• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Good Starter Took Kit?

ShotsFired

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/19
I searched through the forums but all the tool kit links people recommended were to watchbiz.com.au which is no longer active. The most recent kit recommendation I saw was from 2017. Does anyone have a good recommended starter kit to do basic service, small repairs, etc?

sherm

1/11/14
US
I’m also interested in suggestions for a good watch tool kit...other than Bergeron which is costly af. Everything I see on Amazon/eBay is insanely cheap.

Fox_McCloud

Horology Curious
2/6/19
I ended up getting Vastar 151 PCS Watch Repair Kit from Amazon. It was super cheap ($15) and I am super new. It looked like it had most of what I needed except the model specific backcase removal tool. It has a generic one which has worked fine with the watches I have at the moment.

Pierre Le Trek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/3/19
UK
https://www.hswalsh.com/

I recently bought a couple of screwdrivers from this site. I got Bergeon tools from their ebay site they have and didn't break the bank at all compared to a lot of other sellers.
I have had crappy screwdrivers up until now and they cause damage so it is defo worth investing in some quality pieces even if it's only one by one to start off with.
They offer discounts too.
Hope that helps a bit.

DannyTheDoberman

Renowned Member
17/11/16
U.K
If UK based:
Cousins UK
It will ask you for your company name when you sign up, but you can make one up

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Just get a good set of screwdrivers off of amazon (so you can return them if they suck). It should run about $20-$30 for a set.

Get a set of decent tweezers (non metallic of course)
Get a brass tweezer as well. It’s softer than steel so it won’t scratch up movements or cases if your hand slips.

Get a set of movement holders. (I paid $12 bucks for a set of 2 on eBay). These are essentials for working on movements or anything outside of the watch case. Case holders are optional imo. I rarely use mine.

Get some grease for the gaskets.

Get a caseback opener. For reps, you can usually get away with a sticky ball. I bought a set of Rolex case openers to make sure they go on tight.

3 peg openers are good if you like omegas.

Rodico for sure.

A loupe set. If not a set, at least get a 10x and a 5x.
Loupe holder isn’t NEEDED but helps. They can be had for about $4 bucks so no big deal on those.

I would get a de-magnitizer too. They come in handy.

That is really about all you need to get started.

Now, if you plan on modding or getting to the front side of things. You’ll need a hand removing tool. The push down version isn’t that great with low set hands so I would recommend the levers set (2 screw driver looking things that have forks in them).

That’s really about it. If you want to dig deeper, you’re going to want to buy oils, oilers, a dremel for sure, files for modding cases/crown guards. Polishing pads, polishing compounds..etc

Then you can get further in to it the more expensive the tools get.

This list can get endless but I think I covered most of the essentials. Most of the stuff can be found in watch repair sets but to get the good stuff, you’ll need to buy them separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Er. I meant to say anti-magnetic tweezers. Not non metallic. Wtf. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jomtones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
If you're looking to get into watch modding for the long term, I'd recommend skipping the all in one kits and saving up a bit more for a slightly higher quality tool set that that you're less likely to replace. The great part is that it's probably not as expensive as you think. The items I list below are not the ultimate best quality, but are SIGNIFICANTLY better than average, and you will likely never need to replace unless you get into cleaning/restoring movements (in which case you'll probably only need to replace the screwdrivers which are already cheap). The "Bare Minimum" below should cover 90% of your needs.

Bare Minimum (for just switching out parts / general maintenance)

from Otto Frei / Esslinger:
1. 4x ASCO Loupe - $20 - super good quality and fine for most of your needs.
2. Loupe headband by Bergeon - $5 (you might be able to hold the loupe in your eye without this. I can't)
3. French Screwdriver set from Ofrei (sizes .60, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4mm) - $28 - amazing quality for the price, supposedly close to the quality of a Bergeon set.
4. #2 Stainless Steel Antimagnetic Tweezers by Dumont - $22 from Esslinger. If you're careful these will be the only tweezers you'll need (e.g. no brass)
5. Hand Removers (lever style by Horotec - $36 - much more reliable than the cheap one you squeeze
6. Hand Setting Tool (blue/yellow no-hole tool by Horotec for seconds hands, orange/black tips by Horotec for minute/hour hand) - $30
7. Springbar tool - ("First-quality spring bar tool" on ofrei - It's supposedly an unbranded Bergeon version and high quality) - $25
8. Case knife - for lifting bezels or opening snap cases - Bergon knife - $25
9. Blower - use your mouth. Just kidding - Bergeon is only $12, but I use one intended for my camera lenses, you can probably find a cheap generic one on the bay.
10. Bracelet resizing tool - I actually don't use one of these, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Subtotal - $203

Things you can buy on ebay since you don't need super high quality versions
1. movement holder - copies of the Bergeon one. You may need to sand sharp edges, but you'll get a large and small - $10 (however, the bergeon versions are not significantly more expensive than these)
2. Jaxa opener - get the one with three pegs, not two $12
3. Third party Rolex Opener - $20 - in case the ball doesn't work. You'll want to cover the caseback in thin plastic before using to avoid slippage / scratches
4. Watch case holder - for leveage when opening the caseback - get the yellow plastic kind with white pegs - $10
5. Case / Crystal Press - blue one with silver handle and white plastic dies - $14

Subtotal - $66

Consumables (buy form ebay/esslinger/ofrei)
1. Stick of Rodico - $9
2. Silicone Grease - $5
3. Dial Protectors - aorund $5 for 3
4. Finger cots - lil' prophylactics for your fingers. I buy them on ebay for about $8/100. Make sure you get powder free ones.
5. Blue loctite - $6 for those pesky bracelet screws or crown tubes.
6. Pegwood - $8 - much better than toothpicks

Subtotal - $39

TOTAL for Bare Minimum - $308

Extras (for case shaping)
1. Dremel 4000 - $70 (get a kit with sanding drums and cotton buffing wheels). This jabroni was $100 back when I bought one.
2. Dremel Flex Shaft - $25 (you can probably get a cheaper bundle if combined with dremel unit). Trust me, if you're reshaping crown guards, you'll have WAYY greater control holding this.
3. Swiss Vallorbe Needle Files (try to get "barette shape", it has safe edges, and a flat cutting edge that's versatile), they're very cheap and super high quality on esslinger. You can get #4 or #2 cut $7 each. You may need different shapes for your needs, but the quality of these blew my mind for the price, compared to those 12-files for $10 sets on ebay/amazon.
4. Dialux Green - $8 on Amazon for final polishing
5. WEN 8" drill press from amazon - $75 for if you want to enlarge lugholes
6. 400- 300 grit sandpaper pack form amazon - $10

TOTAL: $202 for Casework tools

If you want to get into reluming hands, get an $8 yellow Bergeon oiler. I've tried other oilers, but something about the shape of this makes it so much easier.

The veterans here should feel free to chime in on any recommended substitutions, these items are just what have worked for me and I've been very happy thus far.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I searched through the forums but all the tool kit links people recommended were to watchbiz.com.au which is no longer active. The most recent kit recommendation I saw was from 2017. Does anyone have a good recommended starter kit to do basic service, small repairs, etc?

Are you going to going to become a Hobbit?

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Took_Family

Sorry, couldn't resist lol.