• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Platinum Rolex Daytona 116506, trying my luck with extreme modding

darki699

Horology Curious
11/12/18
Israel
*** Disclaimer: All photos, names and links mentioned in this post are with permission ***

Making a Super-Rep into a Super-Duper-Rep:
My project, which I took upon myself, will consist of:
Obtaining a "Daytona 116506 SS Brown Ceramic Bezel Noob 1:1 (best edition) Ice Blue Dial on SS Bracelet SA4130" and modding it to become as nice as the gen as possible.
I will follow this process of modding a Noob Platinum Daytona and upgrading it right here.
This consists of some very experimental mods, and the outcome of which may be a Hail or a Fail - Hopefully it will be successful.
The first stages of this process will be explained below, I will edit this post and add photos as I go along:

1. Rolex Daytona - ARF or NOOB?
I don't really want to dig into the debate whether ARF looks better than NOOB or NOOB has the best mechanism and which is better - Both are very good replicas each in it's own way.
I'll just state that when I buy a watch, I don't like to pretend something is working when it's not, but that's just me - I want a functioning chrono in my Daytona.
ARF chrono is not working so it looks better but it's out. Noob has working cloned mechanics, almost 1:1.
So of course my decision to go with Noob was after I read a lot about both leading brands of replicas:
If I went with a model such as the Rolex 116610 Submariner, then I'd go with ARF, it looks more like the gen:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/7072192-best-submariner-arf-or-noob
Since I chose to go with a Daytona, and a particular one at that, I need a functional watch and chrono, and since my technical knowledge about the mechanics of Rolex watches is zero to none -
when I read that Noob is the only factory that produces mechanical clones of Daytona, SA4130 being almost an exact clone of the mechanics and movement, I was sold.
I will be modding the appearance, and not the mechanics.
For the entire Daytona Noob or ARF interesting debates, I recommend these threads (very good read):
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...5-arf-vs-noob-sa4130-final-battle-d-some-pics
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/6715572-arf-or-noob-daytona

2. Obtaining a high quality super-rep of this magnificent piece.
Maybe it sounds easy to some of you out there, but for me it is a huge headache.
First I read many reviews about all the TDs, those who didn't have a site with photos were dismissed.
Some of the TDs sites are not working, or were closed, those were dismissed as well.
Some didn't have all the watch brands, some didn't disclose the type of mechanism I'm buying, didn't state if the watch was 4130, or 7750, or SA4130, which version it was or even brand.
Finally I had 3 TDs I needed to select from: Either PureTime, InTimeWatch or ChazingTime. I chose to get my piece from ChazingTime.

PureTime: https://puretime.io/daytona-116506-...tion-ice-blue-dial-on-ss-bracelet-sa4130.html
InTimeWatch: https://www.intime03.co/rollie/4636...tion-ice-blue-dial-on-ss-bracelet-sa4130.html
ChazingTime: https://chazingtime04.co/products/d...best-edition-ice-blue-dial-ss-bracelet-sa4130

Notice the piece is mislabeled on the ChazingTime site, classifying it as 116509 instead of 116506, but that means absolutely nothing to me - Except for a *sign that I need to order from them*.
After making my order, I communicated with Ken and he was very nice and patient - Very professional.
After the payment was made via Western Union, he agreed to send me QC photos, allowed me to share them with all of you and even to mention that I got the piece from him.
Once I'll have the QC photos, I'll then add them to this post.

My order:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...zingtime-first-time-ordering-from-this-dealer

3. Molotow or Sharpie Bezel, maybe PPM(?) - Modding the bezel to gen standards.
As I read in many of the threads here, the first main issue with Noob is that the Bezel is off, but I also found a few solutions here on the forums!

A. Molotow/Sharpie - Looks nice.
By simple and easy modding, you can actually make the Noob bezel look very close to the gen one at home.
All you need is a good acrylic metallic silver pen or marker, free time and no talent.
As I understand, you can color-in the Bezel with the waterproof metallic silver acrylic, wipe the outside with an alcoholic tissue.
Repeat the process a few times and you have a very good looking bezel:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...otow-paint-mod-first-try-by-soloist-pic-heavy

B. PPM (Platinum Painting Mod)
This can not be done at home. You need to take it to the jeweler to have the bezel platinum coated, or send it to this guy:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...-platinum-plating-mod-noob-ceramic-insert-sub

4. The 116506 SEL
Just mentioning this since I saw a lot of people debating about the precious metal Daytona SEL comparisons between ARF and Noob.
In my opinion, in any other Daytona, ARF SEL wins - Unless you are looking for Gold or Platinum Daytonas, then the Noob wins.
Noob SEL has a better angle, but also has a small 0.5mm gap - both Noob and ARF are not recessed on the edge.
It won't really matter once I take it to the jeweler, since the gap will be filled by coating and the edge will be coated as well, so - fixed.
Note that precious metal gens have different SELs than steel gens, which seem more like the Noob.

