• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Building and modding a « fantasy » Oyster Perpetual.

mascob1

6/11/16
Hi every one!
First I have to say I’m not a professional, so my work is not to a professional watchmaker level, but In my job I have access to CNC lathes and CNC centers and to Stainless Steel.
So I decided to try to make some “fantasy” watches with the material I had and with some “cheapies” watch cases…
Special Thanks to manodeoro who encouraged me to embark on this project, I made some parts for him and I was happy to see the result.
The watch case I had was a milgauss case, with a hugly green crystal gasket and really big lugs…Bezel was too big, but the case measuring 39mm and 6mm of thickness, too thin for a “real” milgauss but perfect for a 39mm Oyster perpetual…
1fc4.JPG

39mm Oysters perpetual have rounded bezels, so I decided to machine a rounded bezel.
I also need to grind and sand the lugs because OP’s lugs are thinner than the case I had.
23f8.JPG

3427.JPG

505f.JPG

I need to machine a new gasket too because the green one was horrible and completely off for a OP.

13.JPG

Thanks to Spatiumtemporis, I managed to machine a white nylon gasket that fits with the new bezel and the new crystal ( For that I need 5 tries: It’s difficult to make a gasket that tighten the bezel on the case and tighten the crystal on the bezel…)
6b3f.JPG

After all I had a “blue milgauss “dial, very nice, with a beautiful sunburst…But definitely not gen-like at all!
I put it in the case, with of course an automatic movement and OP hands…
The result was nice…
8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

After that, I found a bracelet and a claps, and finaly polish the side of the watch.
Yes I know, this is clearly not gen-like, that doesn’t fool anyone, but In final I had a old unused case and now I have my “own” and “unique” Oster perpetual.

7.JPG

Reactions: johnlogan

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Very nice, I like it :)

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
nice work man ! thanks again for the gasket :) you have great skills !

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
well you don't see many here making their own bezel so i'd say you're pretty awsome man !

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
mascob1 ... great job my friend ??? you already know I love your work and that watch but I'll say it once again here.

Your work is really high level you know, and you're definitely to modest ... BUT it helps you to always progess so keep being yoursel, a modest and highly skilled guy.

mascob1

6/11/16
mascob1 ... great job my friend ??? you already know I love your work and that watch but I'll say it once again here.

Your work is really high level you know, and you're definitely to modest ... BUT it helps you to always progess so keep being yoursel, a modest and highly skilled guy.

Thanks a lot my friend!
Yes, progress is the way I want!
I'm far away from the "high level" you talk, but my next machining case could be better than this one...;)

mrjoe

22/8/15
Nice work buddy! I can understand the value of building something of your own.