• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replace movment or service?

pattyshack

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/19
I'm pretty new to the rep watch thing and I recently purchased a noob v8 submariner which has the 2836 movement in it. The movement runs smoothly, but it definitely loses a decent amount of time daily. Is it more worthwhile to get it serviced or to replace the movement?

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
How much time? Is the watch new? You could just get it regulated.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Probably just needs regulating (or even demagnetising, though more likely the former) - a quick and cheap fix (even doabke at home, have a search on YouTube).

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
It wasn't new. And anywhere from ~20s to ~60s daily

Not horrible. I'd look at instructional videos and threads on regulating it. If you are not comfortable, a watchsmith can do it for $30-$50. Trust me, it's not that hard on that movement.

pattyshack

2/2/19
Not horrible. I'd look at instructional videos and threads on regulating it. If you are not comfortable, a watchsmith can do it for $30-$50. Trust me, it's not that hard on that movement.
Yeah I watched a few videos and it doesn't look too bad so I may give it a try

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Yeah I watched a few videos and it doesn't look too bad so I may give it a try

Just make sure you hack the movement before adjusting and grease the seals to keep the gasket from binding.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Be careful to move only the regulating arm on tbe balance assembly. Moving the stud arm will change the beat of the watch, and without a timegrapher it cannot be accurately adjusted or corrected if you move it. Also, be careful to not impose a downward force on the regulator arm or any part of the balance assembly. Use a small screwdriver (or a toothpick sanded blunt on one end and wiped off with alcohol) and hold it parallel to the floor while adjusting. Make adjustments in as small an increment as you can manage, then test for results. Without a timegrapher, note when the seconds hand sweeps through a marker (i.e. 12 o'clock) and start a digital stopwatch on your phone. Wait for the second hand to complete a full minute, stop the stopwatch and compare. Readjust accordingly. After the two become very close, let the seconds hands hand run longer, 2, 3 minutes, etc. Finally let it run 15 minutes or so and compare. You can make final tiny adjustments with the micro adjustment screw. Clockwise movement of the regulator arm will gain time.

Adjust it face up first, when happy test it face down. If it differs you can re-regulate to split the difference. If you have a huge difference between the two, you have more issues than regulation.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Be careful to move only the regulating arm on tbe balance assembly. Moving the stud arm will change the beat of the watch, and without a timegrapher it cannot be accurately adjusted or corrected if you move it. Also, be careful to not impose a downward force on the regulator arm or any part of the balance assembly. Use a small screwdriver (or a toothpick sanded blunt on one end and wiped off with alcohol) and hold it parallel to the floor while adjusting. Make adjustments in as small an increment as you can manage, then test for results. Without a timegrapher, note when the seconds hand sweeps through a marker (i.e. 12 o'clock) and start a digital stopwatch on your phone. Wait for the second hand to complete a full minute, stop the stopwatch and compare. Readjust accordingly. After the two become very close, let the seconds hands hand run longer, 2, 3 minutes, etc. Finally let it run 15 minutes or so and compare. You can make final tiny adjustments with the micro adjustment screw. Clockwise movement of the regulator arm will gain time.

Adjust it face up first, when happy test it face down. If it differs you can re-regulate to split the difference. If you have a huge difference between the two, you have more issues than regulation.

^^^What he said because he said it very well indeed.^^^

Reactions: KJ2020

pattyshack

2/2/19

Awesome. Thanks for all that detail!

hotrodder

Known Member
6/12/17
Another great tip
Found. There is so much great info on this site
Thanks to all for sharing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk