• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modding Submariner V9/ARF

nicolaibannan

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
5/12/18
Hi Guys.

to start off, im not completely new in the replica world, but i am new in the modding of the rep world, and im not the smartest person with all the knowledge in the world, so bear with me :p
Im looking to buy a new submariner, i have the nodate now because i never liked the date on the Noob and ARF watches, but with the new V9 i think they improved a lot so..

1 - Should i buy the V9 or the ARF? Witch one is the best if i want to mod?
2 - And if i decide to mod, how much would it be to do the things that normally is done when modding? - i read all this all the time "black hole crystal"
3 - And is there a trusted "modder" you can send your rep to and he'll fix it for you?

Any advice for a noob ;)?

Sorry if i sound like a fool
Best regards NC :)

** EDIT **
If anyone has one for sale, feel free to dm me

Last edited:
Reactions: Dsquared25

John

Watchful
Certified
10/1/17
1. From what I know, the ARF is a better watch out of the box. As in, if you don’t plan on doing any mods, ARF is probably the way to go. However, the v9 case dimensions are much closer to the gen, so any mods you do that involves swapping with gen parts is going to be better for the v9.

2. You can have the watch modded anyway you like. For a 116610, the most common mod is swapping out the sapphire crystal with a better one that has better anti-reflective (AR) coating on the cyclops lens. The AR coating on a gen crystal is so clear that it’s almost as if you’re looking into a black hole when examining the date window.

Prof’s black hole is a service that he does to add a very high quality anti reflective coating to your crystal. I believe it costs somewhere between USD$100-200 for this service.

Another option you could go for is to swap out your v9 crystal for a gen, which usually runs for USD$300-400.

Other than that, the bezel insert is the second most common thing people like to mod for a 116610. But again you can mod anything you’d like.

3. There are a lot of modders on this forum. You can find a bunch of them on the supporting vendor’s section.

Reactions: nicolaibannan

nicolaibannan

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
5/12/18
I just bought the V9 Noob, because after some heavy thinking i just find the date so much better, but i think the cyclops is a bit off, so what im thinking about is either replacing the entire front of the watch witch is so expensive, or just removing the entire cyclops, i know its not that common, but i find it pretty cool, and another plus, its a cheap mod!

But im still (half) looking for a high end modded replica, Datejust 41mm, Submariner and the GMT II.