• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breitling Super Ocean II DOA - Rotor wont stay spinning

F15DOC

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/6/07
OK, you guys totally helped me fix my Avenger SeaWolf, so now lets tackle this one.
Breitling Super Ocean II that wont run. This is a new watch, but when I got it about a year and a half ago it wasnt running.
So I set it aside thinking I would get to it someday... today is someday....
I am a total novice with watches (I needed help getting a simple stem out on my last cry for help).
So this one might be a much bigger bite than I can handle, but maybe you guys have a few troubleshooting tips I can try?
The mechanism is (I believe) an Asian 2824.
The watch appears in great condition inside. No rust, clean, dry.
The oscillating rotor (whatever you call it) will spin back and forth for a second or two when I try to manually activate it.
But then it just stops, doesn't appear to be rubbing or scraping on anything.
I tried just spinning the autowinder for awhile assuming maybe that was the problem, but no change.
Of course I didn't know which way to spin the autowinder so i tried both ways.
Any suggestions?

VuXDVT.md.jpg

VuXZgA.md.jpg

F15DOC

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/6/07
Well.... nevermind.... I don't know what or how... but the watch started working...
I will wear if for a few days and see if it keeps working and if it is keeping good time...

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
the oscillating rotor that goes back and forth is actually the balance, or hairspring...the most delicate part on the watch. easily destroyed if mishandled. the rotor is the weight attached to the autowind mechanism. on ETA's it doesn't matter which way the rotor spins, there are 2 reversing/ratcheting gears in the autowind train that allow the watch to wind no matter which direction the rotor spins.

You should also be able to hand wind ETA's...crown in first position.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
welcome to the world of watch repair...say good bye to all your free time as you now get better and refine your skills...also know that around every watchsmith a magical ether appears, you can't see it but it is there....and sometimes, parts just disappear into the ether. You will never find them, you will curse and wonder why you ever tried to remove that jewel cap...

But, in the end, you can say...I can fix that...and not many can.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
It's an Asian ETA, so that's good....if the "brass" balancewheel is moving it should be ok,