• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New noob v8 problem

DOHCPOWER

Horology Curious
27/5/17
Hi guys
Hope all are doing good. After being on this forum for more than a year and doing a lot of reading i finanly decided to purchase a replica. I purchased a Noob v8 no date sub from puretime. I received my watxh in exactly 7 days after making the purchase so that was very good. I received my watxh an hour back. I adjusted the bracelet and adjusted time. The crown did not feel smooth. After wearing the watch i tried adjusting the time again. And the crown just seperated from the watch.
I have a Gunault and few genuine autos from tag and seiko. I have never experienced something like this. This noob sub is a Eta movement watch. What do you guys sugges. I should do. I was not really expecting it to break ao quickly. I am so sad right now ☹️. I am sure sending it back and forth will cost a lot to me tooo.

4bc49bde36caac1a792e9d104c80ae21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Don't panic this is likely not broken but the stem has simply not been seated fully.

I'll leave it to more competent members to advise you of how to re-seat it.

DOHCPOWER

Horology Curious
27/5/17
Don't panic this is likely not broken but the stem has simply not been seated fully.

I'll leave it to more competent members to advise you of how to re-seat it.

Any idea why this happened? Is this problem related to eta movement or just my bad luck? And would a genuine eta movement help me get rid of such issues?

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
My opinion: please dont try to put genuine ETA movements into these replicas. With personal experience of having purchased ~10-12, movement issues are a hit or miss. Most people on these forums dont care if the movement is running +/-30s/d or +/-3. ts about the aesthetics.

As far as the broken stem is concerned, contact TD and ask him to get it fixed. Will cost extra w.r.t. shipping. But much lesser than replacing movement or asking a local watchsmith to fix.

DOHCPOWER

Horology Curious
27/5/17
My opinion: please dont try to put genuine ETA movements into these replicas. With personal experience of having purchased ~10-12, movement issues are a hit or miss. Most people on these forums dont care if the movement is running +/-30s/d or +/-3. ts about the aesthetics.

As far as the broken stem is concerned, contact TD and ask him to get it fixed. Will cost extra w.r.t. shipping. But much lesser than replacing movement or asking a local watchsmith to fix.

Stem does not seem broken. It seems that some locking fucntion for the stem is not working or broken. I might be wrong. I am a noob in mechnical watches.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
My opinion: please dont try to put genuine ETA movements into these replicas.

Why? I've always found a new, Swiss ETA runs better and has a better reserve than the Asian clones.

I would definitely recommend that the OP get a local watchsmith to fix this issue. Sending it back to China will take months and cost the OP shipping charges.

Reactions: Rx4Time

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Any idea why this happened? Is this problem related to eta movement or just my bad luck? And would a genuine eta movement help me get rid of such issues?

The stem is held in place by a spring loaded lever and sometimes it comes loose or may not have been fully seated during assembly. Of course there is the possibility that something is broken or worn or not formed properly during manufacture but more than likely is was simply not seated in the first place.

Re-seating it is a very simple procedure for a competent tinkerer but not so simple for someone not familiar with pulling watches apart as it needs the caseback at least removed to access the stem lock button, then it could be a 1 second job if it just needs re-seating or could be a much bigger job if the keyless is out of sinc or if something is damaged.

Contact your TD and sometimes they will offer to pay for at least part of the watchmakers fee but as noted above I wouldn't be sending it back to China.

Oh and replacing movement with a Genuine ETA is always a good thing but it will not be any different as far as the stem installation is concerned and this could have happened with a Genuine watch/movement just as easily.

DOHCPOWER

Horology Curious
27/5/17
The stem is held in place by a spring loaded lever and sometimes it comes loose or may not have been fully seated during assembly. Of course there is the possibility that something is broken or worn or not formed properly during manufacture but more than likely is was simply not seated in the first place.

Re-seating it is a very simple procedure for a competent tinkerer but not so simple for someone not familiar with pulling watches apart as it needs the caseback at least removed to access the stem lock button, then it could be a 1 second job if it just needs re-seating or could be a much bigger job if the keyless is out of sinc or if something is damaged.

Contact your TD and sometimes they will offer to pay for at least part of the watchmakers fee but as noted above I wouldn't be sending it back to China.

Oh and replacing movement with a Genuine ETA is always a good thing but it will not be any different as far as the stem installation is concerned and this could have happened with a Genuine watch/movement just as easily.

Thanks. Yes I will not be sending the watch as from peoples experience it will be a long wait. Secondly I will have to pay insane amount of taxes on the watch again due to customs. IT will be a very costly as have tu pay for shipping as well. I was not expecting such poor quality control from the Ads as I had specialy requested while purchasing to check the working of watch properly as sending watch back is expensive. I will try local watch makers but I do not have any confidence in them as I am from a third world country and without good watcg smiths etc.
Probably my first annd last attempt and buying a replica. btw my credit card got charged with some weird transaction today so had to cancel that as well by calling bank. My bad luck continues,

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
It's a shame that your first Rep experience has been bad but unfortunately it's a part of the hobby and there's no guarantees.

I was lucky as I had a reasonable early Rep buying experience with no major faults but I am also capable of minor repairs so even though I did have a few minor issues with some of my early Reps I was able to repair them myself.

If I didn't have those skills and had received a defective Rep first up I would likely also not have continued buying them.

DOHCPOWER

Horology Curious
27/5/17
It's a shame that your first Rep experience has been bad but unfortunately it's a part of the hobby and there's no guarantees.

I was lucky as I had a reasonable early Rep buying experience with no major faults but I am also capable of minor repairs so even though I did have a few minor issues with some of my early Reps I was able to repair them myself.

If I didn't have those skills and had received a defective Rep first up I would likely also not have continued buying them.

Is there an AD who can service the watch properly for extra charges before sending the new watch? If I coule do minor repairs my self that would have been awsome and solved issues ????

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Mate the TD's are just dealers so although some of them do offer some level of servicing.

To have a good experience with Rep watches is much the same as with all hobbies and that is that as an enthusiast you need to fully educate yourself in all aspects of that hobby.

For the guy that just want's to buy a watch it is my opinion that he is better off to stick with budget Gens if he doesn't want to pay the high prices for luxury Gens as there are simply too many possible problems in the Rep world.

Not to say that you can't still fully enjoy this hobby but you need to know what to expect and one of those things is that these things do often happen and you need to have knowledge of what your options are.

There are lots of how-to threads and info to help you do your own repairs and also members and repairers that you can send your watch to.

Read the new member threads and stickys and most of your answers can be found.

Good luck.