• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Molotow paint mod doesn't dry?

JayRoc

Horology Curious
12/12/17
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if its a silly question or not but here goes, I was under the impression that the famous Molotow 227 metallic silver mod for bezels would dry as it is acrylic, but I tried a few times already (on my 45mm POrikaa) with varied amounts of paint applied and also leaving it to dry up to 2-3 days but the paint just easily comes off with a finger swipe which is very annoying :/. Sometimes I just wanna wipe some dirt off the bezel and end up with a silver finger...

I couldn't find any information on this online or in the forums so I'd appreciate to get some information whether this is normal with this paint mod, and also whether there is some way to make it at least more permanent or harder to wipe off.

P.S. How the hell do you paint the triangle and wipe it after without making it look terrible?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if its a silly question or not but here goes, I was under the impression that the famous Molotow 227 metallic silver mod for bezels would dry as it is acrylic, but I tried a few times already (on my 45mm POrikaa) with varied amounts of paint applied and also leaving it to dry up to 2-3 days but the paint just easily comes off with a finger swipe which is very annoying :/. Sometimes I just wanna wipe some dirt off the bezel and end up with a silver finger...

I couldn't find any information on this online or in the forums so I'd appreciate to get some information whether this is normal with this paint mod, and also whether there is some way to make it at least more permanent or harder to wipe off.

P.S. How the hell do you paint the triangle and wipe it after without making it look terrible?

Not familiar with this watch but does it have engraved markers? Also what finish is it? Acrylic won't dry and stay put on aluminum or SS or any metal really. Most folks use it on ceramic inserts with engraved, recessed marker slots.

JayRoc

Horology Curious
12/12/17
It is not a metallic bezel, but indeed a ceramic one with engraved and recessed slots, same as every Rolex rep that this mod was applied on. This is what makes it weird that it won't dry.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
can you post a photo?
normally there is no adhesion for acrylics or anything else on ceramic coating, you should subtract it or use a thin epoxy layer of undercoat to create adhesion for the paint.

ps: the "non drying effect" could be caused by you. When you apply 1K paint layers you should wait the previous layer to dry or you "lock" its' "breath" with the new one

Last edited:

JayRoc

Horology Curious
12/12/17
For some reason I cannot upload a photo (size always too large or link doesn't work) but here is a watch from Reg's albums with the same bezel: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-83hJBf/i-q7xmFxB

The white numbers are engraved. I usually apply 1 layer and then wait a few hours or the next day for the next one, the first layer never ends up drying, and it's easy to wipe off with my fingers, and I followed a couple of methods of application.

Could you please explain more on how to apply the epoxy? I guess you mean apply a layer of it carefully in the engravings and once it dries paint it over? Do you know if it will wipe easy off if I get it onto the black ceramic or something like that?

thanks!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Use www.imgbb.com for image posting or RWI's own picr.me

Upload your photos there, copy the BB embed code and put the codes in your post

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
For some reason I cannot upload a photo (size always too large or link doesn't work) but here is a watch from Reg's albums with the same bezel: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-83hJBf/i-q7xmFxB

The white numbers are engraved. I usually apply 1 layer and then wait a few hours or the next day for the next one, the first layer never ends up drying, and it's easy to wipe off with my fingers, and I followed a couple of methods of application.

Could you please explain more on how to apply the epoxy? I guess you mean apply a layer of it carefully in the engravings and once it dries paint it over? Do you know if it will wipe easy off if I get it onto the black ceramic or something like that?

thanks!

I looked at the watch you linked, are you certain that's a ceramic insert? The markers don't look engraved at all, it's hard to tell from the pics, but I don't doubt what you say. They are certainly not nearly as deep as the Rolex marker cuts. I have tried and failed on a Rolex insert paint mod with an aftermarket insert that is about half the depth of the original rep insert. The main thing that allows for the Molotow paint mod to be viable is that it is not ever touched, being inaccessible in its lowered groove. As for it not drying, maybe you got a bad paint pen. Take a look at my post about applying the mod to see if anything there helps you. If you put a pill sized blob of paint on a plastic stick, it should be completely dry in about 30 minutes. I have to keep creating new blobs to dip from because they dry so quickly.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...68-my-molotow-cocktail-with-springs-and-balls

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The upper insert in the pic is aftermarket, the engraved cuts are too shallow. I painted them, wiped off the excess and in the process wiped off a lot of the paint I wanted to stay. It was quickly apparent to me that this mod wasn't going to work on an insert with such shallow marker cutouts.

15293555857753.jpg

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
imur is blocking RWI, use picr.me, rwi's own image hosting

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
thanks!
Look, we have to treat it as much "professionaly" can :)
If there are engraved, (why on earth are painted white? anyway..) the "silver" that you looking for is underneath (aluminium glass blasted).
Did you check if this white can be peeled off with a tought toothpick? (only with something wooden that will leave unmarked the alu surface)
If you like to use epoxy undercoat you can use a thin paintbrush. You can wipe off any fault in black ceramic when it is fresh.
Check its durability after a day and if it is ok proceed with silver.

I don't like this "solution" to be honest. I like things more "gen" made and durable.

I would search the way that i could remove the coating from the bezel incert (unmounted of the bezel of cource).
Caustic soda NaOH in warm water could be an option but be VERY careful cause can ruin the aluminium if you leave it over 1-2 minutes. (not much harm for skin but use rubber cloves and a hook from steel wire).
If the enrgaves are shinny (i don't think so) you can "surface" them with sand paper powder (rub two pieces of 120 gritt to produce it) and a tought toothpic.
When you achive the engravings looking glass blusted and the upper surface shinny, you can use Duracoat or even better Cerakote paints to repaint the black.
You can "mask" engravings with a thick mixture of flour and water or latex powder and water etc. Remove it if you choose Cerakote before the oven curring...

It may sounds a lot of work or more pricey than molotow spray can but, come on! Gen cost 300$ and yours is fine and engraved allready! finish it.

Reactions: cwfmon

JayRoc

Horology Curious
12/12/17
Thanks for the great advice people!

The numbers are indeed engraved, but definitely not as deep as in the rolexes. I will try to remove the white ''paint'' in the engraving and figure out a way to get the molotow paint to stick better, and if that doesn't work I'll order a new ceramic bezel that is more gen like. My only concerns are whether it will fit, as Reg (Narikaa) sources his reps from thailand so not sure if it would fit the model.

I'm really surprised I never noticed that the original had no engravings and a platinum colour, so they apparently the rep got the ceramic extremely wrong but it was quite a bargain so I guess it's worth fixing!

If anyone has experience with POrikas and modding let me know if you found a different solution, cheers!

Dylan32

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/18
EU
It is not a metallic bezel, but indeed a ceramic one with engraved and recessed slots, same as every Rolex rep that this mod was applied on. This is what makes it weird that it won't dry.

same thing, I agree
smeared.

jetguy

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
24/7/18
My molotow paint mod on my blnr gmtii won't dry either! One finger wipe, and it smears. Even worst if it gets wet. I had the watch pressure tested so I can go swimming w it, but there is no chance the molotow paint will hold up.