• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 2824 DWO (and xtal) swap?

exo

Horology Curious
1/2/19
Hi,

I'm currently playing with the idea of modding my ARF 2824 sub 116610LN.
The thing is, that the numbers on my date wheel are basically to thick as it is a well-known issue on this particular model. However, will the numbers on the date wheel already look thinner when I only swap the date wheel to a genuine DWO or is it almost obligatory to change the xtal to genuine as well? I couldn't find any pictures of comparison. Only found some pics of a modded arf 2824, with gen xtal, DWO and tube and this one looks amazing to be honest, almost no difference to gen. I appreciate any pictures of modded watches (only with DWO / DWO and xtal) and opinions that help me make my decision. thx!!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Genuine DWO's don't exist - a DWO is an Overlay on top of the Date Wheel.

A Rolex DW will not fit on any movement other than a Rolex movement.

You do not need to change the crystal if you've changed the DW/DWO.

exo

Horology Curious
1/2/19
Yeah, I know the difference between a date wheel and a date wheel overlay. I thought it would be clear, that I am looking forth to using a genuine date wheel that needs to be adjusted until it can be used as an overlay in the 2824 movement. From which the gen DWO, which I was talking about recently results... sorry for this misunderstanding..

However, thank you for your answer. But, I just wanted to know, if it is enough to exchange only the date wheel to a gen DWO so that the numbers look thin enough or do the numbers only look thin enough if I swap to gen xtal and gen DWO?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Genuine DWO's don't exist - a DWO is an Overlay on top of the Date Wheel.

A Rolex DW will not fit on any movement other than a Rolex movement.

You do not need to change the crystal if you've changed the DW/DWO.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Hi,

I'm currently playing with the idea of modding my ARF 2824 sub 116610LN.
The thing is, that the numbers on my date wheel are basically to thick as it is a well-known issue on this particular model. However, will the numbers on the date wheel already look thinner when I only swap the date wheel to a genuine DWO or is it almost obligatory to change the xtal to genuine as well? I couldn't find any pictures of comparison. Only found some pics of a modded arf 2824, with gen xtal, DWO and tube and this one looks amazing to be honest, almost no difference to gen. I appreciate any pictures of modded watches (only with DWO / DWO and xtal) and opinions that help me make my decision. thx!!

You will need to "glue" a Gen Rolex Date wheel "over top" of the original date disk of the movement. That is why the date wheel then is called (DWO) = Date-Wheel- Overlay. Because it "over lays" the original date disk on the movement