• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best watch repair/mod service in Canada

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
Yep. It was your post that sent me in the right direction. Thank you for the very detailed breakdown of some options. I also reached out to WJ, who provided a quick response as well, but decided to go with Somal.

Any update? How did it go?? Pics? Price?

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
I will be sending my VSF DJ41 for a full service and crystal swap. And a ARF DJ41 for a dial swap with a CF blue dial!

I'll let you guys know how it goes

Same here, any update from the original post date?

Where did you send your pieces, happy? Pics? Let's help the few Canucks on here out with good options for these watches

CTbeforeLP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/12/21
Canada
Same here, any update from the original post date?

Where did you send your pieces, happy? Pics? Let's help the few Canucks on here out with good options for these watches

Hey! Sorry. Plan was delayed / changed
Ended up sending my ARF DJ41 (2824 movement) and ZF tudor GMT Pepsi For a full service.

Also, sent a gen white dial for modding to install in the arf DJ41. But didn't fit and one of the dial markers got fked. He said he won't charge for the full service. But I'm still going to pay him. Felt bad. I was taking the chance at the end of the day lol. But that was very nice of him to offer.

With that, I sent him a CF dj41 for a datewheel swap, crystal and bezel swap. All went fine with that. Noted some dry areas in the movement and oiled those up.

Heres pictures of the full teardown pics https://imgur.com/a/OqVVRZI

Haven't received the invoice yet. He still has the watches.

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Stay away from BC watch repair. I sent him a watch and he messed it up big time. Just avoid him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Ok so just to make things easy, in the past 6 months. The best service/recommended rep friendly watch Smith's in Canada (Ontario really) are the below 3.

Let's keep this list up to date so people have options. Also anyone with experience outside of these 3 post up.

https://renown-watch-services.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

https://www.somalcanada.com/

​​​​​​​Victor Chow
Mississauga, ON
(905) 629-9013

For folks out of province would you happen to know if we can ship our watches to them? Or do they have to be brought in person?

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
Renown I know will take shipped watches (call or text him super easy to talk to)

Somal I believe only does shipping.

Victor Chow I have no idea

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
And i am just getting started. Expect tons of messages from me in few months time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Ra1n_Mak3r

Looking Around
19/9/20
Extremely helpful information being shared in this thread. Forgive me if I have overlooked it, however, was anyone able to establish a worthy watch smith within the Vancouver (BC) region?

Many thanks.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Extremely helpful information being shared in this thread. Forgive me if I have overlooked it, however, was anyone able to establish a worthy watch smith within the Vancouver (BC) region?

Many thanks.

I’ve looked. Haven’t found one yet. But watch this thread hoping someone else will get lucky and post about a rep friendly watchsmith in BC.

Reactions: Ra1n_Mak3r

drunkensheep

Horology Curious
27/5/15
Any update? How did it go?? Pics? Price?

Apologies for the slow reply. I sent a Seamaster 300 M Spectre Edition V6F to Somal for repair/servicing. It had stopped entirely. Admittedly, I had not serviced it in a couple of years. $225 for the repair and service (including the shipping back). Good communication. Watch is running well.

Full disclosure - a screw did come out about a month or two later and was loose inside the case but I was able to put it back. Not sure if it wasn't fully tightened when returned or, got loosened up in shipping, or just from me banging it around as this is my daily wear. I wont fault them. I will use Somal again.

They also now send me their watch part catalogue. :)

drunkensheep

Horology Curious
27/5/15
Stay away from BC watch repair. I sent him a watch and he messed it up big time. Just avoid him.

I shipped mine to Somal. Pretty easy to coordinate with them over email and they gave me a call to confirm pricing once they received the watch and evaluated it.

haze3715

walked out, no purchase history.
Supporter
Certified
8/8/21
Canada
Another positive experience with Victor Chow. Dropped my VSF Seamaster NTTD after I was having issues with the crown (it would slip while winding) and not keeping power reserve. Turns out all it needed was a servicing. Work was done pretty quickly, text/call to arrange a time pickup since - I'm from out of town he is not always in-store. VSF NTTD is now back up and running! Will be using Victor's services again in the future!

Abe Fromen

Certified
10/12/15
Canada
So I went here:

https://www.wjwatch.com/services/
WJ Watch Repair and Supply
Address: 205 CHURCH STREET SUITE 101, TORONTO, ON, CANADA
Phone: +1 416-368-4044
Phone: +1 416-595-9709
Email: [email protected]
Business Hours: Monday ~ Friday: 10 a.m. ~ 6 p.m.

Tip if you are going...it's cash only.

Because my hour hand wasn't advancing. They opened it up on the spot, determined the issue and fixed it while I waited, about 10-15 minutes and $25 later I'm out the door.

Funky place, about six watchmakers there, very busy. Very pleased... will go back for sure.

Reactions: Momo666

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
@RDRoss I have been mainly using renown watch services in Whitby. I mail it and he mails it back to me when its done. Haven’t tried anyone else.

Reactions: Momo666 and RDRoss

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
@RDRoss I have been mainly using renown watch services in Whitby. I mail it and he mails it back to me when its done. Haven’t tried anyone else.
Thanks Sir. I will send off my Daytona and pelagos for attention. Do you know if they do any customization type work?

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
Well depends on what type of customization. So far I have had dial swaps, movement swaps, complete service, crystal replaced. These went well. He is easy to reach and you can call him anytime which I like.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Well depends on what type of customization. So far I have had dial swaps, movement swaps, complete service, crystal replaced. These went well. He is easy to reach and you can call him anytime which I like.
Thanks. Was looking to have dial , bezel and hands swapped. Also looking to have them build a few things. Like assembling a 9411 I have that is all gen parts.