• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying ETA hand sets

TheKnight

16/11/18
Good job!

Ok stems came in. the winding is so grindy now. like a zipper sound when i wind the movement.

Good news is i reset the keyless and it was kinda easy!

however, now the movement ticks and i hear the heart beat but the gears dont turn when i turn the stem. no movement. something is disconnected somewhere. i patted it all down dunno where the disconnect can be?

Reactions: KJ2020

TheKnight

16/11/18
pull the movement, need to pull the hands and then release the dial feet. Dial will come off and you can start trouble shooting at this point. Have you experience pulling hands and a dial?

they sent me ETA 2892 hands. should that be fine? maybe thats the issue?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Ugggg.... you might need to get on the other side of the movement. I would let the mainspring power down and look closely at the ratchet wheel and winding mechanism. You do not want to force ANYTHING. I have worked on movements where the owner wound it and all it did was ruin the minute wheel, hour wheel, and clutch.

Take a picture of the other side, closeup and post it.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You can and should check for proper functioning of the keyless and the motion works even before putting the dial and hands back on. Did you completely disassemble and reassemble the keyless? That is what is generally done for a 'reset'.

TheKnight

16/11/18
can you post a pic of the keyless as it stands today?

i took it all off and did it again. i think its working right now. but i lost a dam screw. cheap tweezers. it flew somewhere. dunno where it is. so i can't test out yet.

do u know where to buy spare eta screws?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Do you know which screw it was? They are mot all the same size

TheKnight

16/11/18
ok everything was working. but then i took the stem out super gently. and now when i put it back in. it doesn't click to position 1 or 2. just stays stuck? i was just sizing the stem for the case.

now it goes it. but clicks in. but wont click out? do i have to reset them again????

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
you'll definitely need that screw, and you may need to reset the keyless. the ETA's can be a pain when you pull the stem out.

Reactions: TheKnight

TheKnight

16/11/18
yup the yok came loose from the thing that moves bakc and forth. wow. and i was super super gentel taking off the stem.

TheKnight

16/11/18
your project seems to be going out of the frying pan and into the fire....

its weird almost everytime i remove stem from movement the yok jumps out. and im super super super gentle on it. like it makes no sense! anyways, all i need now is a screw and i can put it back together

TheKnight

16/11/18
you'll definitely need that screw, and you may need to reset the keyless. the ETA's can be a pain when you pull the stem out.

i can't believe how these eta's seem so high quality yet the simplest thing is terrible designed.

i did the keyless 3 times already lol. im really good at it now! thats the one positive.

carbon fibre tweezers are trash. i can't believe how hard it is to hold anything with them!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
its the quick set date screw. how do i find the sizes

These screws are hard to find, but can be bought from Ofrei. Unfortunately they are like $4-6 but there's a min shipping charge of like $12 so yeah.

I went through my old parts and found one that will work. It's from a different movement but I tested it and it should work fine. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you. Free if conus, if not you'll need to send me postage.

Confirm it's the one in the pic, the date jumper cover screw. The replacement will be blue and has a slightly domed head, but the threads are the same.

OVgid.jpg

Yes you will need to reset the keyless again. Make sure the stem is in the setting position when you remove or insert it. After you get it working again, I suggest removing and replacing the stem a few times to get experience knowing exactly how to do it perfectly on this particular movement. Observe the positions of the setting lever and the corrector lever on the edge of the movement when the stem is in the setting position. That double stack where the arrow is pointing. Thats a properly functioning keyless. It should look just like that with the stem removed. If it doesn't, the keyless is fouled again. Practice removing til you do it with ease every time. Then put the dial and hands back on and remove the stem the last time.

OVSJZ.jpg
​​​​​​

Reactions: TheKnight

TheKnight

16/11/18
I can't tell from your photo but I remember it did have a rounded top
3a4a81425071e4860a8ce1a7d7261f99.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TheKnight

16/11/18
Kj is it normal to have a vague second position on these etas.

I can feel the time setting position snap good and clickin for winding position good but

second position is so vague is there something wrong. I usually Miss second position and go straight to third or first

TheKnight

16/11/18
Yes i scratched my date wheel hand slipped. Screwed up the 29

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Kj is it normal to have a vague second position on these etas.

I can feel the time setting position snap good and clickin for winding position good but

second position is so vague is there something wrong. I usually Miss second position and go straight to third or first

It's not normal, but it can happen as parts begin to wear.