gen parts invested mate! Wear it in good health!

My 116610LV with gen DW & xtal also used to suffer the date font being too low...my watch smith tried to get different date plates but all fail to impress me.
Then he suggested to change the dial, and viola! it was perfectly aligned!
Not sure if this would be your case but thought I share my experience with similar issue

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
That's a crazy amount of gen parts invested mate! Wear it in good health!

My 116610LV with gen DW & xtal also used to suffer the date font being too low...my watch smith tried to get different date plates but all fail to impress me.
Then he suggested to change the dial, and viola! it was perfectly aligned!
Not sure if this would be your case but thought I share my experience with similar issue

Indeed I jumped into the deep end of the pond!

Thanks I had not thought about a dial I suppose like anything there will be the subtle variances. I hope the gen movement makes everything happy and I can put the frankey in another project if not a dial is next or maybe a repositioning of the feet?

Yona24

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/4/19
Btw did you try out if the intermediate date wheel part fixed your date center issue back then? I have a similar issue on my DJ, despite having gen date seating and date jumper.

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
Btw did you try out if the intermediate date wheel part fixed your date center issue back then? I have a similar issue on my DJ, despite having gen date seating and date jumper.

Funny story. Just like you I am waiting for a part LOL. I had 2 of the super tiny balance wheel shock absorber jewel clip go rouge. Once they get here I will finish up the franky motor and see if that fixes the Date issue. If not the Gen 3135 should do the trick lol

I hope the intermediate date wheel does the trick if not a few more tweaks then maybe the dial.

Yona24

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/4/19
Funny story. Just like you I am waiting for a part LOL. I had 2 of the super tiny balance wheel shock absorber jewel clip go rouge. Once they get here I will finish up the franky motor and see if that fixes the Date issue. If not the Gen 3135 should do the trick lol

I hope the intermediate date wheel does the trick if not a few more tweaks then maybe the dial.

If it doesn't fix the problem then I suspect the datewheel or dial may be the anomalies.

alfonzo

25/7/19
I am so glad I bought the Gen 3135. I needed to see the difference in my greedy little hands. Is it still a Rep when everything is Gen except the mid-case, back and bracelet? :p

It is like new and immaculate! It's great that it came with a perfect condition champaign date disc and 6mm gold crown! I can use those on another build!

This bad boy is going in tonight!

3135F.jpg

3135B.jpg

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
WOW just WOW. Great work and goodluck bro! Wish i have the same skills and determination like u!
congrats on the new franken too, its gonna look amazing!

Reactions: Mathias_J

alfonzo

25/7/19
Thanks for nice words man! I learned everything here and that is no bullshit. The biggest problem I have now is what's next? 116523 franky (I can't find any Gen 116500 parts) or 16610...First world problems for sure LOL

alfonzo

25/7/19
Got the Gen motor installed with the new hands and all is good! Looks great feels great and tested with the new tool and it is running great! Date lines up, lol, like it was gen ... all is beautiful!

subCtime.jpg

alfonzo

25/7/19
Well 2 months almost to the day and she is complete! I guess it is still a franky but if anyone asks I will tell them it is a $25 dollar fake! LOL

It is sexy and everything I could want and more. To me it is a gen better than a gen. It is MY 6 digit! If I did it the old fashion way I would have a watch that was big pimpin' but one that I would know very little about. Now I know almost everything about this watch! For example, I work with a Gen Batman owner and he has started buying and trading Gen's. He is a very good guy and humble but loves his GMT. He knows that I am doing this and I show him my progress and he hates it LOL. He told me today that he baby's his watch so it can stay mint, I suggested that he use a Rep bracelet so he didn't have to worry about desk dives and shit, he looked at me like I kicked his wife in the face! I am forcing him to learn though, I showed him the difference between a VR/SH 3135 and Gen today. I hope he uses the info, he is a bud and I don't wan't him to get ripped off.

I started this with pure intentions and was seduced as I knew I would be by the lure of perfection and adulation from ones peers. (OK maybe a little too thick) The allure is real and intoxicating. Just the mere thought of building my Rolex drew me in and captivated me. The engineering is wonderful and the specialized knowledge is to covet. RWI played more than 90% teacher, here and the U-Tube. It needs to be said so a MASSIVE thank you to Trailboss and his team of experts that drive the manifestation of the spirit of the gentleman's agreement. That in and of itself is refreshing in the internet dipshit age. Thanks to all that read, followed, subbed, provided advice or otherwise participated in this thread.

I loved this project and now that the house is finished and we are moving in the real bleeding starts! This will hobble my building for a little while as the wife makes us a home but rest assured I will return with vigor as I am already plotting my next caper! Could it be a 116523? Or 16110LV? Only the wife knows...

I leave you with this:

6dig_hyper_fin.jpg

Last edited:

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
That's pretty much gen IMO. Looks awesome my friend! Amazing work!

Reactions: alfonzo