• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Beat error adjustment

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Question: when adjusting beat error should be done in several positions, or beat error is the same regardless of the watch position?
​​​​​
I'm looking to get a timegrapher to adjust a few watches I've got, as I don't quite trust Tickoprint. And suddenly realised that I'm not sure about that question. Theoretically beat error should be the same regardless of position, right? However, tickoprint gives different readings depending on position.

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
In my experience I saw a lot of watches beat error which can change up to 0.4ms from two different positions. if it’s more, you may check escapement and balance, if all is ok, you theorically have to find the middle way to minimise the beat error excursion between positions. Or maybe you can put the watch with 0.00ms beat error in dial up, then put the watch in the simulator-winder(or at the wrist), and every 12 hours check if the time is ok, and in case regulate the timing. You may have too beat error in a position but if it stays under 1ms it’s not a problem for the watch theorically.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Grazie mile! Will try to find that sweet spot between different positions (mainly dial up, dial down and crown down).

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Finally, someone with an actual intelligent question on timing! Seriously though, I have been beating the timing/position drum for ages. Watch accuracy is not determined in one position as 99% people think. Although, it's been my experience that beat error is not affected as much by position as timing. I have seen over and over dial up and dial down on beat error can run nearly identical. I would start dial up, get beat error in then work on timing...then go crown down and see if there is a change.

I like beat error near perfect dial up and then I get timing at about +3sec / day...that way over time my watch gets more accurate.