5. Taking it apart, going to the jewelers, and then reassembling:
Daytona 116506 gen model is made entirely out of platinum, hence the price of $70,000!
a gram of platinum costs $30 (check me). The 116506 weighs 286 grams, so it should cost 286X30 = $8,580 more than a regular Daytona, not $50,000 - $60,000 more!
I have a watchmaker friend and a jeweler friend who are nice enough to help me with this part.

For those of you who lack the knowledge as I did, the coating process is a special process where you de-ionize the steel, and then paint the steel with precious metals:
Platinum coating a ring example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9kfswSo9aY
The same process can be made with Yellow gold, Rose Gold, White gold (which you actually see an outer coating of rhodium).
Gold coating a stainless steel knife example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3hvbtwE3Ho
Since the piece comes in SS and not in platinum, no matter how much you polish it, you will see a difference.
In my opinion, this particular Daytona is a jewel and not only a timepiece. It should shine as bright as a diamond bracelet and weigh heavy.
Have you ever had a white gold ring? Compare it to a steel polished ring. That's the difference I am talking about. But there is a solution:
A. My plan is to disassemble the piece and safe-keep the inner parts.
B. Take the case, bracelet and bezel, and have them platinum coated for 8-10 minutes (Platinum cost of approximately 200 Euros).
C. Then reassemble the piece.

If you have any suggestions, I will gladly take into advise, but please don't be a hater.

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Coolness! Good luck on this very interesting endeavor, darki699! Can’t wait to see how this goes. Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: darki699

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Well I think u have a few things to think about,

1) the font of the Noob bezel is wrong, not matter what paint or platinum mod you do, is wrong and an easy tell. I would get an ARF
2) you might want to look at the dial, Noob for 116500 is not as good as ARF but for 116520 is fine.
3)gen hands and crystals, if you are in a budget at least get the crystal
4) bracelet clasp, as I have read the Noob one is rubbish so you might like an ARF one.

Best of luck with your projects and pls keep us informed. :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Adrenix

5/12/18
agree with phil. If you are going to these lengths you should at least replace the dial. Probably bezel and crystal too.

Also reshape the case (lugs).

Wraithier

19/6/16
Curious how the platinum coating will work. I know we're only talking mm in thickness here but will the coating affect the stiffness of the bracelet and the fitment of the SELs? I know you mentioned .5 mm gap on the SEL so maybe it's a non-issue.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
agree with phil. If you are going to these lengths you should at least replace the dial. Probably bezel and crystal too.

Sorry yes.. It also needs case work as well

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

darki699

Horology Curious
11/12/18
Israel

philwongnz
Adrenix

Lugs - In my opinion they look better on the Noob than on ARF, the ARF lugs are skinnier than the gen and completely the wrong shape.

Dial - Agree, but if I remember correctly, you can't swap the Noob / ARF dials since Noob size is exactly the same size as the gen, but ARF is slightly larger by 1mm or so, and I'm scared to start shaving dials it's extremely risky... :confused:
*Though it seems the dial on this particular model is not half bad, take a look at the images and tell me what you think of it?
https://chazingtime04.co/products/d...best-edition-ice-blue-dial-ss-bracelet-sa4130

Bezel - The ARF bezel isn't exactly 1:1 size of the Noob or gen as well, it's slightly larger, and ARF bezel needs to be shaved down from 2.7 mm to 2.5 mm and the gasket needs to be 2.3 mm, meaning it should be complicate to swap them :confused:

Hands and Crystal - Agree, but I need to check the price for the crystal and not all hands fit - this may be a problem.

Clasp - You are absolutely correct, ARF has a much better clasp!

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
*Though it seems the dial on this particular model is not half bad, take a look at the images and tell me what you think of it?
https://chazingtime04.co/products/da...racelet-sa4130

The Noob Daytona 116506 ice blue dial is completely wrong comparing to the ARF and gen. It doesn't have individual sunburst subdial.
Check out the ARF dial

daytona-116506-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-ice-blue-dial-lume-markers-a4130-super-clone-v2.jpg

darki699

Horology Curious
11/12/18
Israel
The Noob Daytona 116506 ice blue dial is completely wrong comparing to the ARF and gen. It doesn't have individual sunburst subdial.
Check out the ARF dial

daytona-116506-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-ice-blue-dial-lume-markers-a4130-super-clone-v2.jpg

You are correct! I haven't noticed it until now. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Now that I see it I can not be unseen. :blush:
How would you go about this? Changing the dial is a really big issue, because of the size differences between ARF and Noob models.

Luxuracer

Renowned Member

darki699

Horology Curious
11/12/18
Israel
OAxMZGahxDHFnk9aYJ2YvK2_l6KVzFI74BQBpDM8kiwhyZR62cky2NmXgv1y1JO5buG42CrLAYAHiGW_n6kH
Zus_F8zRDTU5dv-bNOJAKJD6Yf_jWSs9As6WjlRrRzi5Iec3TOlq6KfIkUpcXL1gvPMC6lQSBp2oyAfmHWu9

LDJiYX4eKrmcvTBG37kSFwdSnT0xdVtgrYeqGnTZH65L3zxYRizQXmU95OWe9Ivx0B1PaIAmrbLPv8AE6-bL

vLzUY_3FIq87Ao73FcFlrYQTVx79Mq5HgCrlkX4YEVygxQQrPy5GUOv71aJUM99oN0sZjTknCjv5xZDafehi

hogf8HJ4bssBasjfwehpYrQ7jIiq9BWlznPbDQOn4Wg6rjblqLHMSqrsTrH1TPfxIBymfph_-yoKhMeS9Lr5

9n96cMeLsVQ0o8aX9nreAK72LwagmZ24u2DPyRHZARQvkN-s9ZyjEAd4OQ8DZum5R-uNntzMM4WRQ-jVIRZx

jDcryB2J1Z3SuaOchECn23e__UzD0Gb49GVy6y7NvQm92i_6_vx57NGnyZvpTcuZ_FLkmWuGjRX6LyozxCZk

134novEg7sJqVhEyc31uiIG-ExBUH-iVXx5CuOWKQVuqWg75nF4-QYFDNrCBd2TvpKWOsTPPIxblftOPiU0P

0TK31UFsISBHEnuJGj3yZdSxvORUBVDs0miyRrKyvmGeSiP_jRfFHWNU7iOJi69M4Rr31xrPiMCcv3rgFdMr

QC photos of my order courtesy of ChazingTime. :ach:
These images were shared after I was granted permission to do so.

Sorry that I couldn't add them to my original post as I promised, editing that post is no longer possible due to the site configurations.:frusty:

Enjoy m8s
:drinks_cheers:

darki699

Horology Curious
11/12/18
Israel
Sorry about that, QC pics

dWIMK.jpg

dWQAe.jpg

dWclT.jpg

dW0bA.jpg

dWeqQ.jpg

dWxMf.jpg

dW9AX.jpg

dWlvs.jpg

dWo8p.jpg

dWNqh.jpg

QC photos of my order courtesy of ChazingTime. :ach:
These images were shared after I was granted permission to do so.

Sorry that I couldn't add them to my original post as I promised, editing that post is no longer possible due to the site configurations.:frusty:

Enjoy m8s
:drinks_cheers:

manoamano

Horology Curious
11/1/19
Looks great in the QC pics! I initially wanted to order this particular model from chazing time but the QC pics in their site had a few differences. The back case didnt have the stamping indicating its made of platinum and the logo stamping. Also the case didnt arch downwards at the top and the bottom of the back case. Am i looking at the same exact watch u ordered?

https://chazingtime04.co/products/d...best-edition-ice-blue-dial-ss-bracelet-sa4130

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
Looks great in the QC pics! I initially wanted to order this particular model from chazing time but the QC pics in their site had a few differences. The back case didnt have the stamping indicating its made of platinum and the logo stamping. Also the case didnt arch downwards at the top and the bottom of the back case. Am i looking at the same exact watch u ordered?

The Daytona 116506 Titanium case is different from the Daytona 116500 SS case.
The QC pictures are of the CORRECT 116506 Ti case with all the correct marking. The first few pictures on Chazingtime are correct, the last few are wrong (I think they re-used the picture of the Daytona 116500)

Daytona-116509-SS-Noob-1-1-Best-Edition-Ice-Blue-Dial-On-SS-Bracelet-SA4130_-13.jpg

pre-order-daytona-116506-ss-case-brown-ceramic-bezel-noob-1-1-best-edition-ice-blue-dial-on-ss-bracelet-sa4130.jpg

manoamano

Horology Curious
11/1/19
The Daytona 116506 Titanium case is different from the Daytona 116500 SS case.
The QC pictures are of the CORRECT 116506 Ti case with all the correct marking. The first few pictures on Chazingtime are correct, the last few are wrong (I think they re-used the picture of the Daytona 116500)

Daytona-116509-SS-Noob-1-1-Best-Edition-Ice-Blue-Dial-On-SS-Bracelet-SA4130_-13.jpg

pre-order-daytona-116506-ss-case-brown-ceramic-bezel-noob-1-1-best-edition-ice-blue-dial-on-ss-bracelet-sa4130.jpg

Yea! They probably re used the photos of another watch! I should cross check the other sites! Thanks for clarifying! :)

I was looking through all the latest NOOB daytona models and was really super keen in getting one. Particularly the RG Oysterflex and something caught my eye. Its really sad to know that they did such a good job replicating the gen movement, case and strap but they had to screw up the printing on the dial. All the daytona dials which has non-numeral hour markers, the "R" in "ROLEX" is suposed to start from the "T" in "OYSTER" and the "X" in "ROLEX" is supposed to end at the "T" in "PERPETUAL". Simply put the words on the dial are misaligned. I hope they make a new version and update the dial. Considering its the most expensive replicated version of the daytona, they shouldnt have made such minor mistakes.

darki699

Horology Curious
11/12/18
Israel

Yeah this is the same watch, the pics on the site are not accurate, the back pic, for instance, is of another piece. I had the same issue but when I talked to Ken before ordering, he assured me all the stamps were intact.