• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA 2836-2 Keyless Works

Autobot

Known Member
29/1/16
Man what a life saver, thanks Raddave for posting the links to our sister site!

pavalov

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/6/17
This would look even better with pics!

D

d4m.test

I had this issue recently. Managed to fix it myself without removing the dial/hand from the rear with a great youtube video (not allowed to place links yet, but search: ETA 2824 - Winder stuck in calendar position). It was the same for my 2836.

Akonhell

10/9/17
I had this problem with my gmt 2 ich, I took the tube out and couldn't put it back.

Akonhell

10/9/17
Does anyone still have pics for these? I'm too lazy to register for an account on the sister forum, I heard that they have similar post over there

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Will a 2813 fit into a 2836 case with 2836 dials and can a 2813 crown + stem be used with an eta 2836? Many thanks

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Will a 2813 fit into a 2836 case with 2836 dials and can a 2813 crown + stem be used with an eta 2836? Many thanks

The 2813 would likely fit into the 2836 case but the stem height is different. When you try to put the stem in there will be a vertical angle created such that the crown will have an angular component of force pushing it against its threads unevenly top to bottom. This will make turning the crown extremely difficult and risk damaging its threads and/or the tube threads.

You can use a 2813's crown on a 2836 movement, but you will have to swap out the stem. They are different in shape and not interchangeable.

Also, the datewheel is in a different position between these two movements so if a cyclops is involved, a crystal swap or cyclops reposition will be needed. The dial feet are not in the same position either so they would have to be clipped and replaced or dial dots used. Use the proper movement in the case it was designed for.

Posted response primarily for the benefit of others since the question is 7 months old.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
daytona4me I wonder if anyone has access to the original pics or could rewrite this with their own pics. I was looking on YouTube and there’s no good clear videos showing the keyless reset how to. Daytona4me do you have contact info for the OP? Maybe he’s got the images we could re upload using pic.r.me. If he’s not coming back, I’d be willing to fix the orig thread if you can get me the pics from him. Just an idea. I’d really be interested in fixing some of these broken posts.

Dizzy

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
To reset the keyless works, you must remove the hands, the dial, and the datewheel. Then disassemble the keyless works and reassemble them correctly.

See this video. Start at the 5:15 mark for keyless works disassembly. NOTE: DO NOT take the crown wheel off, no need and the chance of losing the click spring is great. Skip ahead in the video for reassembly.

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Common problem on the ETA movements, especially if you remove the stem by pushing in too far on the setting lever in the wrong position. I just fixed this on 2 watches for a forum member...and yes the frontside needs parts pulled in order to fix. I saw a video once of someone accessing the keyless from the train side and repositioning the keyless...I have tried that but I couldn't get it right. The spring tension was not allowing parts to position properly.

joeyjoejoe206

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/10/10
Any update on this thread with pictures would be great - I recently had the same issue, there are a couple of youtube videos and older websites that loosely show the process, but if the pics were visible on this thread it would be really useful