• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying ETA hand sets

TheKnight

16/11/18
Anybody know where to get a good set of ETA handsets from?

Also my watch doesn't change date by itself from the 10th to the 12th. Quickset works and all the other dates work normally anyone know what the issue could be?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TheKnight

16/11/18

Also my watch doesn't change date by itself from the 10th to the 12th. Quickset works and all the other dates work normally anyone know what the issue could be?

darn they dont make for 2893 eta. the size is same but heights are different for gmt hand

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area

this seems a bit puzzling...but if all the quickset works and all the date driving functions work on all other dates except 10-12...that leads me to believe the problem lies in the date wheel teeth. I would think the date corrector spring and the calendar driving wheel should be ok since the date snaps on all other correctly. Movement will need to come out and hands/dial removed to be sure. Could also be something hanging up the date wheel when it gets between 10-12...but still need to remove the dial.

TheKnight

16/11/18
this seems a bit puzzling...but if all the quickset works and all the date driving functions work on all other dates except 10-12...that leads me to believe the problem lies in the date wheel teeth. I would think the date corrector spring and the calendar driving wheel should be ok since the date snaps on all other correctly. Movement will need to come out and hands/dial removed to be sure. Could also be something hanging up the date wheel when it gets between 10-12...but still need to remove the dial.

I'm gonna have to do it tonight. I'll check it up. I hope its not a big deal. maybe a 2836/2824 date wheel will fit inside. It shouldn't be to difficult to get to the date wheel. i think its a couple plates.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
pull the movement, need to pull the hands and then release the dial feet. Dial will come off and you can start trouble shooting at this point. Have you experience pulling hands and a dial?

TheKnight

16/11/18
pull the movement, need to pull the hands and then release the dial feet. Dial will come off and you can start trouble shooting at this point. Have you experience pulling hands and a dial?

yes im really good at dial and hands. I did half turn the dial screws to get the dial off. i have tons of experience with seikos and modding.

So i checked and the date wheel is fine!!! all teeth seem good. I think the setting spring was off? or it wasn't fully flush with the case movement?
OQu8RkY.jpg

BUT NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM. The stem wont lock in place. it goes back in but pulls right out. it wont lock in place. I tried pushing on it and pushing the stupid pin hole while pushing it in and the dam stem snapped. I dunno how much this is gonna cost to fix now. :((((

so i ordered new stems from ebay. good lord ETA's are annoying compared to seiko movements.

the pin hole to release the stem is 0.5mm? i had to use a pin. and maybe i pushed the canon off the yoke? i dunno

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
yes they are...Seikos certainly made their movements real easy to work on. When pulling the stem on ETA's you need to be very very careful or you screw up the keyless works. I think you are supposed to only pull the stem with crown fully out in time setting mode...you'll have to check on that. Lately I do it with the crown in 2nd position and only depress the release JUST ENOUGH to let the stem come out. You might want to get into the keyless and reset it while the dial is off. Before you put the dial back on I would make sure the calendar can set in quickset and in time setting mode.

TheKnight

16/11/18
yes they are...Seikos certainly made their movements real easy to work on. When pulling the stem on ETA's you need to be very very careful or you screw up the keyless works. I think you are supposed to only pull the stem with crown fully out in time setting mode...you'll have to check on that. Lately I do it with the crown in 2nd position and only depress the release JUST ENOUGH to let the stem come out. You might want to get into the keyless and reset it while the dial is off. Before you put the dial back on I would make sure the calendar can set in quickset and in time setting mode.

I dont have enough confidence to get into the keyless works. from which side is easier? i feel like the top dial up is not enough to fix it

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ETA stem removal should be done in the setting position. Use a 1.2mm (120) screwdriver to push the stem release button. There is a ledge in the hole that will prevent the screwdriver from depressing the button too far. If for some reason the screwdriver won't push the stem release button down far enough, an old cheap springbar tool works well. You can roll sand one down to the perfect diameter and keep it on hand. Like Spector said, just *think* about pushing the button down while holding gentle outward pressure on the crown. It will release nice and easy without fouling the keyless.

