• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mod a 1680 to ???

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
I picked up this 10 year old Sub 1680 recently. From what I can tell (and I am a novice at this), it's a pretty inexpensive rep with a DG2813/A2813 movement. I am thinking about doing a mod to a MilSub with sword hands. I am in the discovery stages and this would be my first build. So, I want to keep a tight budget.

I would appreciate everyone's advice.

I have done a little research and found the following:
I'm going to venture an UNeducated guess at $50-$100 for labor to "build" the final product.
That's around $200.00 for the build, plus the original cost of the watch.

My specific questions are:
  1. Is this watch even worth modding to something I'll enjoy wearing more?
  2. If so, do you think a $200 budget is decent for modding the watch to a specific non-gen like design?
  3. If not, what would be your (preferably non-snarky) suggestions on what to do with the watch instead?
Now, to the photos of the watch as acquired... The entire album is here, if you want to see it.

VkMdK2.jpg
VkM5Ka.jpg

VkeRoo.jpg

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
From personal experience, I enjoy wearing watches that I've had a hand in building much more than watches I got already assembled, whether they are straight-from-the-factory reps, modded, frankens, or even gens. Can't put a price on enjoying the crap out of something you had a hand in putting together.

That being said, if I were you I would've started with a higher quality base with a a2824 movement (no particular reason, I guess), but it's up to you. If you're going for the milsub look, I think you can actually get a better quality purpose-built cartel milsub for less (after selling the 1680).

Reactions: GMT1675

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
From personal experience, I enjoy wearing watches that I've had a hand in building much more than watches I got already assembled, whether they are straight-from-the-factory reps, modded, frankens, or even gens. Can't put a price on enjoying the crap out of something you had a hand in putting together.

That being said, if I were you I would've started with a higher quality base with a a2824 movement (no particular reason, I guess), but it's up to you. If you're going for the milsub look, I think you can actually get a better quality purpose-built cartel milsub for less (after selling the 1680).

I hear ya on wearing something you have a hand in building. That's part of my purpose in the thought. As for this particular watch, I'm not committed to doing anything with it just yet. I was kinda thinking along the same lines as you stated -- a better quality starter would make for a better quality finished build. But, that's why I asked -- to get more learned opinions and advice. I honestly don't even know what this 1680 rep is worth -- and, I'm guessing on the 2813 movement from looking at photos of movements.

THANKS for your feedback nsk2135.

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
The way I look at reps now ever since investing a lot in a franken AP ROO, learn that it wasn't for me, and lost out a lot on the resell, is 1. wear something that you like, and 1b. wear something that you can make your money back (lol). If you can't fulfill 1b, then --> 1c. Be prepared to lose money haha.

Unfortunate, I know, but it's not any different from buying gens.

At least if you start off with a higher quality base, you can command a return with minimal loss (as profiteering is not allowed on this forum =D), but maybe more importantly, garner a lot more interest from prospective buyers/traders.

My 2 cents.

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
I appreciate the insights. As for looks, the modded watch would fulfill #1 - I want a watch that looks exactly like what this one would end up being. However, I'm know it would fail on #1b. And, I wouldn't use #1c (most likely) because the watch would be modded beyond what I think most folks would want (very non-gen like) anyway.

I also kinda torn between making this cheapie into a watch that LOOKS like my dream watch and putting that $200 towards a ZF BB Red Shield or GMT. This is excellent food for thought, though. THANKS again!

Matt5513

9/3/18
Raffles' dial is 29.2 mm: how to mount on this watch? I ask, because If it is a JK I think it should have a 26 mm dial.

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
You may also consider PMing la Fantasma as he has built vintage reps of the 1680 at both high and low price points, and has built several milsubs. He can also suggest what parts fit into/onto which cases so that you won’t have to lose money due to trial-and-error buying of components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I appreciate the insights. As for looks, the modded watch would fulfill #1 - I want a watch that looks exactly like what this one would end up being. However, I'm know it would fail on #1b. And, I wouldn't use #1c (most likely) because the watch would be modded beyond what I think most folks would want (very non-gen like) anyway.

I also kinda torn between making this cheapie into a watch that LOOKS like my dream watch and putting that $200 towards a ZF BB Red Shield or GMT. This is excellent food for thought, though. THANKS again!
Why don't you consider doing all the work yourself ?.. that way the most you could loose would be $100 (parts price).
You topic title is with "mod a 1680" but, please don't take no offense, if you pay somebody else to do the work that's "having a 1680 modded".
The watch you're starting with is nice and I suppose you got it for cheap so the risk is low and the opportunity of wearing something unique is high.
Have a look at my A/6538 thread in my signature ... I started with a $60 Silix case and ended with an almost unique milsub, something I really couldn't afford if I didn't do the work by myself (no idea about how much a modder would ask to do that build but I know ow many hours I spent on it).
That's why my opinion is "mod it and make it unique".

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
You may also consider PMing la Fantasma as he has built vintage reps of the 1680 at both high and low price points, and has built several milsubs. He can also suggest what parts fit into/onto which cases so that you won’t have to lose money due to trial-and-error buying of components.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Ride2live! The watch is otw to Johnny now. He's going to look at it and let me know the best options.

Why don't you consider doing all the work yourself ?.. that way the most you could loose would be $100 (parts price).
You topic title is with "mod a 1680" but, please don't take no offense, if you pay somebody else to do the work that's "having a 1680 modded".
The watch you're starting with is nice and I suppose you got it for cheap so the risk is low and the opportunity of wearing something unique is high.
Have a look at my A/6538 thread in my signature ... I started with a $60 Silix case and ended with an almost unique milsub, something I really couldn't afford if I didn't do the work by myself (no idea about how much a modder would ask to do that build but I know ow many hours I spent on it).
That's why my opinion is "mod it and make it unique".
Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

I wish I could mod the watch myself. Unfortunately, my eyesight is horrid now. And, my hands are too shaky. I have tried the simplest tasks of removing hands and putting them back on -- and it just didn't work out well. I do appreciate the suggestions, though. BTW, your A/6538 is very nice looking! Thanks!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks Ride2live! The watch is otw to Johnny now. He's going to look at it and let me know the best options.

I wish I could mod the watch myself. Unfortunately, my eyesight is horrid now. And, my hands are too shaky. I have tried the simplest tasks of removing hands and putting them back on -- and it just didn't work out well. I do appreciate the suggestions, though. BTW, your A/6538 is very nice looking! Thanks!

Sending your watch to JL was the good way to go !!! congrats

and sorry to learn about your shaky hands ... though that can be quite good ;) for very specific purpose :p