• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datewheel doesn't spin when try to change manually. (but works just fine when switching every 24h)

FFenberg

Horology Curious
15/2/19
Sweden
Hi all,

Start to apologize if this matter has been up before, tried to search bit couldn't any answers.

Recently bought a Datejust 36mm from Puretime, a really nice piece of work.

But I ran in to a problem earlier today, when changing date manually, it felt like something "clicked out" etc. little bit hard to explain. But when I try to spin the crown to with date, nothing happens. Just a smooth spin.

They date works just fine when it switches automatically every 24h.

Is this something common or easy to fix? something a really noob dares to fix on my own?

Thank You!

Dynaduck

Sales moderator
Advisor
6/4/11
Thought it might have something to do with the keyless works, but maybe not? On to the other experts :)

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Mine does the same. I am the only owner, have never changed the date during the forbidden hours....the movement is just hit and miss. You can find lots of feedback on this movement and it's date change frailties searching on the term 'sh3135'. Best case scenario it can be resolved with a service, worst case you will need to change some parts for gen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Thought it might have something to do with the keyless works, but maybe not? On to the other experts :)

You're not very far from it, actually. On ETA movements there are two different mechanisms that affect the datewheel, check this out: ​http://www.ofrei.com/page1232.html​​

Part 2555, calendar driving wheel, is the one that changes the date automatically every 24h. It sits somewhere around 9 or 10 o'clock if I'm not wrong.

Part 2543, intermediate date wheel, sits close to the keyless works, as it's the one that changes the date manually by turning the crown in the second position. Sadly, it can be easily bumped out of place if the plate that holds it in place is not properly screwed, or if the watch gets a hit.

So, yes, it's a keyless problem and you have to reset it. It's a royal pain in the ass if it's your first time as it involves getting the case back open, remove stem, de case movement, take hands of, dial off, datewheel off, keyless works off and re set them in place (along with all the rest). Any experienced watchsmith can do it in a matter of minutes but your first time will be a nightmare and I can guarantee you will lose something. A gear, a screw, your patience, anything.

So yes, take it to a watchsmith or enjoy a good lesson on horology, lol.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Mine does the same. I am the only owner, have never changed the date during the forbidden hours....the movement is just hit and miss. You can find lots of feedback on this movement and it's date change frailties searching on the term 'sh3135'. Best case scenario it can be resolved with a service, worst case you will need to change some parts for gen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I have realised that while the OP doesn't mention the movement, we have both assumed two completely different options, haha.

FFenberg

Horology Curious
15/2/19
Sweden
Now I have realised that while the OP doesn't mention the movement, we have both assumed two completely different options, haha.

Excuse me for being the complete NOOB here :)

As i understand it; Since the Datewheel switches every 24h as it should be, there most be something wrong with the "wheel" that's do the manual switch?

Or am I completely wrong here?

*Trying to learn*. So all your inputs are highly valued!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Excuse me for being the complete NOOB here :)

As i understand it; Since the Datewheel switches every 24h as it should be, there most be something wrong with the "wheel" that's do the manual switch?

Or am I completely wrong here?

*Trying to learn*. So all your inputs are highly valued!

Exactly. Part 2543 is probably out of place slightly and so the pinion doesn't connect correctly and it doesn't make it move the datewheel when you turn the crown.

FFenberg

Horology Curious
15/2/19
Sweden
Exactly. Part 2543 is probably out of place slightly and so the pinion doesn't connect correctly and it doesn't make it move the datewheel when you turn the crown.

On a scale from 1-5. (5 the most). How hard would you say it is to look at myself? I do need to mount down almost the whole watch?

Thanks!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
On a scale from 1-5. (5 the most). How hard would you say it is to look at myself? I do need to mount down almost the whole watch?

Thanks!

I bet $50 you will make it worse, haha. No offense, of course. Taking all the keyless works out and reassembling them isn't quite complicated, it's all the stuff you have to do before you have access to it what is. You can screw up a lot of things before reaching that point.

FFenberg

Horology Curious
15/2/19
Sweden
I bet $50 you will make it worse, haha. No offense, of course. Taking all the keyless works out and reassembling them isn't quite complicated, it's all the stuff you have to do before you have access to it what is. You can screw up a lot of things before reaching that point.

Haha.... got it!

I will just live with it I think.

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
Yes.

Problem is that I have some problems finding one. More than Happy to send it on somewhere in Europe.

Do you have any tips?

Still we don't know what movement you're talking about...
Don't forget that a new 2824 clone can be found for 50$
If you have a 2813 I suggest to replace it (direct swap) with a Miyota 82xx ( buy a used one, service it and you're fine...)

(Either way, don't forget to keep the old Date Wheel or Date Wheel Overlay)

Last edited:

FFenberg

Horology Curious
15/2/19
Sweden
Still we don't know what movement you're talking about...
Don't forget that a new 2824 clone can be found for 50$
If you have a 2813 I suggest to replace it (direct swap) with a Miyota 82xx ( buy a used one, service it and you're fine...)

(Either way, don't forget to keep the old Date Wheel or Date Wheel Overlay)

Hi,

From what I can see it´s a clone of the SH3135.

Replaceable with the ones you suggested?

Thanks for your input! :) Highly appreciated.

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
Sorry, no... SH3135 is a Rolex clone with his own size/handsize/stem height... you can fix it with original parts or... buy another SH3135 from Yuki (maybe the whole movement from Yuki is cheaper than the original parts...)
Maybe a modder can replace the SH3135 with a 2824 or 2836 but it could be a difficult task and you have to buy new hands (since the SH3135 hands won't fit the ETAs....)

Last edited: