• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Sub Red 1680 repair/what do I have? Help!

sfmatt79

Horology Curious
2/3/10
Sausalito, Ca
Hi all,
I bought this modded 1680 red in '13-'14. I have been trying to find the original purchase thread, but have had zero luck so I am not totally sure what I have here.

The watch has served me well. I have worn it regularly and beat it up, but it is time for some service.

I have looked for someone local to "service" the watch, but cannot find anyone to help other than one watchsmith who just wants me to buy new parts.

I love the worn look of the watch (I bought it this way), but definitely added some dings and scratches of my own. I don't need or want new looking piece, but I do want the watch to function as it should or at least as it did when I first got the piece.

The bezel popped off and the insert and pearl came loose a while back. They were put back on, but do not move and are all but locked in place.

I'm looking for someone that can help me locally (San Francisco) or someone I can send to on this forum that can help me get this thing cleaned up and working as it should.

I do not know any of the build details of the watch as the original sale thread is lost to me, but do recall it has some gen parts and was built by someone on this forum.

Hope I can find some help here. This site is very informative, but also a little overwhelming for a noob.

Pictures could be better, but it's the best I could do with my iPhone.

Yes I know it is very dirty
face61dc7d41a0ca7b62.md.jpg

watchback20eff305e6755f97.md.jpg

sidecrown969f5192dec7a439.md.jpg

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
what wrong with it aside from the bezel not turning?

I believe in another thread he stated that it is running several minutes per day fast. I'm assuming a movement service will be needed.

sfmatt79

Horology Curious
2/3/10
Sausalito, Ca
yodog Nothing has gone "wrong" with it. It's just keeping fast time (5 minutes fast every couple days) It was never perfect, but it was much better.

The bezel popped off a while back (banged it hard while moving some furniture). The insert came loose, the bezel and the wavy spring washer behind the bezel all came out.
I took the watch and the parts to a local watch guy and he "repaired" the watch. He charged me for his time and for a gen wavy spring washer thing. He had the watch for a couple weeks and when I went to pick it up the bezel and insert were locked in place. I paid him half of what he wanted and and left frustrated.

Fast forward 2 plus years. Last night, I popped off the bezel only to find the bezel and the insert were locked in place because the previously mentioned repair guy glued or sealed the pieces back on without the wavy spring washer thing that I was charged for. Spent a fair amount of time cleaning all the pieces.

Now the watch is clean ish, the bezel snaps back on, but loosely without the spring washer and the insert is very tight around the crystal and seems to need some fine adjustment. The pearl literally fell apart when it come out and is now gone.

What I need help with now.

-Identify all the components of the watch as best as someone can, so I know what I have. If I ever decide I'd like to sell it, I'd like to be confident about what I'm selling.
Case, movement, crystal, crown, any modification it might have (drilled lugs) etc etc. What parts are genuine (I think there are a few) and what is other and what those other parts might be. Basically anything a buyer and seller would want know know.

-Set the bezel, insert and a new/aged pearl with the correct spring washer so that the parts fit and move as they should.

-Service the movement so that it keeps as best time it can and or replace the movement to one that is more appropriate if this one is way off.

-Repair anything else that might need to be looked at, I've noticed it is quite difficult to set the date on the watch, very hard to find the right spot with the crown.

-Properly seal the watch so that I can wear it in the water without worrying.

Hope this all makes sense and that I might find someone here that is willing and able to help me.

Last edited:

sfmatt79

Horology Curious
2/3/10
Sausalito, Ca
Rx4Time yes it is running fast, I've all but given up on trying to find the original sale thread. Now concentrating on finding out what I have and getting Humpty Dumpty put back together

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Rx4Time yes it is running fast, I've all but given up on trying to find the original sale thread. Now concentrating on finding out what I have and getting Humpty Dumpty put back together

Where are you located? Yodog would be an excellent source to send it to. Tripdog is also highly recommended. Both are vintage Rolex experts.

sfmatt79

Horology Curious
2/3/10
Sausalito, Ca
Where are you located? Yodog would be an excellent source to send it to. Tripdog is also highly recommended. Both are vintage Rolex experts.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. Yes, Yodog did chime in on the post, I put up some details. I wait and see if I hear back from him before I reach out further.