• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch stops at same time

Bettyswolloks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/4/19
Ok folks This is an odd one. I have a no date rep with a DG2813 inside. The watch will stop keeping the right time between 4 and 5 am every night. It doesn't stop ticking, if I set the time again it just stays at that time, still ticking though. Ive spun the time around 12hrs but it's just the same. Last night while up watching UFC it stopped keeping time in front of me! It slowed at about 03:05 and had stopped by 10past. This time I spun i back 12hrs and it was the same till about 03:55. As it's a 2813 it has the date function still active, don't know if there's a date wheel on there, but it trips over at midnight with no problem. And I've set it to spin over at noon to see if that was the issue, it's not.
During the day it's fine.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
It's possible that your hour hand is rubbing something just enough to stop it at the same time every 12 hours

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
yup, in my experience is rubbing against the crystal or another hand probably, use a loupe and observe that point

Asmodeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/4/15
Open the caseback, most likely you have loose movement screws/brackets. If you can't open the caseback, unscrew the crown and try to apply gentle force towards the sides of the stem and notice if the dial moves by spotting the edges.. (Don't over-do it, you'll break it.)

If not, then the dial screws are loose, and the movement screws too, so the pinion could be moving.

Otherwise you have a shot movement. Anyhow, the watch should be opened.

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
If it stops every 12 hours then the hour hand is touching something, if it stops every 24 hours then it's the date mechanism that's causing the problem.

Reactions: KJ2020

Bettyswolloks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/4/19
Thanx everyone. It's every 24hrs. Ive had more time to observe things. The date flips over at midnight, I can hear it, it's a nice crisp instant spin at midnight. It then stops at between 4 and 6 ish, well the hour/min hands do the second hand is fine.
I've got the loupe out and as far as I can see the hands aren't touching, and if they where it would be every 12hrs.

I've not opened the case up yet, I'll have a look see tomorrow.

As for replacing the movement, dies anyone know where I can get hold of a 2836 clone? I normally use a miyota 82** but fancy a change with this one.

Or is there a no date movement out there I could fit? That would be the best thing wouldnt it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Have you tried looking at the gears to see if a tooth broke or bent? That happened to me before. There was a minute wheel that had a bent gear tooth. Sometimes it would run past it and sometimes, it would just stop at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sup bro, sounds to me like your datewheel driving wheel is hanging up on something at a certain point in its rotation and dragging your gear train to a halt. I've had this happen on a couple of ETAs of mine. The solution for me was to replace the datewheel driving wheel. For your issue you can just remove the datewheel, the date finger and its spring, the datewheel driving wheel, and the quickset date helper wheel. I always remove all calendar parts on no date watches. See if this will fix your issue. I'll upload some pics in a little bit.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Any ideas?

Note: there are some variants of the DG2813s but they are similar enough you should be able to apply these notes to your movement.

After the hands and dial are off, remove the 3 screws holding the cover on. There will be a couple gears pressed on to the back of the cover.

15662452657500.jpg
​​​​​​
15662452659291.jpg

15662452659722.jpg

Any of these intermediate wheels or washer may come off and stick to the back of the cover, so remove the cover slowly and don't raise it high off the bench before turning it over. The two intermediate wheels on the left are identical and symmetrical top and bottom so they can go back in any orientation.

15662453258173.jpg

I usually take off the hour wheel but you can do the rest without this step.

15662453260364.jpg

Now you can permanently remove the datewheel driving wheel (top left) the datewheel helper wheel (right side, for quick change), and the date finger and spring (bottom).

15662453260735.jpg

​​​​​​

Remove the datewheel driving wheel by lifting it up slightly and pull it out from underneath the date intermediate wheel. This intermediate wheel will remain, it's usually pressed in and easily broken trying to remove it.

15662473892698.jpg
​​​​​​
Make sure the setting wheel and washer, and the two intermediate wheels are placed correctly and the cover can go back on.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
As for replacing the movement, does anyone know where I can get hold of a 2836 clone?

When you get ready to replace ETA clone movements in your watches, a nice step up from those supplied by the Chinese factories are Seagull ETA clones.

ST2130 for 2824

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gold-Wa...kAAOSw4VNc46zg

ST2146 for 2836

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clone-eta-2...8AAOSwlx9b-8no

The ultimate upgrade would be gen Swiss ETAs, which are sold now mostly as Selittas

https://theoandharris.com/watch-101-...ita-movements/

Selitta SW200-1 for 2824

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOVEMENT-AU...nsqB3U4xV21eQA

Selitta SW220-1 for 2836

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOVEMENT-AU...sAAOSwW9NZ4A1t

I've bought from various sellers, just pick one with high ratings. I've never had any problems with ebay movement purchases that weren't quickly and satisfactorily resolved.

Just make sure you are buying the right movement for your case. Some vendors will advertise incorrectly that the ST2130 is an alternate for the 2836, for example. While it will "work" for that purpose, of concern to us in the rep world is the stem height. Stem height is the distance from the center of the stem hole to the backside of the dial. Rep cases are designed and tubes fitted to accommodate specific movements, and these two would not normally be interchangeable.

2824 - 1.8mm
2836 - 2.25mm

As a side note the DG2813 stem height is 2.5mm

The greater the stem height the lower the crown will sit on the midcase. This will in turn influence the shape of the crown guards on Rolexes - they would have a downward curve to them to cover the sides of the crown.

Gen-BP-7-Medium.jpg

Last edited: