• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ST-16610 lugs vs gen

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Just not quite there..... what would be the best approach guys? Want to slim down these ST lugs just a hair looks like.

what would you guys say take a shot at it?

ST (LEFT) Gen (RIGHT)
please let me know your thoughts and what would your approach be to this fix.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I think we're heading the right direction

(Right side slimmed) ST 3135 case

pic's to follow stay tuned

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Nice work buddy !!! Keep going

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Perpetual

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
Even though I have an account, this is the issue that keeps me away from the ST cases...

Good luck!

B

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I think we're heading the right direction

(Right side slimmed) ST 3135 case

pic's to follow stay tuned

Damn bro, that's some nice slimming! I removed a lug dent once that effectively slimmed down that lug a little but your talking big league mod here. Good so far!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Damn bro, that's some nice slimming! I removed a lug dent once that effectively slimmed down that lug a little but your talking big league mod here. Good so far!

Thanks brother! More pics to come rough scetch complete for now

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Even though I have an account, this is the issue that keeps me away from the ST cases...

Good luck!

B

I'd say give this case a try it is indeed very good quality and water proofness isnt a problem grease the seals and good to go! Besides, the price @175. Isnt a big loss if something were to fail.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Okay here we go, THE LUG PROGRESS

You'll need to invest in some of these. Got these cheap no need for anything special. I dont recommend shaping cases using dremel tool, too fast cutting leading to fast mess ups. (Happened with my cartel 5513)

Anyways, back into the clamp we go.

I used two wood blocks i cut out and rigged it quick just for this purpose nothing special, but it worked for what i needed it for.

After your done bringing it to a desired shape you will have what I call a rough scetch. It will need to be then sanded according step by step starting out with sand paper. (I used 120 grit - 1500 finish before buffing wheel)

Okay I did each lug by hand while in the clamp checking it from time to time making sure they look alike and symmetrical.

Now that I'm fairly happy with the shape back into the clamps it goes

Here it is after it was hit with sanding paper starting from 120 grit then 220 and finished with 400 grit sand paper for now. This is what it looks like.

moving forward to 600-1500 grit (straight jump)

What it should look about after your final sanding paper using 1500-2000 grit (straight jump)

we are now ready for the buffing wheel.

Couple more pics in the light

Okay now for the buffing wheel,

TIP: tape off any unwanted surface with masking tape (white masking tape is perfect)

please excuse the buffing residue compound on the case works.

TIP #2: never wipe off the compound after buffing! You will scratch the buffed surface because the compound is still active.

bath the case after tape is removed (warm water soap and soft tooth brush)

Well you guys get the point, as mentioned earlier taping off the surface not wanting polished I use a razor blade cutting along the edges finely to create defined lines.

Now just for fun a few shots of the bath :D

Warm water soap and a soft tooth brush does great to remove all that buffing compound.

Final finished product next up!

Can't forget the traditional wrist shot

Thanks for reading guys! Let me know what you think leave any comments below all comments welcome good bad and the ugly haha

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Truly outstanding work bro, beautiful outcome! I was wondering about one thing, though. I'm not an expert on the history of these cases but a lot of them I've seen have a very pronounced beveled edge (chamfer). Is that something you might add at some point or were there some serials that didn't have that? Just curious, I think you certainly could do that if you wanted to. Quite a lot of skill showed here!

Pic is a NOS P serial from here
http://thegreengmthand.com/rolex-16610-submariner-p-serial/

15597124261982.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
OK looks like you did do this, I can see it better in this pic. Wow, really impressive!

15597136614333.jpg

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Yes your exactly right the original 16610 comes with chamfers and I thought about doing them but held off because even though I've done them in the past I wasnt fully happy with them as the chamfer edge wasnt satisfactory sharp being that I dont own a chamfer tool.

here's a picture of this sub after I redid the crown gaurds Where I also included the chamfers with using what I have..(files and buffing)

If I ever get my hands on a chamfer tool I'll put some in or maybe use files again.. but for now I'll keep it without.

(pic) of chamfers I put in done before the lug overhaul

Reactions: KJ2020

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Truly outstanding work bro, beautiful outcome! I was wondering about one thing, though. I'm not an expert on the history of these cases but a lot of them I've seen have a very pronounced beveled edge (chamfer). Is that something you might add at some point or were there some serials that didn't have that? Just curious, I think you certainly could do that if you wanted to. Quite a lot of skill showed here!

Pic is a NOS P serial from here
http://thegreengmthand.com/rolex-16610-submariner-p-serial/

15597124261982.jpg

Thanks for the ki d words! I'm still learning! Experimenting as I go :D

Reactions: KJ2020

Kanew

3/5/15
Kent
Maybe a year late, but awesome work mate. I’m just about to try and get some dents out of a gen case :)

McPwn

21/9/20
Bumping this thread.. good beginner tutorial for re-shaping lugs! Thanks for documenting!

Reactions: Voo-doo