• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Installing new Stem on my 5513

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Hoping another member can offer advice to me. My Stem snapped and I need to install a new one. Whats the best method to size and cut a new stem on my 2824-2 5513? Thanks guys!

Respect - GS16610

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm going to assume you are competent removing and reinserting the stem into the movement. You will need to do this several times.

Start by screwing your crown tightly onto the new stem. Insert it into the movement. Move the crown to the 3 positions so you get an idea of how much to cut. Place it in the '1' position (winding). Measure the distance from the bottom of the crown itself (not the post) to the top of the threaded tube. This is best done with a digital caliper. If you don't have one, use whatever you do have. You can use a toothpick and make tick marks on it with a thin point Sharpie for example

This amount, minus about 1mm is what you need to cut off the new stem. This will result in your winding position sitting just outside the first thread of the tube.

Now that you know pretty closely the desired amount to be cut, actually cut LESS to allow for filling, sanding and margin for error. Plan on cutting more than once, maybe more than twice. The last thing you want is to cut it too short unless you have 2 and want to start over, lol.

Good luck!

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
KJ2020 Thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. Your directions are clear and easy to envision. I will let you know how it goes when my stem arrives.

Respect- GS16610

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 Thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. Your directions are clear and easy to envision. I will let you know how it goes when my stem arrives.

Respect- GS16610

You're welcome bro. This approach assumes you are screwing the crown onto the new thread to the exact same place each time you test fit it. You can mark the stem just below the post to help accomplish this. Use a dot of white paint or a bright color Sharpie line, for example. Clean it off with alcohol when you no longer need it. Also, when done cutting, glue the crown in place to the stem. GS Hypo cement is great. I don't recommend crazy glue - it's too hard to undo if needed and it has some undesirable off-gassing properties not welcome around a watch.

Reactions: gunsmoke16610

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
"assumes you are screwing the crown onto the new thread to the exact same place each time you test fit it." Great point, this will save me a headache. I just ordered GS Hypo cement and a Gen 703 and stem is in route. Ill follow back up. Have a good one!

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
"assumes you are screwing the crown onto the new thread to the exact same place each time you test fit it." Great point, this will save me a headache. I just ordered GS Hypo cement and a Gen 703 and stem is in route. Ill follow back up. Have a good one!

I should have specified you will have to measure the distance the stem threads into the crown the first time, then adjust it after you cut the stem, ie. move your mark down the stem by the same amount you cut it each time. The objective is to eliminate stem placement into the crown as a variable.

Better stated as "assumes you are screwing the crown onto the new thread to the exact same RELATIVE place each time you test fit it"

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
KJ2020 Followed your directions, stem install and fitting was easy. Thank you for the advice bro.....