• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DG3804 direct swap by a miyota 8215 ?

themannier

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/13
FRANCE
I know that both dg3804 and miyota 8215 have the same size, hands etc...but what about the gmt hands and the gmt function ?
Would like to install the miyota in a BP 1675 case ;)

Thanks for your help !

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I'm asking this honestly and I did look directly on miyotas website, do they make a GMT movement? They have a lot of variations available but I did not see a GMT complication as one of them

themannier

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/13
FRANCE
I'm asking this honestly and I did look directly on miyotas website, do they make a GMT movement? They have a lot of variations available but I did not see a GMT complication as one of them

Yes i saw the same thing like you on the miyota site, but for example, would it be possible to install the set of cannon pin from the DG on the miyota...CP gmt hand with hour and minute ?? :thinking:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Yes i saw the same thing like you on the miyota site, but for example, would it be possible to install the set of cannon pin from the DG on the miyota...CP gmt hand with hour and minute ?? :thinking:

So ... if I understand what you mean ... what you want to do is :
1 - remove the GMT gears from a 3804B (which basically is a 2813 with GMT function)
2 - install those gears on a Miyota 8215 ?

I don't see no good reason to do that as the date function on the 8215 is, IMHO, more weak than the one on the 2813.
Plus you'll loose the hacking second function.
Plus I don't think it's doable.
But just for the fun of it, and as I already gave both movements in my drawer, I'll check when back home next week.

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

themannier

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/13
FRANCE
So ... if I understand what you mean ... what you want to do is :
1 - remove the GMT gears from a 3804B (which basically is a 2813 with GMT function)
2 - install those gears on a Miyota 8215 ?

I don't see no good reason to do that as the date function on the 8215 is, IMHO, more weak than the one on the 2813.
Plus you'll loose the hacking second function.
Plus I don't think it's doable.
But just for the fun of it, and as I already gave both movements in my drawer, I'll check when back home next week.

Thanks for your reply and for your help...to be honnest, i wanted to try the miyota, because i met a unexpected issue with my both dg3804....remove the stem is easy, but when it's time to reinstall it once the movement and dial are in the case, it's always the same thing,...i loose the hand winding function, i mean that in the winding position, i see the hands turn ! That's crazy !
So i removed the dial, hands and date wheel 3 times on both dg and i reseted the keyless perfectly, but nothing changed, but still the same problem.
I never met such a problem with a eta2836 as i removed and reinstalled stems on this movement maybe 200 times, always in the time setting position, and i did the same with the DG.
What's wrong with this dg3804 ? :(

I currently have my watch ready, i spent hours reshapping the case and pointed crown guard, installed a clark bezel assembly and plexi, refinished 1675 dial is ready, but i am not able to finish this project with this f*****g stem issue !

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thanks for your reply and for your help...to be honnest, i wanted to try the miyota, because i met a unexpected issue with my both dg3804....remove the stem is easy, but when it's time to reinstall it once the movement and dial are in the case, it's always the same thing,...i loose the hand winding function, i mean that in the winding position, i see the hands turn ! That's crazy !
So i removed the dial, hands and date wheel 3 times on both dg and i reseted the keyless perfectly, but nothing changed, but still the same problem.
I never met such a problem with a eta2836 as i removed and reinstalled stems on this movement maybe 200 times, always in the time setting position, and i did the same with the DG.

I currently have my watch ready, i spent hours reshapping the case and pointed crown guard, installed a clark bezel assembly and plexi, refinished 1675 dial is ready, but i am not able to finish this project with this f*****g stem issue !

Just pick up a couple of dg3805 off AliExpress. I think they are $40 or so and if it acts up, throw it away and drop another in.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Have you tried just using a 2836 in place of the 3804? There is only a .25mm difference in stem height and although I have not tried it I have read about members succeeding at doing this. It might require an extra dial spacer, which I know affects available canon pinion height for hands, and can increase date mag due to greater cyclops distance. But it might be worth trying as I don't think a Miyota option is going to work. I make dial spacers out of plastic for fixes like this, they can be sanded to whatever thickness you want. The GMT hand hole size is the same 2.0mm, the other hands will need to be changed.

15637252428980.jpg

themannier

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/13
FRANCE
Just pick up a couple of dg3805 off AliExpress. I think they are $40 or so and if it acts up, throw it away and drop another in.
You're right but i am afraid that i will do the same with every dg3804 lol ! Already have 2 dg movement out of order because of my lack of skill with this movement !

Reactions: Rx4Time

themannier

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/13
FRANCE
Have you tried just using a 2836 in place of the 3804? There is only a .25mm difference in stem height and although I have not tried it I have read about members succeeding at doing this. It might require an extra dial spacer, which I know affects available canon pinion height for hands, and can increase date mag due to greater cyclops distance. But it might be worth trying as I don't think a Miyota option is going to work. I make dial spacers out of plastic for fixes like this, they can be sanded to whatever thickness you want. The GMT hand hole size is the same 2.0mm, the other hands will need to be changed.

15637252428980.jpg

This is a good idea and i thought to go this way but does the BP case made for DG will accept the eta clone regarding the diameter ?

I believe that with all these questions i will let this project and will put my build set in the m2m :confused:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is a good idea and i thought to go this way but does the BP case made for DG will accept the eta clone regarding the diameter ?

I believe that with all these questions i will let this project and will put my build set in the m2m :confused:

2836 should fit in the case, you would need an ETA movement holder and it might need some slight modding on the case side but that's simple enough.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

I've had the same problem when I first tried to "play" with 2813 movements.
While resetting the keyless works you should lubricate all parts with some Moebius 7300.
Then check if everything's OK without the datewheel, place stem/crown in time setting position, remove the stem, grease the square part with Moebius 8300 and reinsert it ... it should be easy to reinsert.
If YES put the datewheel back on, dial and hands, check again then recase everything.

Main problem on DG2813s and DG3804Bs is lubrication.
I have 2 GMTs with 3804B and after lubricating the keyless works they've been working perfectly for the last 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Ok, i didn't know that, i should try it maybe !
Thanks again mate ;)
You don't even need a specific movement holder as you can sand a generic one to the right thickness.
But you will have to cut the dial feets as their positions are different than on a 3804B ... plus you'll have to change the hour/minute/second hands.
If I were you I would try to reset again the KW and lubricate it ... much more simple.
Next September I'll build a 16760 fat-lady GMT with a 3804B ... I'll take some pics while lubricating the keyless work and post if it can help.

themannier

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/13
FRANCE
You don't even need a specific movement holder as you can sand a generic one to the right thickness.
But you will have to cut the dial feets as their positions are different than on a 3804B ... plus you'll have to change the hour/minute/second hands.
If I were you I would try to reset again the KW and lubricate it ... much more simple.
Next September I'll build a 16760 fat-lady GMT with a 3804B ... I'll take some pics while lubricating the keyless work and post if it can help.

Many thanks for all these informations mate, it is very helpfull !