• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Daytona ARF movement

mike58

Horology Curious
3/4/12
Hi
i bought another watch from MaryL recently it's an ARF Daytona and looks wonderful but the automatic movement holds very little power and will stop fairly frequently. Compared to other reps I have this is unusual.
Mary being a trusted rep has offered to replace the movement but it is a hassle sending back to China.
ive tried to contact Ado213 but no reply and I know he is very busy
So are there any options in the UK? Would servicing the movement free it up and make it perform more normally
just looking for advice and if possible another UK name if a service or repair will avoid a round the globe shipment
Thanks ,
Mike

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Are you fully manual winding it? The ARF rotor is too light to fully charge the watch automatically. Getting rid of the deco plates and ARF rotor and fitting a standard 7750 rotor usually sorts it.

Reactions: KJ2020

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Servicing is recommended,..autowind parts are known for issues depending on the mvt...is it the 4230 clone? .maybe replacement of the mainspring in the worst case

Matt5513

9/3/18
Are you fully manual winding it? The ARF rotor is too light to fully charge the watch automatically. Getting rid of the deco plates and ARF rotor and fitting a standard 7750 rotor usually sorts it.

When getting rid of the deco plates is it necessary to add some spacer ring or tabs?
Since genuine 7750 rotor part number is 1143/1 and 2836 rotor also, do you think is it possible to use a 2836 for this mod?

Thank you!

mike58

Horology Curious
3/4/12
Thanks for the quick responses. The watch was a gift to my uncle and as he has an original ( Daytona Platinum ice face chocolate bezel now used by his son! ) he manually wound it but reported poor performance .
i don't know the movement make, I don't have a tool to get the multi toothed case back off. I'm certainly keener on getting a heavier rotor fitted than having the movement replaced with an identical one.
my problem is locating a UK based person to do this.
Mike

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
When getting rid of the deco plates is it necessary to add some spacer ring or tabs?
Since genuine 7750 rotor part number is 1143/1 and 2836 rotor also, do you think is it possible to use a 2836 for this mod?

Thank you!

I had to change the movement tabs for thicker ones I think. No you’ll need a 7750 rotor and oscillating weight screw, 2836 rotor won’t fit.

Reactions: KJ2020 and Matt5513

mike58

Horology Curious
3/4/12
Very interesting stuff thank you. I presume it has to be an original 7750 rotor and not a generic replacement ( I'm guessing these aren't heavy or balanced properly).
I'llcheck out online what's involved in a rotor swap, I'm loving finding this stuff out, this is what forums are for!
cheers