• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Submariner Repair

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
I have a two tone wrapped sub that suffers from difficult manual winding from the crown as it feels lime it misses a cog. Resetting the date and time is no problem and set correctly works fine but for the manual wind. If i am very careful and pull very gently outwards it catches and winds. Can anyone help with this please.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I have a two tone wrapped sub that suffers from difficult manual winding from the crown as it feels lime it misses a cog. Resetting the date and time is no problem and set correctly works fine but for the manual wind. If i am very careful and pull very gently outwards it catches and winds. Can anyone help with this please.

It would be easier to help you if you could post a picture of the movement or specify which movement it is.

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: johnlogan

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

It sounds like the clutch mechanism inside the crown is slipping. Winding presents the greatest resistance to the clutch, which is why it's OK for date and time set, and why pulling very gently on the crown allows the teeth in the clutch mechanism to 'bite'.

Changing the crown would solve the clutch problem.

Or it could be a worn/damaged/defective part in the keyless works which means the gears don't engage correctly - dismantling the keyless is the only way to know if this is the problem.

But I think it's more likely to be the crown clutch.