• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sourcing Parts for Panerai Builds (Mini Fiddy, 42mm Radi)

Vonn

15/11/16
Several thoughts keep distracting me from work and I can't seem to find an answer to them.

Being a person with a small wrist, I can not wear the 422 or the 372. Which deeply saddens me because I really like the combination of the fiddy case, the sandwich dial and the golden pencil hands (specially the vintage double pencil hands like with the 587).
But being someone with ambitions I thought to myself: why not build it? Already put together a broken 432 and put different hands on it, can't be that hard, eh? It wals already done for a 372 (vintage style) https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/78136-vintage-pam-build-61521-mini-fiddy/

1.) I am unsure about one thing: will a 111 sandwich dial (i want a big second instead of the small mini fiddy one) fit into a minifiddy case? Heard that there are differences in dial size but Jackson supplys nearly no measurements.

2.) If not: What kind of sandwich dial is (readily) available for a mini fiddy case? While I know that the minifiddy is a fantasy watch, at least I want to keep it correct and not a Radiomir dial in a Luminor case.

2.) I recently discovered Getat watch and saw that they sell the parts I need for that build at a reasonable price and would even put it together. But it appears to me they are not a TD here or at RWG. Any Idea where else I can get the parts from? Probably even built? Does Jackson Tse offer the same services? Getat lists a special part I need for anothe build as well (44mm golden hands with big second) and it is not listed with Jackson. Plus I want the PAM branded dial for reasons, not the MM dial.

3.) I own a 338 that features rose gold hands (yuck!) I want to replace them with yellow gold hands. The movement is a ST25. All my research has been unsucssful up to now.
I am looking for either a set of single pencil style hands or double pencil to get it gold plated without getting ripped of (like in 50€ for a set of Hands via TD). Plating them would be surprisingly cheap, I only need to relume them.

4.) I'm looking for a set of golden hands for a 6497 with big second, sold out with Helena, Getat is not a TD but has them listed, Jackson doesn't list them. Any source? NOT fiddy hands as they are too wide.

The fiddy build I have in my mind features a 6497, mini fiddy case with plexi and closed caseback, sandwich dial with big second, golden hands (preferrably the athaya vintage double pencil ones), superlume. Are these parts actually available in this combination?

Hope to gather some useful information from you guys.
(Would have asked over at HF as well, but apparently all my registering failed)

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I was found cali pensils on ebay searching for 1mm longer than those that Jacksons' mini fiddy has. I was forgot Getat, i would prefer them.
Serious builders here (not like me :) said that dials close to 36.6mm are ok for mini fiddy case so i bought the one i like and waiting.
I was build a thin closed caseback for me, now i would ask if 45mm radiomirs from Getat fits.

I can't believe that it will be an easy job so if your don't have any machinery skills, i suggest to have a builder do it for you.
If your wrist are close to 6.5" i suggest to think again for a 47mm case. They wear like 45mm pilots.

10Lld.jpg

Vonn

15/11/16
The luminor dials are usualls 34mm. The fiddy ones are usually listed at 36mm, like Radiomir. I know that Luminor cases will fit dials up to 36mm depending on the case maker.
What I am unsure about is, if the 44mm fiddy case will fit a 34mm dial without having a gap between dial and inner bezel as I want a technically correct Luminor dial (either Luminor Panerai and then no second hands, or Luminor Marina with second hands).

The builder of the watch from the rwg link up above stated that he used athaya hands (the ones I prefer more) with a mini fiddy case so they should fit into the case.
What you need is the following case back: http://www.vintagewatchparts.co.uk/s...372-bezel.html Wonder why jackson does not list it at Military Time.
I guess if you want it slim, you can still shave it down with a lathe.

Anything bigger than 45mm is a no-go on my wrist. Just last week a saw a guy with an unbranded 47mm Cali on his wirst, about the same wrist size. In Germany we call this the "Gullydeckel-Look" which translates to "sewer-cover". Looks ridiculous IMHO and only possible if you dont wear cuffed shirts.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I ask Jackson about and they told me that they only have the low one with crystal... i don't like it on a 50s watch.
I think that is build by vwp for Jacksons case.
i will buy one from vintage parts if i succeed with my case modification to 6152 :dr3m3l:

Vonn

15/11/16
Bump.
Need more info on Getat as nobody else is able to source the hands I need without a huge extra.

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
Reviving this thread, anyone know of any source left for a mini fiddy case?

Vonn

15/11/16
Maybe a bit late, but I've got a spare one. Located in EU.

PGorbson

Known Member
Supporter
19/8/23
old old thread, but trying to revive for mini fiddy (44mm) caseback options? Vintagewatchparts link above out of stock….

Anyone know of solid caseback options with 36.3-8 mm thread diameter for these case sets?