• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Printable DWO (Date Wheel Overlay) align template for ETA 2836/2824 -> Rolex 3135/3035

riderocket

18/9/18
Pretty well discussed subject but still can help someone in the same situation like me.

I know there is a DWO alignment help tool on shapeways but IMO it is too expensive for what it is and I am not aware of the source files availability. https://www.shapeways.com/product/L6...dwotool-v1-1mm
So I started to make my own alignment tool which can be printed on some transparent paper and used as an aligning aid for just a few cents.

Idea is a total ripoff of the above mentioned DWO align tool, and I don't claim to be the inventor.

This is where I am so far:

riderocked DWO align tool - DWO align tool

(this is only a screenshot, crosshairs are perfectly centered and dial feet locations are correct)

Is there anyone interested in this? I can release the sources for the community but still need some help with the measurements.

I have ETA feet location, dial size, center hole, diameter, etc. accurate data from various technical documents.

What I am still missing is the exact position of the 3135/3035 date window and size. I can only resort to using the calipers on my gen Datejust dial and the prototype has been made using those measurements. I would really appreciate someone helping me out with some tech docs that have this data.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a frequent poster and more of a long time lurker here, so pls. be gentle :)

Last edited:

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Just a suggestion, why don't you use a old dial with eta dial feet and a rolex date window, just drill 3 more holes through the dial at 6, 9 and 12.

These holes allow you to move the DWO and adjust it on the datewheel to get good alignment at the dial date window. I usually use a couple of soft wood picks to move the DWO about as it slides real easy if you bond the DWO to the datewheel with 2-part epoxy. It gives you enough time to get alignment, you can use either quickset or time change off the stem to check all numbers.

The beauty of this is that you can use your jig dial over and over again, ok you scrap a dial but who doesn't have a scrap dial hanging around !!

Reactions: itgoes211 and Maron

riderocket

18/9/18
ado213 Thanks for the tip, it sounds like a real nice method.
Could you please direct me towards a dial that has ETA feet and rolex date window? I'm uninitiated and haven't seen such thing yet.

riderocket

18/9/18
UPDATE: It works. Printed on paper windows cut with razor, used 0.74 dial feet to keep it from moving around. Surprisingly accurate.

riderocket

18/9/18
Or here are some barely usable 3d prints from a helpful friend.
mqCA8.jpg

(now that's a total ripoff of the existing DWO tool which I have found in thingiverse after this endavour - can't reach thingiverse now but a link will follow)

Reactions: itgoes211

HootschiGootschi

„105 OR 1=1“
Patron
Certified
6/2/19
HG in da house
The DWO alignment Tool is something I want to have...
unfortunately i don’t have a 3D printer...

could somebody help me out?
based in Germany and will pay for it

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13

In this link there is a button that says "Order this printed" this pop up 3 companies that offer the service. Other option is to find using goole maps a local store for you that offers 3D printing services and carry the files posted in this thread, hope it helps

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3040962

fishnet

Horology Curious
27/7/19
Does anyone know if there is a tutorial with pictures to do the entire DWO process glued?
Thank you

riderocket

18/9/18

Just print out my paper template and have a go with it.
I've used it successfully, just cut the holes with an xacto knife and voila instant DWO tool.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Does anyone know if there is a tutorial with pictures to do the entire DWO process glued?
Thank you

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...and-dirty-datewheel-overlay-adjustment-2836-2

I bought the 3D tool and have never found it useful. If your DWO is the exact same outer diameter as the DW (most of time it is), I just put a mark on the DW edge on opposite sides and temp affix the DWO with some tiny strips of Rodico (can also use masking tape). With the DW installed on the movement, rotate and temp stick the DWO to what looks good, then put the actual dial (or a similar spare dial) over it and see how it looks. Change the date with the crown to all dates. BE CAREFUL not to let the DW get scratched up on the dial underside - use the dial spacer! Once satisfied, mark the outer edge of the DWO to coincide with the DW marks. Use slow cure epoxy to perm affix the DWO. I've gotten to where I just leave the DW installed on the watch and glue it in place. Or you can remove the DW and glue it off the watch. Just line up the marks on opposite sides, the slow cure epoxy lets you adjust all you need to. Put it back on the watch if you removed it and check all dates, adjust again if needed. If you totally botch it up after it dries it can still be sliced off with a razor blade and everything sanded back down.

15658858927992.jpg

15658859151446.jpg

15658859150715.jpg

15658858929203.jpg

15658858929754.jpg

15658859152437.jpg

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
In action (with two extra manipulation cutouts):

mqyqD.jpg

There is one reservation with this that I have. The date wheel is always centered by a springloaded yoke, which means that when you align this way you may still introduce a deviation. The springloaded yoke will always pull the date wheel a bit to the side, and knowing the date wheel will always have tons of play, as it isn't running on a bearing, but just held in place by the plates around it's circumfence.

Just saying....

Last edited:

riderocket

18/9/18
There is one reservation with this that I have. The date wheel is always centered by a springloaded yoke, which means that when you align this way you may still introduce a deviation. The springloaded yoke will always pull the date wheel a bit to the side, and knowing the date wheel will always have tons of play, as it isn't running on a bearing, but just held in place by the plates around it's circumfence.

Just saying....

100% percent correct. Still way better than just freehanding it.

It's a good practice to run the disc around using the quickset after finishing alignment then readjust if necessary.
Sometimes I find that I get different results by flipping the date over skipping 24 hours ahead in the time set position. It is due the reasons you've just pointed out.

All in all the procedure is still more like art than science.

Ro13x

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
10/11/19
Europe
KJ2020 Thank you very much for your useful tips, that was exactly what I was searching for!

Reactions: KJ2020