• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Things To Do While Waiting on Parts for Another Project

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
So my fiddling with reps has led to fiddling with some gens too. Just happened that someone asked me if I have ever worked on a 7750. Sure, fake ones. Turns out that was good enough for him, he asked me to take a look at his gen Breitling Avenger II. Couple issues:

First was easy, clean the bezel as it was very stiff and didn’t click through the positions with authority. Simple task - unscrew 8 screws around the edges of the bezel. Use a case knife to pop bezel off. Happy ultrasonic bath. Scrub stubborn grit with alcohol and pegwood. Reassemble.

Second was a mystery - date would not flip over with hand movement (manual or as time went by). Quick set worked fine. I suppose it’s time to open this beast up and get to the root of the problem.

V1vASb.jpg

There she is.
V1yutd.jpg

Open up the case, remove the crown, release case clamps, remove movement, take off all six hands, remove dial, and - aha - the date driving wheel is missing a leg.

V1yVQ2.jpg

It should look just like the day driving wheel here.
V1yK9Z.jpg

Time to get to work and removing a bunch of things from the top side of the movement.
V1yz6R.jpg

All these things above.
V1yvSg.jpg

Replace the driving wheel with a new one.
V1yIQa.jpg

Reassemble and test the functions. Works great!

Pro tip - get a movement specific holder when working on chronos. No matter what you do it’s impossible to utilize an adjustable movement holder without the chrono mechanisms getting in the way.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice work, and documentation. I'm curious about the replacement part used, was it gen? The final pic looks like the DW is sitting low and slightly crooked.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Nice work, and documentation. I'm curious about the replacement part used, was it gen? The final pic looks like the DW is sitting low and slightly crooked.

Thanks. Yes, gen part from Ofrei. DW is crooked. It starts to move ever so slight at about 10:30 even though it finally turns over with a click at 12:00.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks. Yes, gen part from Ofrei. DW is crooked. It starts to move ever so slight at about 10:30 even though it finally turns over with a click at 12:00.

Ah yes of course!