• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JF Explorer - SA 3132 Movement Rotor Issue?

NewbyUK

16/3/17
Morning All,

I've recently bought a JF Explorer, SA3132 Movement and when I received it I thought that the rotor was a bit noisy as I heard a clicking everytime I turned my wrist. After having it for a few days I have woken up twice to the watch having stopped overnight, a good wind gets it going again.

Would I be right in thinking that this sounds like the rotor has fallen off? The rotor on this movement shouldn't be THAT noisy and it certainly shouldn't stop overnight having worn the watch all day (none of my other automatic watches stop overnight).

How simple is it for me to remove the caseback and pop the rotor back on? Looks quite easy from some of the posts that I have read but I have never opened up a watch before and don't want to break anything! Would I need to get one of the sticky rubber balls to open the caseback or could I do it another way?

Thanks for any help!

NewbyUK

16/3/17
VZcOuf.jpg

Kingsman

Renowned Member
24/11/15
Savile Row
To address the rotor sound, if it was detached you'd know. It would just rattle when you shake it; usually the case is that they are poorly lubed, hence you hear a kind of a "grinding" noise, but you can tell it's still on.

As far as the power reserve is concerned, I believe I read on the forum some time ago that it might be a regulation issue which should be a piece of cake for a watchmaker, and not that terrible of a DIY task if you take the time to educate yourself.

If you'd like to open it, there should be cheap Rolex caseback openers on the Bay, I'm not sure if the rubber would be your best shot but not excluding it either.

Reactions: NewbyUK

NewbyUK

16/3/17
Well I managed to get the case back off. Easier than I thought actually.

It seems the rotor is on ok. There are 2 red gears there that turn when I move the rotor. The rotor does make a clicking noise when I turn it. I’ve pressed down on the rotor slightly to make sure it is on properly.

Anything else I can check myself whilst I have the case back open?

NewbyUK

16/3/17
Haha we posted at the same time! Thanks for your help. Seems the rotor is on so the mystery continues!

NewbyUK

16/3/17
And for those wondering, an old table tennis rubber balled up will do a good job getting the caseback off!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
The SH313* series tend to have issues with the autowind. There's a couple of threads discussing this more directly but the bottom line is a couple of parts (reversing wheels) need to be swapped for genuine pieces and it'll autowind correctly. Let me ask this, if you fully charge it by winding it via the crown how long will it stay running?

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and NewbyUK

NewbyUK

16/3/17
Thanks for the help. It seems to stay running for about 46 hours if I wind it fully by hand.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Haha we posted at the same time! Thanks for your help. Seems the rotor is on so the mystery continues!

The reality is these movements need a service, and those red gears should be replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Send a message to ado213, he’s in UK and can fix it up for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pcghill

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thanks for the help. It seems to stay running for about 46 hours if I wind it fully by hand.

So that indicates the movement is otherwise healthy. Where are you located? You'll need to replace the reversing gears at minimum. Unfortunately it's an known issue which affects some. once to watch Smith has it apart they can inspect the rest of the autowind module and see if anything else is amiss, but most likely it'll be otherwise fine. If you need suggestions for good competent watchsmiths, message me and I will give you a few names.

NewbyUK

16/3/17
Thanks both, I’ve used ado before for a repair and he does great work. Will give it a couple of days and see how I get on.

Reactions: pcghill

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
I think I have some gen reversing wheels left if needed

NewbyUK

16/3/17
Would there be any issues in removing the rotor and using the watch as a manual wind? I’m guessing it might damage the movement as it isn’t designed to be hand wound all the time.