You will need to reset the keyless works before putting the dial back on. After the reset, I always remove and replace the stem a couple times before putting the dial and hands back on so I can be confident it will work when it's back in the case. This will also give you practice doing it when the consequences of failure are the least.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I dont have enough confidence to get into the keyless works. from which side is easier? i feel like the top dial up is not enough to fix it

It's not rocket science. If you can remove and replace dial and hands you can do keyless. Have a look at this video, start about 5:15 in. You need to remove the motion works, then the keyless, nothing else from the dial side. Easy peasy. Fast forward to where he puts it back together.

https://youtu.be/qtgAJBPPefM

TheKnight

16/11/18
Mine is the 2893 GMT. It it seems like it's got a lot of screw down gears connected to the motion work in the middle.

And I got to take off the date wheel as well correct?
5b68fa3db5fa6b6d6677b51a865b1c8f.jpg
15816739e317a10bae8a5412aa96ac13.jpg

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
others may chime in as I am not familiar with this model, but the method is essentially the same...lift the gmt wheel off then you are going to want to get the calendar date ring off. Usually on ETA's you take the date corrector spring and cover off (looks like around 6 o'clock)...then you take the cover off the hour wheel which will give you access to the keyless. I think you can search online and find the ETA assembly pdf which will have an exploded view of parts for assembly and disassembly.

like KJ2020 mentioned, this is no more difficult than what you have already done. Take your time, don't force anything. It's actually very easy at this stage. Here is the ETA document. Just do some homework first, Google is your friend. Hopefully someone will chime in that has experience with this movement.

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopMod...609&DocType=DT

TheKnight

16/11/18
Okay thanks guys. I'm going to wait a week and a half for the new stems to arrive and I'll try to see if it works again because I moved the little gear in the keyless works and I think I might have corrected it.

I used a little pin and moved it from the top side I compared it to a photo of a fully functioning one. If not I'll take apart the motionworks and the keyless and then rebuild it it doesn't seem too bad but it is a little intimidating because it's an ETA and it's expensive.

TheKnight

16/11/18
others may chime in as I am not familiar with this model, but the method is essentially the same...lift the gmt wheel off then you are going to want to get the calendar date ring off. Usually on ETA's you take the date corrector spring and cover off (looks like around 6 o'clock)...then you take the cover off the hour wheel which will give you access to the keyless. I think you can search online and find the ETA assembly pdf which will have an exploded view of parts for assembly and disassembly.

like KJ2020 mentioned, this is no more difficult than what you have already done. Take your time, don't force anything. It's actually very easy at this stage. Here is the ETA document. Just do some homework first, Google is your friend. Hopefully someone will chime in that has experience with this movement.

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopMod...609&DocType=DT
By the way that link doesn't work when I click on it it says restricted access.

The motion work seems like a couple more gears then the normal ETA 2824.

but they seem like they're screw down and easy as long as they're not reverse threaded.

The thing at 6 o'clock...are you talking about that little plate where the calendar teeth are under?

TheKnight

16/11/18
The date retention spring is at 9 and I don't think I want to take that one off I think I can get by without taking off the date wheel.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here's a video showing disassembly and reassembly of a 2892 clone it should be pretty much the same. Reassembly of the keyless works is about 14:30

https://youtu.be/FLkowlY99Q8

I suggest taking a pic before removing every part, makes for easy reference on reassembly

Reactions: TheKnight

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Okay thanks guys. I'm going to wait a week and a half for the new stems to arrive and I'll try to see if it works again because I moved the little gear in the keyless works and I think I might have corrected it.

I used a little pin and moved it from the top side I compared it to a photo of a fully functioning one. If not I'll take apart the motionworks and the keyless and then rebuild it it doesn't seem too bad but it is a little intimidating because it's an ETA and it's expensive.

Good job!

TheKnight

16/11/18
Thanks. I'll watch the videos all next week while I wait for the stems.

Lol. Hoping to never have to actually do it.

but if I do do it I'll report back here on this thread in a couple of weeks hopefully with good news

Reactions: KJ2020