• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16610 project on 1680 base?

DangerDan

Known Member
Certified
13/1/15
Hello,
I want to start a 16610 project and my idea was it to take a 1680 2836 model and exchange the dial, the glass and the bezel insert.
I would choose the 1680 case as a base because of the lug holes.
Will it work?
I ve found out, that the glass diameters betwenn acrylic 1680 and saphire 16610 are different.
Is there any chance to exchange the parts or isnt it possible and the wrong way to do it?

My problem is the 16610 JF, because it has no lug holes and I have no possibilities to drill them.

Thank you!
Cheers
Dan

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Do not take the 1680 as base - there are too many differences between 1680 and 16800 / 16610.
As written - the crystal is one main issue!

Take a JF 16610 as base watch and try to get lug holes into the case (here are a lot of skilled persone / modders / watchsmiths which can do this for you)
Another possibility would be: Source a StarTime midcase. This case has already lug-holes (search StarTime Supply - but you need an account to buy directly there)

Reactions: mimo712

DangerDan

Known Member
Certified
13/1/15
Thank you Nur-Uhr, for the confirmation of my thinking. Do you have any experiences with the bp models? I ve only heard, that the JF model is the one to go, but I would like to take the 2836/2824 model. The JF 3135 is more gen and exchangable right?
So I will take a look at StarTime. Did you already ordered there?
Thank you!

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
I have experience with JF and TC and BP models.
It depends what you are planing to do?

I you want only a GEN like watch but with lug-holes, than a JF model would be nice ;)
Lug-holes and SEL bracelet and "Swiss MadeD" Superluminova dial like the late lug-holes model => and you are also period correct.
The advanteage of the JF is, you can put there the GEN parts inside and Franken it.

If you do not want to Franken it, then the BP is also very good choice.
But you can do the same = lug-holes drilling with the BP 16610.

DangerDan

Known Member
Certified
13/1/15
So I took a look at StarTIme, but they dont have the case...
I dont want to mod anything, beside the lugholes maybe, but the watch should be gen like with SEL and SWISS MADE dial with superluminove, no rehaut.
But is BP then the best choice or better JF?
Why is the JF that expensive?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
So I took a look at StarTIme, but they dont have the case...
I dont want to mod anything, beside the lugholes maybe, but the watch should be gen like with SEL and SWISS MADE dial with superluminove, no rehaut.
But is BP then the best choice or better JF?
Why is the JF that expensive?

When you do not want to Mod / Franken it, than yiu can also go the BP route.
Drill lug holes in the midcase and perfect. Than you have a nice look for a late 16610 lug hole model with SEL an SL dial. Nice one.

the JF is moreexpensive cause of the clone movement (SH3135) and some other nice advantages. But in your case, no need for JF.