• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do I open a sealed plastic watch?

fraswa

7/5/17
Hello
I bought this nos POS with a genuine ETA2824 to be swapped in my arf sub
But
How can I get it opened?
The case is a single piece plastic and the plexy is pressed in
I think i could force remove the crystal but how do I remove the stem?
Probably this was top loaded and inserted stem
00f8c0f93b66e3f00f13783dc3aea255.jpg
21eae432e83a84740e34a7a92b806bc6.jpg
76f18fac5a8e99934813d7f73a485c21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Boiling pot of water, maybe the microwave? I’m anxious for the correct answer lol good luck!

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Never saw one like this before, but if I had it to do and in the absence of any proper instructions, this is how I would approach it.

Start drilling a tiny hole in the caseback right above the stem release button. Vacuum all the plexi shavings away before punching through completely to minimize debris entering the case. Use the proper size bit to fit a 1.2mm screwdriver (120) into the hole. This will ensure the screwdriver gets stopped by the ledges around the stem release and you don't foul the keyless works. Remove the stem. Plug up the stem hole and tape over the drill hole in prep for the next step.

Using a sanding disc and a variable speed drill at a low- medium setting, grind off the lugs so you have a completely round enclosure. Continue grinding the perimeter down so as to reduce the thickness. Keep an alcohol soaked paper towel or wet wipe handy to clear away debris. When the perimeter is very thin, put it in a vise with the edge upright. Take a small saw blade or a poly rope saw and start working a cut through. Keep the vacuum working to keep debris away from the inside. Work the cut around til you can pry the case open.

Reactions: fraswa and macarone

mui.richard

Renowned Member
16/10/14
I'd probably try using an exacto knife to go around the edges of the caseback and then try to pry it open with a screwdriver. I don't like the idea of plastic shavings getting into the movement which will definitely call for a service before you call use it.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Reactions: macarone

fraswa

7/5/17
Never saw one like this before, but if I had it to do and in the absence of any proper instructions, this is how I would approach it.

Start drilling a tiny hole in the caseback right above the stem release button. Vacuum all the plexi shavings away before punching through completely to minimize debris entering the case. Use the proper size bit to fit a 1.2mm screwdriver (120) into the hole. This will ensure the screwdriver gets stopped by the ledges around the stem release and you don't foul the keyless works. Remove the stem. Plug up the stem hole and tape over the drill hole in prep for the next step.

Using a sanding disc and a variable speed drill at a low- medium setting, grind off the lugs so you have a completely round enclosure. Continue grinding the perimeter down so as to reduce the thickness. Keep an alcohol soaked paper towel or wet wipe handy to clear away debris. When the perimeter is very thin, put it in a vise with the edge upright. Take a small saw blade or a poly rope saw and start working a cut through. Keep the vacuum working to keep debris away from the inside. Work the cut around til you can pry the case open.

thanks!
I slowly removed plastic from the back with a small tool just to insert the 120 screwdriver and released the stem
then popped the crystal from the side prying the soft plastic as i did not care about the dial and hands