• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help needed on 23j IWC 51111 clone movement

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Guys, I’m in desperate need of the broad RWI knowledge...

The strap of my IWC le petit prince (zf) broke and the watch fell on stone tilles. Man, in my mind I already saw the glass shatter. But luckily this didn’t happen. However, after 15 minutes or so I noticed the watch stopped but also was 45 minutes ahead. Strange.

Thats is not the only thing. I also noticed the seconds hand has bend a little.
I removed the caseback to have a look. Looks OK to me.
The hands move like they should when I pull the crown.
When I carefully touch the spoked wheel beneath the rotor (sorry don’t know what’s it called) the hands move, like there’s is some tension.

Is there anyone who can help me make this beauty run again?

I9VJb.jpg

I2Ai3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
O, The date is also just fine (despite how it looks in the picture)

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Impatiently as I am, I just went with it and disassembled and reassembled the movement. ( I did not disassembled the dial side of the movement. No idea how... don’t see reachable dial hooks that hold the dial in place)

But back to the reassembly.
I think the escapement wheel was dislocated, because now it moves as it should again.
However... the first I noticed the stem wouldn’t fit back in. I did the procedure again and now the stem fits. But the the stem doesn’t drive the gears as it should. Almost doesn’t wind, very difficult to set the hands, impossible to set the date and last but not least... the movement doesn’t start.

So... any thoughts?
The only things that comes to mind is that a dislocated some gears when inserting the stem...

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Back again... (this is getting a whole story by itself)

Disassembled the darn thing again to check if the sliding pinion and yoke where in place. ... they where.

So then the problem must be on the other side. I was able to reach the dial hooks, but unfortunately the hour hand doesn’t want to come of. I don’t dare using more force.

Still looking for somebody with the million dollar answer...

JdHah.jpg

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
yllekp Well thank you for bringing this to the attention of some experts.
iwantareplica Thank you as well. So placing the sliding pinion on to the yoke again is not the same, right? Sorry, I’m just a watch enthusiast trying to fix his own watch.
I carefully placed the sliding pinion on to the yoke and the setting lever (I guess the gold colored thingy is called the setting lever) on to the sliding pinion. As in the picture above.

I assume the other end of the yoke must be stuck in front of the clutch wheel then?

By the way, after reassembly the stem won’t insert. So the problem must be with the keyless. Right?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's a keyless problem. Re-assemble the keyless(correctly) with the stem in place, time set position is usually the best/easiest.

iwantareplica

Horology Curious
16/2/16
That piece your seeing in the clutch wheel is only a brake for setting. It is moved by the clutch wheel.
the part you need to put back onto the clutch wheel is dial side. It moves the clutch wheel.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Is ghe balance ok? Maybe a broken pivot or indeed keyless...

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
And behold, the magic of the forum unfolds...

capice01 yeah, after first reassemble the balance wheel and escapement wheel move like the should.

tripdog iwantareplica I followed the instructions as in this video https://youtu.be/0b83l-1DmlQ
Not exactly the same movement nor issues, but I gave me an idea how to reassemble that part.

But OK I will give the removal of the dial a new try. I guess I have to use more force on the hour hand if I want it to come off.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
JAJTQ.jpg

OK the dial is off. Unfortunately I don’t have the time today for the next step.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Update:
Keyless seemed fine.
I’ve rebuilt the movement serval times today,
but I can’t get the watch to run. Seems I’m back to square one.The escapement wheel is the biggest challenge to put in place. But it seems to be in place correctly. If I flick the balance wheel, the escapement wheel moves.

Coulde really use some advice here..

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Then you have no power through the train. By flicking the balance wheel you imitating the power that should be at the escapement.

remove the pallet fork, pallet bridge and balance. Wind the movement, it should run down,

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Then you have no power through the train. By flicking the balance wheel you imitating the power that should be at the escapement.

remove the pallet fork, pallet bridge and balance. Wind the movement, it should run down,

Thanks,
During the brake down I came across situations several times where the balance was removed (not the fork though). The watch has never run during the brake down. I see the watch winds up (power reserve indicator and occasionally the sound of the main spring unwinding). I did notice the second and third wheel (I assume it’s called that) gets stuck when I try to move it. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it gets stuck. Al the bother gears seems to turn as they should.
I’ll open it up again tomorrow.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
OK, I think I sourced it to the escapement wheel. If I remove it, the second and third wheel turn freely. Does the escapement wheel look weird to you guys? Should there be a extra pin on top?

CZe32.jpg

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
looks like the top pivot is missing? it should be a thin pivot like the one on the bottom...imo

Cu0hp.jpg

this example s not a Seagull wheel but it has to have the pivots

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
capice01 Yes, that was exactly my thought.
It’s also very plausible that something like that could happen when the watch dropped.

Is is mine a seagull movement by the way?

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
iwantareplica do you (or anybody else of course) know the part number of the escapement wheel? I will try to order one from cousins