• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Guy's intro and first 116610 Franken build thread

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Top post, hat’s off to you. Here’s how I’ve installed crystals onto ARF and Noob cases: Make sure you have first found a hard plastic cylinder that is roughly the same size diameter as the retaining ring but bigger than the gasket. I was lucky enough to find mine at a hardware store (it’s a garden hose coupler). Put the crystal in the gasket then the combo onto the case. Use a press and regular die to get the retainer most of the way down. I’ve modified a flat plastic press die to accommodate the crystal’s cyclops so that in this step I can get the retainer flush with the top of the crystal. Take your plastic cylinder and press the rest by hand. If it’s too tight to slide perfectly straight, I’ve found success in applying pressure on different sides of the retainer by tilting the cylinder which moves it down incrementally in somewhat of a spiral then finally making it parallel to the rehaut at the bottom where the retainer touches the case. Somebody here probably knows a better way but.. thought I’d share. Good luck!

alfonzo

25/7/19
Perfect that is just what I was looking for and I will do that very thing tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Reactions: d3s19n

nzhoward

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
12/2/19
SO I think tonight I am going to attempt to install the crystal and bezel. The Bezel is complete and I do not want to screw that up.

This question is for any of the modder's out there that are reading this.

What is the best method for installing the crystal with the bezel ring not using the bezel as a push point? In other words is there specific tool or modified tool that you use to seat the bezel ring that goes on the crystal?

I have a crystal press but I am not sure how to get a good purchase on the ring to seat it.

I actually used the original Noob bezel ring to push the gen bezel ring on. It actually works pretty well. Just align the crystal, crystal gasket, and gen bezel ring. Then slide the Noob bezel ring on top of the gen bezel ring. It should stick out high enough above the crystal for you to use a crystal pusher to push everything on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfonzo

25/7/19
Also a good idea and I contemplated that but did not want to get it stuck or damage it. I will give it a try as well. Thanks for the confirmation of success!

nzhoward

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
12/2/19
34d54463412b2a5229a476626a9ad695.jpg

GL!
my super franken says hi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: alfonzo

alfonzo

25/7/19
Alright had me pucker factor 7 but I got it on using the noob ring. Worked like a charm and did no damage to either piece. WOW it is really almost there! I will get the bezel on and post a pic in a bit...

Thanks for the suggestions!

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Alright had me pucker factor 7 but I got it on using the noob ring. Worked like a charm and did no damage to either piece. WOW it is really almost there! I will get the bezel on and post a pic in a bit...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nice I’m going to switch to this method

alfonzo

25/7/19
WooHoo!

Here she is!

almostalmost.jpg

Wait not so fast...

We all know (I hope we all know) that all images lie. The one above is no different as the watch is not functioning. I wanted so much to have the home stretch go easy well Murphy stopped by my build and kicked me in knackers.

I wanted to use the Noob hands and went to remove them from the moment and the second hand pulled through and left the sleeve on the stem but removed the hand rendering it useless. So I decided to use the gen hands. I have installed 5 or 6 sets of hands and felt like I was ready to do this. Hour hand, perfect. Minute Hand little more wonky but success. Second hand fumble, fumble, blinked and BAM bent that son of a bitch.

Expensive mistake. I bent it back into shape pretty well and I think I can get it a little better BUT WAIT there is more...once I got the hand on the second wheel stem and wound the watch it worked for about 10 seconds then STOP!

WTF WTF WTF!!!!

Turns out the second wheel stem is bent and binding the second hand! Mother Fuc%er!

So I have ordered more gen parts and I am going to rebuild the V2 motor with all the gen stuff and put that bad boy in the case. Only problem I have is I have to mess with those hands again...Anyone want to sell just a gen second hand? A good story always has some drama!

Sure does look good though!

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
OK so here is the new list with the expanded gen parts list as I ordered a bunch of movement parts to just get it done. I might have been better off buying a Gen complete 3135 but again where is the fun in that.

New NoobV9 SH3135V2 Base - $700 (Slightly over paid but it got here my way)
New after market hand set (for second hand only due to my mistake) – $40

Total = $740

New Gen Complete Bezel assembly w/insert, gen ball springs and lock - $1522.89
New Gen Dial, Hands, Crystal and ARF bracelet as a package - $1736.47
New Gen Date corrector - $70
New 13 Gen screws - $170
New Gen Crown - $230
New Gen Crown tube - $122
New Gen Rotor assembly - $274
New Gen Click spring - $30
New Gen Second Wheel - $70
New Gen Hour Wheel - $44
New Gen Third Wheel - $50
New Gen Great Wheel - $65
New Gen Date Wheel - $90
New Gen Minute & Cannon Pinion - $150
New Gen Sliding Pinion Clutch - $65
New Gen Date Jumper - $55
New Gen Barrel assembly - $80
New Gen Jewel for yoke - $10
Used Gen winding bridge - $88
Used Gen Date disc - $109
Used Gen date plate - $100

Total = $5055.36

But I think that's it. I see no need to add anymore as just the movement is at about $1400 I think you can get a gen for that. Either way it will be an amazing finished product. I hope the wife never asks the question LOL...

Not a bad thing making it even more gen...

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
Got a new mat and I saw in another members post this case cushion and I had to have one, so few new tools. This new mat is so much better than that rubber pad I was using. This one is more of a neoprene, bigger and contrasts better I think.

Broke down the V2 for cleaning and service and will put it back together with all the gen parts. Got the gen hands off without issue thank god.

again.jpg

alfonzo

25/7/19
Got everything broken down and separated. The left is the V2 parts most of which I am using ready for cleaning, the center is the gen parts bin with more on the way, the right is all the other parts including the V1 broken down so as I assemble the movement I have easy access to every part I might need. Once the Hyperclone is done I will take inventory and rebuild the V1 movement.

Doing this is also giving me more practice in technique with the tools and now I am starting to remember all the parts names and how they go together. My dexterity is getting better as well as my sensitivity so there is tremendous value in this exercise.

parts.jpg

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
Waiting for parts is then WORST! I have 2 builds going simultaneously this one and a Mid-Size stainless pink dial date-just for my wife's BFF. That one I need mounting screws for the little ETA2761 that is in there. And this bad boy who's going to be just amazing! I can't wait to wear it out and have no one give a shit...LMAO

alfonzo

25/7/19
Alright since waiting for parts and being static is not my style I found a related interim project. It would be sacrilege to try and build this beauty to R-Factory standards (almost lol) and not pressure test it so I embarked on understanding and building a test vessel. Always DIY if possible. So I searched out the methods and I found on another watch site a guy who built the one I am building here.

Edit: LOL I just read the pressure tester for $30 thread and saw this there as well. Should have read further and I should have known better that everything is here...

Parts list:

1 - NPT Male x 1/4" NPT Female 3 pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - Full Flow Male Plug x 1/4" Male NPT

1 - Liquid Filled Pressure Gauge 300psi

1 - Ball Valve Shut Off Switch

1 - Clear Filter Housing

Here are the pics they are pretty self explanatory the other thing you will need is PTFE tape and there is the optional schrader valve if you want to use a bike pump instead of an air compressor.

Total: $67.00

wpstuff.jpg

wpparts.jpg

qr.jpg

cap.jpg

gage.jpg

tank.jpg

This thing is built like a tank. Apparently the MFG test specs and it is rated at 125psi the testing took it up to 435psi or so. However you do all of this at your own risk I read it on the internet like you and it is complete individual assumption of risk if you do this. We are talking about pressures and failure points. With that said I am going to test to 10atm/147psi

tank2.jpg

I need to make a head stand to hold the watch. Most use a bent up coat hanger and scotch tape. I need to think about this but that will work to test the Sub. There is a little protrusion that could be used to hold that hanger or stand.

tank3.jpg

complete.jpg

Thing seems bullet proof and I would not fear going to 250ish PSI but that is just me YMMV

Next the freshly lubed and sealed case takes a swim!

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
The little portable air compressor we have is insufficient and I could only get it to 100psi or so just after this image was taken. Let's call it 7 atm or 236 feet. Plenty for me as I doubt it will see 8 feet but I will test it again on a bigger compressor and take it to at least 10atm. Pretty damn cool! The watch was hung by the hanger and when I tipped the tank to submerge the watch it slipped down the hanger. No biggie as the hanger is coated and it worked out well.

ptest.jpg

ptest2.jpg

Reactions: phamedd2

phamedd2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/11/18
Awesome work. Put me first in line if you ever sell this. Where are you located?

alfonzo

25/7/19
Thank you I appreciate it.

I have a secret lair in North America ;-P

alfonzo

25/7/19
Well get this. I started into the movement for the second time in this build and I learned something again. LOL

I was reading this fantastic thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...n-gen-sa-sh-vr and taking note of the differences. Tonight I put the main plate in the holder and was studying it and I see that it has banking pins. So I guess that means it is not an SH V2 but a VR! So my Noob came with a VR? Hey I ain't complaining as I get to see and work on another variant and it is gonna be a sweet motor.

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
Cleaned and all but one part (in the mail) ready to go I started the reassembly and lubrication. You can see the banking pins where the pallet goes so she is a VR. The gen parts are night and day as far as fit, finish and function and the train is Smooooooth! I will get this finished tomorrow I hope.

vr-1.jpg

vr-2.jpg

vr-3.jpg

Last edited: